PDA

View Full Version : Another One

snoopy
10-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Ok, so my yard sale buddy calls me and asks me if I'm interested in a .50 inline. I'm not really an inline person, but I tell him Yeah,sure, if its cheap enough, 60 bucks he says. Sooo, I go over and its a Traditions buck hunter pro, 1/32 barrel, exterior looks nice, nice soft case, capper, caps, so I pay him and throw it in the truck. I did notice a little rust in the barrel, but didn't have a light. I get it home and start taking it apart [cant help it] bolt comes out fine , nipple comes out fine, cant get the breech plug to move. I look through the nipple hole and the barrel is pretty rusty, so I've got it soaking with kerosene and ATF. I know this has been covered before, but can't seem to find the threads, I can let it soak as long as I need to. Any other advice? I hate to think I took a beating on it, but I just may have, lesson learned.

roverboy
10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
You'll probably be able to get it out. How long have you been soaking it? I'd just try it every once in a while to see if I could break it loose. There's other products that might work like Kroil, Knock it Loose, and I'm sure others. Don't worry, I think you'll figure something out.

snoopy
10-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Soaked it overnight roverboy, and got it out a little while ago. Rifling looks good, still some rust in the lands, but I think its gonna work. I wish I had some projectiles, but all I have right now is .54 and .44 haha, of course.

mooman76
10-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Like Roverbuy said. You should be able to get it out one way or another. If worse comes to worse, leave it in like a regular sidelock. My guess is whoever owned it originally never took it out or hadn't in a long time. For what you paid for it you could get your money out of it easy parting it out and someone with some skills would buy the barrel, even rusty.

johnson1942
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
if your gun is a 1/32 twist your in really good luck. the custom inline builder who built my sons inline tested a lot of twist and the 1/32 shoots a basic sabot with a 250 grain pistol .451 or .452 pistol bullet really accurate. keeps one hole ragged at 100 yards and wouldnt be afraid to try a buck at 300 yards. my son shoots 120 grains of black horn 209 and gets that hollow point pistol bullet that is copper clad up to 2200 ft per sec. you may not have a 209 primer ignition but it will shoot other powders well. we buy our sabots in bulk from mmp off of the internet and our pistol bullets from wall mart. shot at a target at a real 180 yards and it cut dead center. i gave my other older son my 1/32 twist lyman hawken type rife and that gun is just as accurate as the young sons inline. so again if you do have a 1/32 twist gun you are really lucky to find it. have fun

GunSlingerNM
10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
If I remember correctly there is a breach plug that uses 209 that screws right into that gun. Good luck still sounds like a nice find to me.

10-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Wish I could find those "project ML's". Too much fun tinkering with them.

snoopy
10-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Here's a pic, I know they all look the same, nothing like a nice wood stock n brass. Barrel turned out better than I expected, can't wait to shoot it, love the truglo sights for my old tired eyes. Any recommendations on hunting loads/ projectiles? I like the suggestion for the .451 sabot, I have a round ball mold that size, will that work? I need to research making sabots as I have never done that. Maybe I need another mold, haha. Thanks to everyone for your responses, I feel pretty good about the rifle now and what a way to spend a dreary sunday!83669