PDA

View Full Version : New reloader and a curious problem

hswaters
10-06-2013, 12:42 AM
I only recently started to reload and cast my own bullets. I am using a Lee tumble lube type of mould in 125 grain 9mm LRN. I started out using Winchester primers and had no problems with them. Then I got an opportunity to purchase 5000 CCI small pistol primers. So today I shot about 100 of the ones I loaded with CCI and about 15 did not fire. They show what I assume is a good dent in the primer. I loaded them to 1.125 OAL and all are within 5 thousandths of that size with most being exact. I pulled the bullets on two of them and put one of the empty cases in my pistol and it fired. So what did I do wrong? I am seating the primers flush with the back of the brass case, should I not seat them that deep? I also am crimping them a little on the last step with the Lee crimping die.

Dryball
10-06-2013, 01:27 AM
CCI primers are famous for having the hardest cups. A long time ago, I found this out the hard way while hunting. The easiest fix is to swap or sell the primers and get a different brand. Some people love the CCI's but I've not had this problem with any others

chevyiron420
10-06-2013, 01:35 AM
I have the same problems with them in y revolvers that are lightly sprung, like my Smith's and Taurus. Make sure you seat them fully because if the primer moves forward any it cushions the firing pin blow.

jmort
10-06-2013, 01:36 AM
I have not experienced any problems with CCI primers. I use small pistol, large rifle and 209s. I cannot disagree with the experience of others, just relating my own positive experience and would suggest ensuring the primer being seated slightly under flush. Properly seated primers, of most all brands seems to make them work with reliability..

waksupi
10-06-2013, 01:41 AM
I contacted CCI about this some years ago. Their primers have a somewhat sharper edge than other brands, and need positive seating to function right. Once I knew that, no more misfires. You aren't seating them all the way. If they aren't seated firmly, the anvil in the primer cannot function correctly.

dondiego
10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
They usually fire on the second strike since the first firing pin strike seats the primer to the bottom of the cup.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
... 125 grain 9mm LRN... .... I also am crimping them a little on the last step with the Lee crimping die.
I don't think your problem is primers.

9mm Luger headspaces on the case mouth. and shouldn't be crimped. You can use the crimp die to 'just' remove the flare of the case mouth, but anything more and the case will push into the barrel and the firing pin will strike only AIR !

Good luck,
Jon

mdi
10-06-2013, 11:26 AM
The only firearm I have had a problem with CCI primers is a striker fired 9mm. I went to Winchester primers seated with a good "preload" and no more FTFs. I have been using CCI primers, all sizes, since I began reloading in '69 and found 99.99% of the failures were my fault. The most common failure to fire with new reloaders is improper primer seating. It's obvious when the primer fires on the second strike. Ferget dimensions for "below the surface" seating, just seat the primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket. Run the primer all the way down to the bottom and give the primer seater a hair more pressure just to make sure.

In all the time I've been reloading, when I seat the primers all the way into the pocket, I can't remember more than 1 or at the most 2 dud primers...

243winxb
10-06-2013, 11:50 AM
You aren't seating them all the way. +1 The CCI small pistol run a little large in diameter. This make them harder to seat. Primers may be seated .004" below the case head. Or the firing pin strike is to light. Some primers are harder from lot to lot, brand to brand.

hswaters
10-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Thanks folks, I will try to seat them deeper in the future. I will run the misfires through the gun again to see if they will go bang for me. I will also try not crimping some.

dudel
10-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks folks, I will try to seat them deeper in the future. I will run the misfires through the gun again to see if they will go bang for me. I will also try not crimping some.

Seat them deeper, and continue to crimp. The Lee die puts a taper crimp; not a roll crimp, so your headspace should be just fine. However having too light a boolit tension would be a greater problem as you could end up with deeper seated rounds (and higher resulting pressure)

gwpercle
10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
You didn't specify which method you use to seat the primers. But my primer problems (not fully seated) ended when I stopped priming on my press and started priming with a hand held priming tool ( the old Lee seater) . With the hand tool I could feel them bottom out and I could give the case a 90 degree turn, while still in the tool, and another press to make sure the primer was fully seated and not canted in the pocket. You want the primer all the way in the bottom of the pocket.

Of all the rounds I reload for I find the 9mm luger to be the most tempromental,(pain in the a**) last time I reloaded a batch I had to use two different sets of dies to get them reloaded. 38 special and 45 acp are much easier to reload, at least for me.
Anyway , welcome to the site.
Gary

engineer401
10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I never have problems with CCI, Winchester or Remington primers. They all seat and fire well. I have had problems with Wolf. I don't buy Wolf anymore.

hswaters
10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
You didn't specify which method you use to seat the primers. But my primer problems (not fully seated) ended when I stopped priming on my press and started priming with a hand held priming tool ( the old Lee seater) .
Gary

I am priming them on my Lee Loadmaster press. I do lose about 5 out of a hundred primers due to one reason or another that seems to always come up.

Wayne Smith
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Measure your crimp. There needs to be enough of the shell lip exposed to catch the edge of the chamber.

runfiverun
10-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I contacted CCI about this some years ago. Their primers have a somewhat sharper edge than other brands, and need positive seating to function right. Once I knew that, no more misfires. You aren't seating them all the way. If they aren't seated firmly, the anvil in the primer cannot function correctly.

yessir.

Boyscout
10-07-2013, 02:57 AM
I have shot thousands of CCI primers without issue. I seat my with a Lee Auto prime by hand and make sure they are seated firmly.

marvelshooter
10-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I had a CCI primer pop on me last night for the time since I have been loadin' my own. I use a Lee hand primer and as others have noted I find the CCI primers to take more pressure to seat than other brands. There was no visible damage to the primer and this one had not taken any more force to seat than the rest of the batch.

dondiego
10-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I had a CCI primer pop on me last night for the time since I have been loadin' my own. I use a Lee hand primer and as others have noted I find the CCI primers to take more pressure to seat than other brands. There was no visible damage to the primer and this one had not taken any more force to seat than the rest of the batch.
I have always worried about that happening to me while using primers that were recalcitrant. I treat the case mouth just like the muzzle of a firearm when seating primers in the Lee had tool. Keep it pointed in a safe direction!