PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with Blackhawk safety update

robpete
10-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I sent my three screw back to Ruger for a refinish and the safety update. I fired it for the first time(last month), after getting it back from Ruger and the cylinder locked after about five shots. I looked down and notice the base pin was out a little. I pushed it back in, fired a few more shots and it came out again. I decided to send it back to Ruger, who replaced the base pin and latch assembly, test fired it, then sent it back(one week turn around!).

Back at the range today, I put an entire cylinder through it with no issue. I then let an admiring fellow club member fire it. After a few shots, he called out to me that the cylinder locked. Yep.....the base pin was out again.

At this point, it's not going back to Ruger. I think the best course of action is going to be to get the original parts refinished to match the rest and convert it back. My question is; how difficult is it to convert back?

44man
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
It is NOT the conversion. Cylinder pin problems are common. I have never had it but many Ruger's do. Your gun had the problem from day one.
Did you know if you hold the gun loose and let it "roll" the pin will come out faster then if you hold the gun right? It is RECOIL and pin inertia.
You best bet is a Belt Mountain pin. Just don't fit it so tight in the cylinder you lose all play, best to have about .0005" movement side to side.

06ackley
10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree get a Belt Mountain Pin and you wont have the problem anymore.To answer your question though it is easy to put the original parts back in your gun.Check out the manual and it will show you how.

K-Rod
10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Did Ruger send the Original parts back??? It was my understanding they don't send the parts back anymore. I agree with the other two, the problem is the base pin. Once an OM BH has been Converted, the original base pin is replaced with one that has a spring loaded plunger on the end. This plunger is designed to push the Transfer Bar back so when the pistol is cocked, the Transfer Bar will clear the firing pin. For some reason during recoil, your base pin is popping past the base pin latch. Id just call Ruger & tell them you need a new base pin. If you try using the Original one without converting it all back, the Blackhawk will not function properly.

In my opinion, I'd never have the Conversion done to an OM BH. OM's are more desirable without the Conversion. If it makes you feel better with the transfer bar, sell the OM & by a NM. I pack OM's around all the time & just keep the hammer on an empty chamber.

robpete
10-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I did get the original parts back. I'm not even going to bother calling Ruger, because I'm on my second new base pin and still having issues. I'm probably going to convert back just for the heck of it and go from there.

contender1
10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
You can also check the fit of the base pin locking latch assy. Check those 3 parts too. Also, sometimes a SLIGHT amount of honing the groove on the base pin will help a lot too!
While a Belt Mtn base pin will likely fix it easily,, if you use the locking allen screw, you will scar the barrel a small amount.