PDA

View Full Version : Black lube

Mark Daiute
10-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I just got a Lyman 45 off of Ebay. I thought the barrel was nigh empty so I loaded a stick of White Label BAC into it and started lubing boolits. off course there was still lube in it, I have no Idea how much.

Lets assume the black paste coming through my die is lyman/Ideal bullet lube. how limited is it? I was experimenting with H870 in my Krag and 03 so there's 870 in the powder measure. Should I change powders and throttle back a little till the BAC starts coming out of the die or can this old paste handle the same things that the BAC can handle?

williamwaco
10-05-2013, 10:29 PM
If you found black paste in the Lyman 45, It is probably the Lyman Super Molly Bullet Lube

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461543/lyman-super-moly-bullet-lube

Many people swear AT moly lube many swear BY it.

It is an effective lube but very nasty and hard to clean off anything it gets on.
DO NOT ALLOW IT TO GET ON YOUR CLOTHES.

I personally do not like it. I would probably try to force it out by applying pressure on your BAC lube.

You will need to remove the base punch from the sizing die.

geargnasher
10-05-2013, 11:23 PM
It might just be the OLD Lyman black lube that they discontinued sometime around 1960. I have some of it, also salvaged from an antique #45, and have shot it in a variety of loads. I wish I could get more, or the formula. Another member here who has been shooting competitively since the stuff was available new also thinks a lot of it and mourns its demise.

I believe the black was plain acetylene black, and the lube was probably made of some sort of petrolatum and beeswax mix. But like WW said, it could be black moly, which isn't nearly as good in my estimation but works okay.

Gear

w5pv
10-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I recovered a couple of Winchester 45 colt boolits that still had some black loob on them.I just bought them a couple of weeks ago.So winchester is still using some type of black loob.