PDA

View Full Version : My Gumbo Recipe

Dale in Louisiana
10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Okay, here’s a real Cajun recipe - since one of you asked that I post it here.

First, let me state that I was raised Cajun, although Dad’s got 50% Swiss ancestry. It is not unlikely that my first “solid” food was gumbo, although I don't remember. I cook a very workmanlike gumbo myself. In the notes below, I am referring to the gumbos I enjoyed all my life in Southwest Louisiana. They make a sort of gumbo in the New Orleans area, too, and they can call it what they want, but I have tried some, and I find them as close to REAL gumbo as New Orleans is close to REAL Cajun, i.e., not really.

First, let’s talk about ingredients: Traditionally, gumbo is a simple dish concocted out of ingredients either fresh or those suitable for long-term unrefrigerated storage, because that’s the way Cajun homes (including my great grandmother’s and grandmother’s) used to be. So, fresh seafood, from local bayous and lakes, chicken (they were running around the homestead somewhere), guinea fowl (not uncommon in Louisiana), these meats formed the basis of most gumbos. Add to this some smoky Cajun sausage. You hear a lot of talk about andouille sausage these days. As far as Grandma was concerned, sausage was sausage: pork, salt and pepper and other spices, smoked dark and hard, and it would keep forever. Vegetables consisted of onions, both yellow onions and the green onions that usually grew in the kitchen garden, bell pepper, and various hot peppers, and sometimes parsley or celery. The dry ingredients were flour (for the roux) and rice, usually medium-grain. Spices were simple: salt and pepper. Pepper could be black pepper or various fresh, pickled or dried hot peppers. And lastly, there was file’, the pulverized dried leaves of the sassafras tree. These are what go into a traditional gumbo, as I was familiar with. You can find recipes that call for spices not on this list, and strange ingredients like ketchup. You can use these, and you can call it “gumbo”?. You can call your skateboard a Mercedes, too.

The RECIPE:

First, make a roux. This word “roux” rhymes with “boo”. It has been said that the Cajun recipe for angelfood cake begins with making a roux, but this is not true. A roux is simply flour and oil heated and stirred in a pot over heat until the color changes from flour white to varying shades of brown. I prefer my roux to be dark. Refer to the color of your walnut Garand stock (obligatory gun reference is NOW satisfied) for a color reference.

How much of each? Enough is how much. Lemme guess and say start with ¾ cup of flour and enough oil mixed in so that it fills in the furrow left by the spoon in the bottom of the pot. This is enough roux for about 4 or 5 quarts of gumbo. It is easiest to use a heavy pot for this. I prefer a 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven. Making a roux in a cast-iron pot is very good for the cast iron.

Put the pot on the fire. You do use FIRE, don’t you? Man has cooked over flames since time immemorial. It’s the way things should be done. Put the oil and the flour in the pot, turn the heat to medium or medium-high, and begin stirring. Keep stirring. Don’t stop stirring. Over a period of time, the roux will transform from white to tan to beige to brown. Here are some hints. Just as the roux is done, you should begin to see some tendrils of bluish smoke coming from the pot. Keep stirring. If you let it sit, it will burn. If it smells burnt, toss it out and start over. S**t happens.

When the roux is the right color, break it by dumping in your chopped onions (a yellow onion the size of your fist, more or less, and a handful of chopped green onions, often called scallions by the pretentious. You can also add a chopped up stalk of celery and maybe a little chopped bell pepper. Chopped here means pieces about a quarter inch or so. Doesn’t have to be exact.) into the very hot roux. Keep stirring. The vegetables will cook somewhat and at the same time cool the roux down so it doesn’t keep cooking and burn. Make sure your windows are closed when you do this. The smell is wonderful. Traffic may stop on nearby thoroughfares if it gets out.

When the sizzling stops, add water or chicken stock. (Grandma didn’t use chicken stock. She did use a chicken that was usually old and tough and cooking this bird was an all-day process. These chickens had a lot of flavor and the long cooking needed to tenderize these tough old birds produced its own stock) and your meat.

For chicken and sausage gumbo, you can use a fryer, cut into serving size or smaller pieces, or the equivalent amount of boneless chicken, and about a half-pound of good smoked sausage, cut up. I like ¼ to 3/8 slices. Some folks like bigger chunks. Your call. NOTE: Eckrich Farms or Smokey Hollow is NOT my idea of “good smoked sausage”. Good smoked sausage is deep reddish brown or brown, smells like smoke, and you can see the bits of meat in it, not the homogeneous mass that you find in bad sausage. You can substitute a wild goose or two, or a couple of guineas, in place of the chicken.

For seafood gumbo, after the roux is broke with the vegetables, add water, a pound or two of peeled raw shrimp, a pint or two of raw oysters (add the liquor that they come in, too.) and cleaned crabs, or combinations of the above. Even small crabs, too small to be eaten, can be cleaned and thrown into the gumbo, where they add immeasurably to the flavor. To this day, crabs too small to eat boiled are often called “gumbo crabs” in Cajun country.

Whichever version you make, after the meat is added, add salt and pepper to taste. You have to temper this to the lowest common denominator. Lightly salted and peppered is best. After all, you might be feeding small children, the infirm, and Yankees, and too much pepper would cause damage. You can always add more to your individual bowl later. After the pot is boiling, turn the heat down to just above a simmer. Stir occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. If you used a fat goose or chicken, or fatty sausage, you can skim off excess grease as it rises to the top.

While the gumbo is simmering, prepare a pot of rice. Traditionally, this would be medium-grain rice, prepared on top of the stove, one cup of rice to one and a half cups of water, brought to a boil, then the heat turned down to just above a simmer, until all the liquid is absorbed. Many Cajun homes today use Japanese rice cookers. These do a good job, but the pot on top of the stove is best, because if it is left just a little time past when all the liquid is absorbed, a little of the rice next to the pot will toast, forming a deliciously crunchy brown “gratin”, which many of us love to add to the gumbo.

After the gumbo has simmered, the meat is tender, flavors have time to develop, which is maybe an hour and a half after the roux was finished, serve the gumbo up. Put a scoop of rice in the bowl, dump gumbo over it, making sure you have meats in there. Sprinkle a little file’ on top, add salt, black pepper, and red pepper sauce to taste and enjoy! My family’s traditional sides include potato salad and saltine crackers. Enjoy the beverage of your choice with gumbo. A good, piping hot, spicy bowl of gumbo makes a beer taste wonderful.

By the way, gumbo is even better after being refrigerated overnight.

Further comments:
The file’ gumbo I gave here could be summer dish, too, but in days before air conditioning, standing over a kitchen stove in the summertime, patiently stirring a roux for a big gumbo would definitely be a labor of love.

As a matter of fact, down here a colloquial expression for a cold, blustery, rainy day is “gumbo weather”. That big pot of gumbo simmering on the kitchen stove dumps a lot of heat and humidity into the house, a big plus when the temperatures go down, and a bowl of steaming gumbo will warm your cold body fast!

As for your roux burning, well, try this. First, use a vegetable oil. Traditionally, lard was used, but it will burn at lower temperatures, so making a roux with lard took a looooong time. Second, check your heat. I have used a gas stove, and I use a setting just a little above “Medium”, and it typically takes me over half an hour to make a roux. It has to be stirred constantly. Somebody has to stand there with a spoon or a whisk and keep the flour and oil moving from the beginning to the end. Having your onions, etc. chopped and in a bowl, ready to add, that’s a big help, because the minute you reach walnut color, you can dump them in and KEEP STIRRING,

Incidentally, there are commercially made roux available in local stores, typically in pint jars. ( you can search them in Google) I have tasted some darn good gumbos made with this bottled roux, and they might well be the way to go for somebody who doesn’t have the opportunity to watch one being made from scratch.

Here’s another tip: Add your liquid opposite to your roux. If you made your roux from scratch and it’s hot, add cold liquid. If you use bottled roux, or roux made ahead of time, then add the cold roux to simmering liquid. (Yes, you can make a big batch of roux and use some now and some later)

For beginners, the best hint I can give about making a roux is that less heat is better than more. You’ll stand over the stove stirring a lot longer, but things will not happen as fast, so it’s more forgiving. Also, if you’re unsure about how much roux to make for a dish, make more than you need. It keeps in the refrigerator for a week, easily.

Let me tell you folks, Cajun cooking is NOT rocket science. It couldn’t be! These folks worked for a living on family farms and stuff, and Grandma didn’t have time for endless cutesies with multiple pots and pans and critical cooking techniques. This is stuff you spent a bit of time up front getting started, and then it could simmer on the stove while you went about the rest of the business of taking care of home and family. So if you want a bunch of frou-frou cooking ****, go to New Orleans or someplace like that. We Cajuns didn’t have time for it!

File’! It’s made from green sassafras leaves, dried and pulverized. It GOES with the gumbo I showed you in the recipe above. That’s why this is called a file’ gumbo. It NEVER goes in the cooking gumbo. If you do that, you may end up with something closely akin to gumbo-flavored snot. The file’ will get all ropey when cooked. So just buy a bottle, put it on the table or the serving area, and advise everybody to sprinkle a little on their individual bowls when served. While you’re at it, put a few varied bottles of Louisiana hot sauce for individual application, too…

dale in Louisiana
(LeDoux, LeBoeuf, LeBlanc, Fontenot, etc...)

gbrown
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
All I can ask is who would, "argue or alter" that? Sounds so good, I think we will have it in the next few days--it's supposed to get down into the '50s!! Cold enuff for me!

MaryB
10-05-2013, 10:50 PM
This Yankee buys black pepper by the pound, typically use 2-3 pounds a year for myself :bigsmyl2:

texassako
10-05-2013, 11:19 PM
I made a big pot of chicken and sausage gumbo tonight, cool and rainy day put me in the mood. Sorry, I did not have a fire available so it cooked on my electric stove. Seen a recipe the other day for gumbo that included Worcestershire sauce, yuck.

Dale in Louisiana
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I made a big pot of chicken and sausage gumbo tonight, cool and rainy day put me in the mood. Sorry, I did not have a fire available so it cooked on my electric stove. Seen a recipe the other day for gumbo that included Worcestershire sauce, yuck.

Yeah, Justin Wilson (who was NOT really a Cajun, but played one on TV) put Worcestershire sauce in his gumbo on his cooking show, along with a lot of other stuff that never graced the shelves of Grandma's pantry. Most of the time, that stuff's for show, kind of like those ghetto names with apostrophes in them.

That said, gumbo is like so many home-grown recipes, it's flexible. And if you REALLY want to get confused, look at a Creole (New Orleans) gumbo recipe. I call it vegetable soup, but those people swear it's gumbo. It's RED, for pete's sake!

dale in Louisiana

MaryB
10-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Justin Wilsons pot roast is awesome though! Stuff with garlic and scallion, red pepper sprinkled all over...

Dale in Louisiana
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Justin Wilsons pot roast is awesome though! Stuff with garlic and scallion, red pepper sprinkled all over...

And Cajuns were doing exactly that for a couple of centuries before him.

Pot Roast recipe. (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=517)

Same thing, more discussion.
(http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=2344)
Dale in Louisiana

gbrown
10-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Made a big pot of gumbo today, 3# chicken/1# smoked sausage. Gettin' ready to have a huge bowl. My wife likes potato salad with hers--in lieu of rice--can't handle that. Gumbo/Rice/File= Heavenly! Lunch is a given for the next couple of days--YEA!!

grumman581
10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
It's also possible to make an "oil-less" roux. Just put the flour in the pot and keep whisking it until it turns the color you want. I figure that my gumbo has plenty of fat from the chicken that I boil for the broth, the andouille, and the tasso and doesn't need any extra oil in it.

Dale in Louisiana
10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Made a big pot of gumbo today, 3# chicken/1# smoked sausage. Gettin' ready to have a huge bowl. My wife likes potato salad with hers--in lieu of rice--can't handle that. Gumbo/Rice/File= Heavenly! Lunch is a given for the next couple of days--YEA!!

I didn't want to scare people by throwing too much at 'em all at once. Potato salad goes with gumbo. In my family, some put it on the side, and a few dropped a scoop in the middle of the gumbo, on top of the rice.

Another addition to gumbo is boiled eggs. Again, a choice. You can break eggs into a pot of gently simmering gumbo and let them poach and steep in the gumbo. some people don't like this because it leaves stray strands of egg white floating around. The other option is to boil and peel the eggs and drop them into the gumbo at least half an hour before serving, to give them time to soak up some flavor.

Why? Because Cajun households had chickens and therefore abundant eggs. Adding a few eggs meant you could stretch a little meat just a little bit further.

dale in Louisiana

Dale in Louisiana
10-07-2013, 09:02 PM
It's also possible to make an "oil-less" roux. Just put the flour in the pot and keep whisking it until it turns the color you want. I figure that my gumbo has plenty of fat from the chicken that I boil for the broth, the andouille, and the tasso and doesn't need any extra oil in it.

I've heard of this, as well as versions done in the microwave and in a regular oven. I guess if one HAS to...

I personally like a hand-stirred, oil and flour roux, because one of the most delicious, wonderful smells in the world it the smell that comes forth when one dumps the chopped onion, bell pepper and celery into a nuclear-hot pot of roux. I can't describe it adequately. It's the smell of the warm kitchens of generations of Cajun cooks, male and female alike. It's the story of home and hearth and family.

dale in Louisiana

grumman581
10-08-2013, 12:27 AM
I've heard of this, as well as versions done in the microwave and in a regular oven. I guess if one HAS to...

Haven't tried the microwave nor the regular oven. I use a Magnalite roaster to make my dry roux since it has a large bottom and is of a convenient size. I have tried making an oil roux before, but it seems that things happen a bit too fast for me and it ended up being burnt. Besides, it ended up tasting too greasy in opinion. Same with the commercial oil based rouxs. With the dry roux, it's easy for me to add some more later if I don't think it is thick enough or rich enough tasting. My gumbo is not particularly made with a recipe, just kind of an ad hoc way as I've seen relatives make it in Opelousas many years ago. I seriously doubt that they were using a dry roux though.

Mine basically consists of:

3 onions (minced)
1 bunch of celery (minced)
3 bell peppers (minced)
couple of bay leaves
cayenne pepper / Tony Chachere's seasoned salt
1 whole chicken (boiled / pressure cooked so as to get a lot of broth, and then de-boned and de-skinned)
1 lb andouille sausage
1 lb tasso
1 lb shrimp and/or crawfish (peeled)
dry roux to taste
file at table

Gumbo also freezes very well. I recently found some hidden in the back of my deep freeze that was probably over a year old and it still tasted good.

gwpercle
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
You can tell an authentic "old school" cajun cook by thier recipes. First off they don't measure nothing, they cook by look feel and taste. When trying to learn how to cook some of my mom's recipes, I discovered she had nothing written down, no amounts or measures...hard for a new cook to figure out at first. So I started paying careful attention to what she and my maw-maw cooked, what they did and how they did it...I even figured out some measurements, started writing down these things. Now I don't need the notes but it helps when someone wants a recipe.

If you want good gumbo just follow Dale's instructions and if you need some amounts ,to get started , Grumman581's recipe has them, So just jump in thier and cook cajun...only warning is don't burn the roux.

Gary

Moonie
10-08-2013, 01:10 PM
I've got everything I need to make this sometime this week with the exception of the file'. Will be doing some searching for this ingredient.

grumman581
10-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I've got everything I need to make this sometime this week with the exception of the file'. Will be doing some searching for this ingredient.

I have found filé fairly easily at various grocery stores, even at Wal-Mart. It's in the spice section. Tasso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasso_%28meat_product%29), on the other hand, is a bit more difficult to find outside of Louisiana. I used to be able to get it at the local HEB grocery store, but they don't carry it in stock anymore, but they are willing to bring it in on a special request from their distribution center. I usually get about 5 1-lb packages when they do that and I put it in my deep freeze.

Since fresh shrimp is available throughout the year, I am more inclined to use it unless I just happen to be making gumbo during crawfish season. I try to have at least one crawfish boil during the year and it consists of just one bag shared amongst 3 people. Crawfish doesn't really fill you up, you get get tired of shelling them and your fingers get wrinkled up. :) Any crawfish leftover afterwards end up being shelled and then frozen or used immediately for gumbo.

Dale in Louisiana
10-08-2013, 02:27 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Zatarains-Pure-Ground-Gumbo-File/dp/B001Q91922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381256673&sr=8-1&keywords=gumbo+file

or

http://www.texjoy.com/store/p/45-Gumbo-File-2-oz.aspx

dale in Louisiana

gwpercle
10-08-2013, 05:48 PM

I personally like a hand-stirred, oil and flour roux, because one of the most delicious, wonderful smells in the world it the smell that comes forth when one dumps the chopped onion, bell pepper and celery into a nuclear-hot pot of roux. I can't describe it adequately. It's the smell of the warm kitchens of generations of Cajun cooks, male and female alike. It's the story of home and hearth and family.

dale in Louisiana
That is what real Cajun Love smells like...for true! That is a wonderful aroma.

ubetcha
10-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the recipe Dale. May I ask,do you have a recipe for Jambilia( I don't think I spelled that right). Sometimes us Yankee's need some good southern food too.

gwpercle
10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
If you scroll down, just below the post for a boiled peanuts recipe request , you will find recipes for jambalaya. I posted one for cajun ( chicken and sausage) and another for creole (shrimp, ham and sausage with tomatoes) jambalaya.
Gary

ubetcha
10-09-2013, 09:51 PM
If you scroll down, just below the post for a boiled peanuts recipe request , you will find recipes for jambalaya. I posted one for cajun ( chicken and sausage) and another for creole (shrimp, ham and sausage with tomatoes) jambalaya.
Gary

Thanks Gary. My fault for not looking farther down the posts.:oops:

DougGuy
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Gumbo secrets 101...

I make seafood gumbo from scratch as well. I don't measure anything. It starts with a roux, made in well seasoned cast iron skillet and I often use olive oil. At first, roux was used to thicken the gumbo, but the truth is the darker the roux is, the less thickening it will do. I thicken my gumbo with shellfish. However, there is a flavor change that comes about when you let it cook to dark chocolate in color. That's what I go for. Gumbo filé is ground sassafras that was also used to thicken, this was shown to the first settlers by the local Indians who used it to thicken soups and broth. Filé also imparts it's own flavor, so it's not to be left out. Okra is another flavor that mixes and blends well with roux and filé to make the darker flavors more complex and detectable amid all the seafood and other spices.

There are two things I do not allow in my gumbo, that is tomatoes, and any other meat but seafood. To use chicken and sausage in gumbo is fine, just not in seafood gumbo..

One more important factor to consider, is making fish stock or crab stock from scratch, you can freeze it and use it anytime but please, do NOT use water in gumbo, if you are going to invest $100 in shellfish and other ingredients to make the master of all Cajun cuisine, make some fish stock and reserve it for gumbo since the store bought fish stock flat out sucks..

A trick to cooking the shellfish, since most of the shellfish will not need long cooking times, you can cook them ahead if you like or cook them separately while the gumbo is simmering. My favorite way to do this is buy jumbo head-on shrimp and boil them for just a little bit with some liquid Zatarain's in a stock pot then remove them. Return this water to boil and use a steamer basket. In that, I steam the clams so the clam juices drain into the shrimp boil, then I do the mussels. Any other seafood that needs steamed, do it at this time over the shrimp water. Once the shrimp have cooled, snap the heads and squeeze the juices from the heads back into the water. If you have fresh crawfish, do the same with those. Now you have this wonderfully pungent, spicy, and flavorful broth from cooking the shellfish, add this to your gumbo.

One more shellfish trick I have used to great effect, is in addition to lump crab, I buy two cans of the Bumble Bee brand lump crabmeat. Just before serving, when the gumbo is all complete and ready to be ladled into bowls, put this canned crab right in the top of the pot and barely work it in just a little, leaving much of it sitting on top. This is the coup de grace of gumbo smells, this canned crab has a smell to it that really brings out something awesome and it carries to the olfactory senses above the other gumbo smells. I learned this trick once when I was waaaaaay up north in Minnesota once, ruining some Yankees with a big pot of Cajun gumbo, and couldn't find crab anywhere. When that stuff hit the table, there was no talking, and no leftovers!!

Good thread Dale!

Garyshome
10-30-2013, 05:48 PM
I like Gombo!

w5pv
10-30-2013, 05:53 PM
If you have a Tex-Joy rack in the store they usually have file there.