PDA

View Full Version : Cocobolo for rifle stock?

Typecaster
11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Anybody used cocobolo for a complete rifle stock? It's so dense it won't float—twice the specific gravity of black walnut—so I know a full stock would be heavy. I know it's usually used as accent wood (forearm tip, etc.) because it's Expensive (with the capital E), but on-line research shows it's supposed to be extremely stable.

There's also a potential issue that lot's of people are allergic to the dust, but I have dust collection in my shop and can wear a respirator. What the respirator doesn't stop maybe my beard will...

I've got a line on a 2-in. plank that should work out to restock a Ruger #1 with the fancy grain in the buttstock and straight grain for the forearm.

Anybody heard of using cocobolo like this?

mooman76
11-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't know but it would make a right purty stock.

floodgate
11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Typecaster:

West & Smithson have used Cocobolo for their deluxe "Target" pistol handles for decades; looks and feels nice. Never seen it on rifles though. Oughta be fine for someone needing a heavyweight "scout" rifle. Give it a try and let us know how it works out.

floodgate

Typecaster
11-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks, floodgate, I needed the reinforcement. It's only money, right? I think I'll take an oversize pattern to make sure I'm not working a knot or check into the action area (hate it when that happens). If that looks good, I'll probably go for it. The raw plank is over 6 ft. long, and I can buy as much of it as I want, with a 20% discount until this weekend. I may buy some extra—I'm sawpping barrels on a #1 to .375 H&H; if the recoil is too much, I can always swap the walnut buttstock and make a new forearm of cocobolo to add weight to the rifle.

I've seen lots of references to cocobolo for pistol grips (e.g., Kimber), probably because it's so expensive. And, I must confess, I have a couple of slabs planned for a potential multitude of pistol grips, but a 2-in. slab is a little unusual in So. Cal. Even before any smoothing, it "feels good." And mooman76, it does look "right purty" to someone who's always gone for walnut or myrtle (bad choice).

fatnhappy
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
If you go through with this project typecaster could I buy a couple small pieces of the waste from you? I'd like a few small pieces for making knife handles?

Thanks,
Dean

pumpguy
11-02-2007, 12:12 AM
It would be beautiful. I think I would limit mine to a varmint gun or something I didn't have to carry very far. That stuff is HEAVY!

Newtire
11-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Typecaster,
That ought to be a real pretty stock. That stuff costs a fortune!

I apologize for changing the subject but while on the subject of pretty wood for stocks, does anyone here have any experience using "monkeypod-wood" for gunstocks? I have a nice slab in the garage from a yardsale. Heavy as a rock but very figurative.

Rick Hodges
11-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Typecaster,

You mentioned that Myrtle was a "Bad Choice" for stocks. Why? I have always thought they were particularly striking in appearance and just bought a chunk of figured Myrtle for a set of handgun grips. Any words of warning or advice for me?

Cocobolo is sure pretty, but my understanding is that is will not take any type of finish. I don't know if the natural oils are enough to keep it stable in all weather in a riflestock?

Thanks----Rick Hodges

Typecaster
11-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Rick—

My single experience with myrtle is on a .222 Sako heavy barrel. We bought the blank in the mid-60s, and my dad (a former gunsmith) used it on the Sako about 1970 or so. Nice figure in the butt; straight grain in the forearm. Over the years he had the rifle he had to open the barrel channel several times...let's just say it's "VERY free-floating." When he turned it over to me about 1980, I opened the channel so both sides are even—at least it looks intentional now. Instead of being able to slip a dollar bill between the stock and barrel, I think you could probably use a quarter. Very pretty wood, and now seems stable. I haven't shot that one in years...got sidetracked by another Sako in .25-222, then single shots.

I wouldn't expect any problems in using myrtle for handgun grips. It was pretty easy to inlet, as I recall, except there were several small included (?) knots...not visible from the outside.

I've read that cocobolo will take an oil finish, so that's the plan. And yes, Dean, I'd be happy to save offcuts.

Lee
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Typecaster...buy the whole thing. You will never look back one day and wonder why you didn't. Like certain other things, it will never lose its value. I'd bet that several blanks for pistol/revolver handles would practically recoup your expenses, still have pieces left over, AND your stock..........Lee:wink:

kywoodwrkr
11-02-2007, 06:47 PM
BUY BUY BUY!:drinks:
One of my customers was Wood Mosaic in Louisville many years ago.
I mentioned to the DP manager I'd like to buy some Brazilian Rosewood.
At the time it was HIGH through most venues.
I got a call one day and he said they had seven 4/4 planks at the New Orleans wharf.
If I wanted them I could have them for about $8 a bd ft delivered in Louisville.
Check the current price!
It did better than my 401K for sure.
Check the shatter factor of Cocobola before putting in on a heavy recoil rifle.
Don't know if it's a factor or not but check it out.
Some real pretty woods don't respond well to shock treatment.:neutral:
DaveP kywoodwrkr

KCSO
11-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Do you have carbide wood chisels? I'll bet before you finish inletting a rifle stock into that stuff you will wish you did! I had to quit working with it as just a pinch of the dust in my nose and I was hacking and choking for a week.

leftiye
11-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I've got a dust collection in my shop too! 20 years worth (just kidding).

Typecaster
11-05-2007, 11:26 AM
leftiye—

I like your thinking, and I tried that line of reasoning with my wife. She contends that to be a "collection" there has to be some organization—all variants, a common theme, etc. Otherwise (like my guns, books from the 1700s and 1800s, and tools) it's an "accumulation." I countered that someone could forensically go through the layers of dust in my shop and track every project I've worked on over the years...just like the layers in the Grand Canyon. She agrees in principle, but people will pay to see the Grand Canyon...