PDA

View Full Version : A hero died today. God Bless you Nicholas Oresko.

fatnhappy
10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Oldest living Medal of Honor recipient dies at age 96 in New Jersey

The oldest living Medal of Honor recipient -- who singlehandedly took out two machine gun bunkers during the Battle of the Bulge despite being wounded -- died Friday night at a New Jersey hospital.

Nicholas Oresko, a former U.S. Army master sergeant who served during World War II, died at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center in New Jersey, hospital officials said Saturday. He was 96.

The hospital expressed condolences in a statement that lauded Oresko as “a true American hero.”

A November 2011 story on the U.S. Department of Defense website said Oresko was the oldest living Medal of Honor recipient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oresko, a native of Bayonne, N.J., received the medal from President Harry Truman on Oct. 30, 1945, according to the U.S. Army Center of Military History’s website. The Medal of Honor is the highest award bestowed upon members of the Armed Services of the United States.

Oresko was a platoon leader when his unit was hit by deadly machine gun fire near Tettington, Germany, on Jan. 23, 1945. According to the Medal of Honor official citation, “braving bullets which struck about him” Oresko moved close enough to throw a grenade into a German bunker. He then rushed the bunker to kill the remaining enemy soldiers.

Machine gun fire from another position then seriously wounded him in the hip, but he attacked the bunker alone with a grenade, then finished off the German troops manning it with his rifle, according to the citation.

Despite his wound and blood loss, Oresko refused to be evacuated “until assured the mission was successfully accomplished.”

The Army veteran had been hospitalized after injuring himself in a fall at an assisted living center in Cresskill, according to The Associated Press. He died of complications from surgery for a broken right femur.

The Bergen Record reported that several veterans and young members of the military stayed with Oresko in his final days after a friend wrote about his health problems on a Facebook page and noted that Oresko had no immediate family still living.

“It was humbling to see the outpouring of appreciation and gratitude for his service and genuine affection for him by so many visitors in his last days,” said Warren Geller, president and CEO of Englewood Hospital and Medical Center, in the hospital’s statement.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

PS Paul
10-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Fewer and fewer of these heroes with each month that passes.......

I am thankful for the freedoms we get to enjoy today due to what this man fought for and what many others died for during that war........

Thankfully he had others with him before he passed into our Lord's loving arms.

bikerbeans
10-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Rip.

Bb

TXGunNut
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
RIP indeed. Not many men cut from that cloth, he saved many lives that day through his selfless acts. Thanks for sharing his story wth us, fatnhappy.

DCP
10-05-2013, 08:49 PM
We will remember him.

Many gave all
All gave some

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

For our tomorrow
They gave their today

Ithaca Gunner
10-05-2013, 08:52 PM
(Salutes) Most all of us know, or have known the men who won WWII for us, and they are going too fast now a days. I didn't personally know Nicholas Oresko, but I've known many other Hero's from that war. I remember them as young men, the war behind them, working for their families and maybe on a good day they would tell a story about how they won the war.

The last of them that I personally knew and was honored to call friend left this world a little over three years ago. It was a sad day for me when my neighbor and friend, Lynn Kitzmiller passed away. Lynn served in the Army in Europe and was a mobile A-A gunner in WWII. He shot down one German plane and provided support for ground troops on numerous occasions during the war.

Rest in Peace Gentlemen.

27judge
10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Their memories truly leave us with Something Of Value

jmort
10-05-2013, 09:55 PM
A man of colossal bravery. A true hero indeed.

Love Life
10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
A true hero among men.

God speed and rest in peace.

xs11jack
10-05-2013, 10:37 PM
God's blessings, I, uh, have some congestion and there seems to be a bit of dust in here.
Ole Jack

woody13
10-05-2013, 10:37 PM
RIP.... Man to just stand in front of this man and shake his hand would of been an honor....

powderburnerr
10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I stand at attention and salute this hero and pray his trip to the other side is easy and pleasant , may god rest his precious soul ,and may others take notice of his actions and understand just what he did

WILCO
10-05-2013, 10:59 PM
RIP indeed. Not many men cut from that cloth, he saved many lives that day through his selfless acts. Thanks for sharing his story wth us, fatnhappy.

Ditto for me.

wv109323
10-05-2013, 11:03 PM
RIP, There are so many heroes that go unnoticed. The heroes of WW2 had very very tough conditions to overcome. Another thing that goes unnoticed is the number of soldiers and civilians that were killed during the war. Germany suffered 23 million killed in the war, Russia had 12 million. America fighting in Asia ,Europe and Africa suffered 500 to 575 thousands deaths. I think these numbers show how good and brave our military was in those tough conditions.

Bzcraig
10-05-2013, 11:31 PM
A hero in every sense of the word!