PDA

View Full Version : Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease(green)

grampa243
10-05-2013, 04:28 PM
has any one used this in place of say "red-n-tacky" or any other lithium complex grease?

i was thinking about making a batch of Ben's but with this grease.

all input welcome,
grampa243

geargnasher
10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Used it, not good.

Gear

grampa243
10-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Used it, not good.

Gear

too heavy duty?? :)

geargnasher
10-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Polyurea-based. It turns to duck chit in the barrel and accumulates a hard fouling at high pressure, very difficult to clean out. Might be fine with pistol loads mixed with beeswax. Stick with lithium grease for your lube.

Gear

grampa243
10-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Polyurea-based. It turns to duck chit in the barrel and accumulates a hard fouling at high pressure, very difficult to clean out. Might be fine with pistol loads mixed with beeswax. Stick with lithium grease for your lube.

Gear

thanks gear. that's what i needed to know.. i'll stick with the red grease :)

357maximum
10-06-2013, 12:02 PM
....as Gear has kinda sorta eluded to...the more complex and "heavy duty" the grease the more "stuff" you need to add to a lube to counteract the "complex" ingredients that make that HEAVY DUTY grease more friendly in CONSTRUCTION MACHINERY. The simpler brown lithium based greases do not require this tweak, they are cheaper and for our uses they outperform the more complex greases without having to add to the recipe things that are not needed. They also blend into our base waxes at lower heat and with less smell's that have the potential to wreck domestic harmony. You can make more complex greases work but in order to adhere to the K.I.S.S principle in boolit lubes the good ol cheap brown/caramel colored lithium simplex greases cannot be beat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The previous message was merely one man's opinion....so do not throw stones, it is just the way I feel on the matter.

btroj
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
It is stuff like this that leads me into parts stores reading labels, like I am looking at!

I want to know the thickener and base oil before I buy. Dang it Gear, you and run have me talking like a dang wrench monkey. I will never be the same.

Wingnutt
10-07-2013, 08:51 PM
grandpa243

When I was making lithi-bee lubes trying different greases, I had good luck with 'Green' grease sold at Autozone. Maybe it might work using Ben's formula. It can be made to test by a small batch version by a reduced ratio of the whole grease tube formula....

grampa243
10-08-2013, 11:50 AM
grandpa243

When I was making lithi-bee lubes trying different greases, I had good luck with 'Green' grease sold at Autozone. Maybe it might work using Ben's formula. It can be made to test by a small batch version by a reduced ratio of the whole grease tube formula....

There are meny 'green' greases some are lithium based.. i'm sure they would be ok.. right now i'm planning on making a known working lube... my first batch of Ben's is all most gone.. i've been useing it in every thing. :) [223; 243; 45-70; .50 hawken; 45acp;]