PDA

View Full Version : Bread Machines

OeldeWolf
10-05-2013, 02:30 PM
I picked up a bread machine, new and unused, at a moving sale for $5. Then I heard from someone who used one, that it makes a hole in the center of the loaf. Is this true, and is there some way around it?

fryboy
10-05-2013, 02:40 PM
well not a hole per say more like a belly button on the bottom ( in the middle ) it's the paddle that does it and the paddle is what stirs/kneads the dough so it is kind of important ,one can use them just to make the dough and then let raise and cook normally if one wishes too ( in a pan in the oven )
i couldnt live without mine !! lately i've been making a potato bread that is simply scrumptious !! ( in addition to my daily lite rye bread ) the machines are pretty handy and can make alot more than just bread/dough , i always look for spares when i go to the goodwill when i'm scrounging for pewter , my current in use one i bought brand new complete with instructions for the paltry sum of $1.98 plus tax

farmerjim
10-05-2013, 03:02 PM
The wife just uses ours on the dough cycle. The dough , depending on ingredients, is then used to make one of many types of bread or pizza. Ground venison pizza is the best although homemade wild pig sausage is not far behind.
I haven’t eaten store bread or pizza in years.

smokeywolf
10-05-2013, 03:24 PM
I think the one Mrs. smokeywolf uses is a cuisinart. Like farmerjim's wife she just uses it to mix and kneed the dough, then transfers it to a bread pan and bakes it.

smokeywolf

Gee_Wizz01
10-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Like fryboy said, they just leave a small hole in the bottom of the loaf. I have a Hitachi bread machine given to me by a friend who got a newer model. I love it. I bought a book with hundreds of different bread recipes and have tried quite a few of them. I buy flour in 25lb sacks to save money, and buy yeast by the pound. The smell of bread baking will drive you crazy! My favorite breads are rye, white sourdough, rye sourdough, oat bread, potato bread and many more.

G

OeldeWolf
10-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Thank you. thay was rather the info I needed.

pressonregardless
10-05-2013, 07:20 PM
lately i've been making a potato bread that is simply scrumptious !!

Fryboy, potato bread is a new one on me, would ya' mind sharing the recipe?

JWFilips
10-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Sad New today Boys: My wife put our bread machine into the basement!!! The "Z" type...said we haven't been using it much & it is taking up space!!!! AGGGHHHH!

dragon813gt
10-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't get using a bread machine. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and can have the dough ready in ten minutes. Let it rise for thirty minutes, punch down and bake for around thirty minutes. That's for a simple white bread recipe. All the bread machines take a lot longer than this and the loaves are smaller. Maybe it's because I used to work in a bakery but I don't understand why people use them. Is there something I'm missing? And I'm being serious and not trying to upset anyone.

retread
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Any idiot(like me) can make good bread with one. Just dump in the ingredients, start her up and walk away. Takes about 5 minutes. No mess!

fryboy
10-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Fryboy, potato bread is a new one on me, would ya' mind sharing the recipe?

ummm i cheat !!! i've been using some of the newer flavored instant potato flakes in place of regular flakes ( which btw still works ) the basic recipe below i switch out the plain potato flakes with idahoan brand bacon & cheddar chipolte flavored ones , the recipe calls for 1/2 a cup but i use half a package ( usually a lil less than 1/2 cup) this is really great with various deli slices and lunchmeats !!!! umm not so good with peanut butter and honey/jam/etc [doh] i've made it with various flavors ,some can compliment a meal ( such as roasted garlic goes great with sketti etc etc )
most times one can ummm play with a recipe if they've a mind , the main thing when using new or modified recipes is to know what a dough ball should look like , a lil more flour or water as needed type thing, having said that my current fav potato bread tends to do best when a little bit thicker than what one usually associates with a bread machine ball ,

basic recipe adapted slightly from a oster instruction manual booklet ( currently making it in a older model regal )

1 1/2# loaf ( feels more like 2 1/2- 3 :P )

1 1/4 cups of water ( room temp-ish ) i usually have to add a tsp or two
2 Tbls margarine or butter
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup potato mix dry ( 1/2 if plain flakes ,or 1/2 of a 4 oz.package )
1 Tbls sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt ( a lil less a lil more to taste [shrugz] )
1 3/4 tsp fast acting yeast ( i prefer red star and use one of the single use packets)

i bake on plain white cycle ( not rapid ) and select dark crust ( still seems a lil lite but ...it's a moist heavy bread with great texture ) it's basically a 3 hour-ish cycle

another tip ? for thicker chewier crust add more of what ever oil is called for in these various recipes

i cant recall if i posted my fav rye breads here or not ( lite rye and fry's raisin rye ) but to save typing i did post them here ( if the link thingy works ) http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum97/9605.html

Artful
10-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I don't get using a bread machine. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and can have the dough ready in ten minutes. Let it rise for thirty minutes, punch down and bake for around thirty minutes. That's for a simple white bread recipe. All the bread machines take a lot longer than this and the loaves are smaller. Maybe it's because I used to work in a bakery but I don't understand why people use them. Is there something I'm missing? And I'm being serious and not trying to upset anyone.

Any idiot(like me) can make good bread with one. Just dump in the ingredients, start her up and walk away. Takes about 5 minutes. No mess!

Bing - winner winner chicken dinner - wait that not for bread - but yeah - no fuss no muss and never/seldom a dud loaf

USAFrox
10-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Make sure you have it blocked in well. We tried our new bread machine for the first time, and walked away. While we were away, the vibrations it makes had it walking around, and it literally walked off the counter, where it smashed on the floor. Kinda sucked.

geargnasher
10-06-2013, 01:07 AM
A half-loaf run of hard-crust sourdough per the recipe mod Fryboy mentioned, bust out the top, and fill with beef stew is an ohmygosh good, hearty meal after a hard day working outside in the cold. A bread machine is the starving college student's and batchelor's savior.

Like making wine, once you get familiar with the machine you can make bread with just about anything. Plain white bread with raisins and sliced carrots cooked in was a favorite of mine.

Gear

gbrown
10-06-2013, 10:13 AM
My sister bought my parents a bread machine about 25 years ago, when they were the rage and brand new. Mom used it a few times and then gave it to us. I brought it home and put it to use. Dump everything in at night and set the timer. Get up in the morning with the smell of fresh baked bread and pull out a loaf, slice and toast--heavenly. About 10 pounds heavier, later, started to rethink the situation. We tapered off and then used it occasionally. I used it in my classroom for demonstration/teaching purposes, as well as a "motivator." Ever see what a 12-14 yoa boy or girl will do for a piece of hot, fresh bread? Especially just about 11:00AM in the morning?:bigsmyl2: Anyway, it now resides in my garage to be pulled out to make various doughs that can be shaped and frozen for later use. One is the cloverleaf rolls--roll the dough in your hand into a 1 inch ball. Put 36 into a plastic freezer bag, freeze, and pull out when needed. Drop 3 pieces into a greased/sprayed muffin pan cup and allow to rise. Slide in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

pressonregardless
10-06-2013, 02:35 PM
basic recipe adapted slightly from a oster instruction manual booklet ( currently making it in a older model regal )

1 1/2# loaf ( feels more like 2 1/2- 3 :P )

1 1/4 cups of water ( room temp-ish ) i usually have to add a tsp or two
2 Tbls margarine or butter
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup potato mix dry ( 1/2 if plain flakes ,or 1/2 of a 4 oz.package )
1 Tbls sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt ( a lil less a lil more to taste [shrugz] )
1 3/4 tsp fast acting yeast ( i prefer red star and use one of the single use packets)

i bake on plain white cycle ( not rapid ) and select dark crust ( still seems a lil lite but ...it's a moist heavy bread with great texture ) it's basically a 3 hour-ish cycle

Thank you Fryboy, I'll have to give this a try.

fryboy
10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
ummm you'll be saying thanks again when you try a slice !! lolz , but you're welcome ! the applewood bacon flavor isnt bad either but goes better with chicken and turkey than red meats in my humble opinion

btw ? this product is mother approved , it wowed her on her last visit ;)

jonas302
10-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I love my bread machine it takes me about 2 mins to dump the ingredients in hit the switch and go to work yes have it blocked in they get a little wild sometimes(: come home at noon slice bread pour canned venison over eat like a king doesn't get better than that