PDA

View Full Version : PID Thermocouple mount for Lee 4-20 pot

sleeper1428
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I know this subject has been discussed many times in the past but I thought I'd show you how I handled the problem of mounting the TC (thermocouple) for my PID controller on my Lee 4-20 pot. I'm fairly sure that this isn't an original idea but rather an alternate implementation of an already common mounting method but perhaps some will find it interesting. I got my PID controller from Frozone quite some time ago but due to health problems, I wasn't able to do any casting for over a year after receiving the controller. That gave me some time to draw up some plans regarding how I was going to mount the TC to the pot so when I finally began to regain my health, I tooled up the parts using my lathe and mill/drill unit and then put it all together. And for me, it works perfectly! As you can see from the photo, the probe is adjustable vertically and horizontally (within limits) and can be easily be removed from the pot simply by loosening the thumbscrew, lifting and then removing the horizontal adjustment bar and the attached TC probe. Removal of the 1/4 X 28 socket head screw from the base allows removal of the upright bar and full access to the pot for cleaning, repair, etc.

sleeper142883500

No_1
10-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Very nice!

jmsj
10-05-2013, 11:58 PM
I like it!
I am gathering parts for PID. I hope you don't mind if I copy your setup
Thanks, jmsj

Southern Son
10-06-2013, 04:57 AM
That is pretty sweet. Mine is just a old wire coat hanger that I twisted and bent into a shape that holds the tip of the probe about a half inch above the spout intake.