PDA

View Full Version : Having a mold hollow pointed or buying one already hollow pointed?

gds
10-05-2013, 08:40 AM
I want to get a hollow point mold for my .300 blk. I have the NOE mold and the Lee. I tried to HP the lee, but completely messed it up, so I realized I need to get it done by someone with the right tools and skills.

Would it be better to buy the Lee mold and send it to someone to hollow point, if So who?

or

Wait for the NOE mold to come back as a group buy and order one of them.

Thanks.

Garyshome
10-05-2013, 09:07 AM
There is a thread about hp'ing molds here, perhaps you could get someone there to do the deed for you.

dragon813gt
10-05-2013, 09:25 AM
This was the first result for a google search of "hollow point molds"
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

His work is highly regarded when it comes to converting molds. Search engines are your friend :)

Beagle333
10-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Get the Lee and send it to Buckshot(Super Moderator here) or Erik (hollowpointmold.com), you can always get the NOE when the group buy matures and sell off the Lee HP. They are always in high demand.

But, also Erik does have some HP's already in stock... you might find a Lee there, ready to ship! :D

gds
10-05-2013, 09:35 AM
There is a thread about hp'ing molds here, perhaps you could get someone there to do the deed for you.

Yeah that is where I got the idea. but some where in the application of the process it did not work out so good for me. I took a mediocre bullet mold that gave me just under 3 inches at 50 yds, to a useless mold that gives me buckshot pattern at 25 yds.

gds
10-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Erik is definitely on my short list if I go that route,

Boolseye
10-05-2013, 09:39 AM
You can also get the Forster tool and HP the bullets as needed.

gds
10-05-2013, 10:07 AM
You can also get the Forster tool and HP the bullets as needed.

I thought about that, but doesn't it require the forster trimmer?

jmsj
10-05-2013, 12:06 PM
gds,
I have been thinking about getting one of Erik's inset hollow point Lee molds but have pulled the trigger yet because of finances. I have used Buckshot's hollow point service on two molds (358311 and 429421) and they have been absolutely incredible!!
Good Luck, jmsj

HeavyMetal
10-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Buckshot doesn't do the old style Lee's, he might do the new ones?

Eric at Hollowpoint mold absolutely does the new style Lee 2 bangers ( he'll do both cavities) and has always done the Lee 6 bangers.

I'll suggest you look at the Lee mold for the 7.62x39 mine drops at .311, a little small for the AK but works great for my Savge 340 and a TC super 14 in 30-30!

My thought is it's easier to size down than to make it bigger,LOL!

Boolseye
10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
I thought about that, but doesn't it require the forster trimmer?

No. if you have a drill press, you're golden. Before I had a drill press I used a hand drill and that worked OK too.
If you get one, the larger (handgun) size is more versatile. It can be used for rifle .30 cal and up.

gds
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
No. if you have a drill press, you're golden. Before I had a drill press I used a hand drill and that worked OK too.
If you get one, the larger (handgun) size is more versatile. It can be used for rifle .30 cal and up.

Well now. I may have to invest in one if those then.

22 rifle
10-06-2013, 12:43 PM
personally i would get the mould i wanted and send it to hollow point mould service.he can make whatever you want for different velocity ranges and alloys.if you buy a hp mould you are pretty much limited to that one design.

wch
10-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Get the Lee and send it to Buckshot(Super Moderator here) or Erik (hollowpointmold.com), you can always get the NOE when the group buy matures and sell off the Lee HP. They are always in high demand.

But, also Erik does have some HP's already in stock... you might find a Lee there, ready to ship! :D

Buckshot has done mold work for me and he's accurate and fast.

fredj338
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Erik @ HPMS does a graet job. The question of buy or have it done, all depends on the bullet you want. Having it done lets gives you a lot more optoins for very little add'l. money.

Boolseye
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Well now. I may have to invest in one if those then.
Keep the drill bit wet w/ WD-40 and it sheds the lead easier. I mount my Lee trimmer chuck and shellholder in the press's vice and hold the cartridge there. You HP them after you've reloaded them. Go slow with it.

Leadmelter
10-13-2013, 07:03 PM
I had two molds done by Eric. Very nice work and TAT of about three weeks depending on his workloads.
Question? He promptly answers.
NOE HP molds, a little break in time if you don't follow instructions. Otherwise another great alternative fast delivery when in stock.
Miha, I waited a year and half for a group buy and got a beautiful mold. But 1.5 yrs? No more group buys for this hombre.
Leadmelter
MI

williamwaco
10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't know if he still does this but he used to stock already converted Lee Molds

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

gds
10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
thanks for the advice. I went ahead and got one as a stop gap, until I make up my mind about a hollowpointed mold. It does seem to work very well and it so happens that the drill bit fits perfectly in my old Pacific case trimmer.

gds
10-13-2013, 08:52 PM
I had two molds done by Eric. Very nice work and TAT of about three weeks depending on his workloads.
Question? He promptly answers.
NOE HP molds, a little break in time if you don't follow instructions. Otherwise another great alternative fast delivery when in stock.
Miha, I waited a year and half for a group buy and got a beautiful mold. But 1.5 yrs? No more group buys for this hombre.
Leadmelter
MI

Yeah, I emailed NOE about when they might have one in stock or when they might have another group buy, but have not yet received a response. I only had to wait about 6 months to get the 5 cavity that I ordered. I did get and awesome product, but yeah I would like to get it a little faster.

cbrick
10-13-2013, 09:33 PM
I'll suggest you look at the Lee mold for the 7.62x39 mine drops at .311, a little small for the AK but works great for my Savge 340 and a TC super 14 in 30-30!

My thought is it's easier to size down than to make it bigger,LOL!

Well, not really!

In addition to making hollow point molds Erik also can open the driving bands to cast to your specs. I've had him do a few molds for me, my 30-30 Winnie has a beautiful bore except for that pesky .310" groove diameter. Most 30 cal molds will barely make this if at all so I had Erik enlarge the driving bands on a couple of 30 cal molds for me, one casts .311" & one .312". Both are perfection and both were exactly what I asked for.

Rick

Boolseye
10-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I went ahead and got one as a stop gap, until I make up my mind about a hollowpointed mold.
That's how I treat mine. I have nothing agains HP molds–I have a NOE in 9mm. The Forster is good if I want to HP a few rounds of anything else.

2wheelDuke
10-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Which mold did you get hollowpointed?

sparkz
10-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Theirs a wight up about doing a HP Convert on here someplace and I recall using a brass bushing and cut down pins in it, Or Eric I know will HP it and understand he does a close to OEM Job, point of fact he may had done the wright up i spoke of too,

Patrick