PDA

View Full Version : An experiment in progress

Jim
11-01-2007, 01:53 PM
As we speak(or as I write), I have a coupla hunnerd rds. of 9MM brass in the tumbler. As goofy as it might sound, I'm using wild bird seed as media. :roll:So far, so good. They've been in there a coupla hours now and cleaning up right nicely. If this works out, I might have stumbled onto about the cheapest media that can be had. If and when it wears out or gets too dirty to use, toss it out FOR THE BIRDS!:-D
Onliest drawback I can think of is, it prolly would'nt work for bottlenecks.

Scrounger
11-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Not to mention that you might have some bad tempered birds around there...

mooman76
11-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I tried it. Mostly in the bottle necked brass I had to dig the seed out. Because of all the different sizes it wedged in the brass like a jigsaw puzzle. I used the mixed kind with craked corn and so on. Crushed wallnut at the pet store doesn't cost much more.

454PB
11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't think feeding that lead laden seed to birds is a good idea.

Swagerman
11-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Please don't feed the birds that filthy seed after being in your lead laden tumbler media.

Jim

floodgate
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Swagerman:

....except Starlings...

floodgate

Swagerman
11-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, them damn crows need to go down...but not the Finches, blue jays, or robins.

Got a woodpecker that likes to tap on my 2nd story wall of our bedroom...dang peckerhead...but he don't do it very much or any damage.

Jim :mrgreen:

montana_charlie
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Got a woodpecker that likes to tap on my 2nd story wall of our bedroom...
You have a two-story bedroom? How does that work out?
CM

Swagerman
11-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Got a woodpecker that likes to tap on my 2nd story wall of our bedroom...which is where our bedroom is located...on the 2nd story level of our house.

The woodpecker is outside pecking on the wall because he's a nosey peckerhead that hears electronic noises coming through the wall...which he probably interepts that as insect habitation.

They sure have raised Heck with some of our trees that eventually fall over from all the holes they've made from their pecking.

Wonder if my house is covered for woodpeckers?

But even so, won't be trying to harm the peckerheads.

Jim

standles
11-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I would figure birdseed was more expensive that walnut or corncob media from petsmart.

Crushed Walnut ~1.00 / #
CornCob ~.75 / #

Mayor
11-17-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't think feeding that lead laden seed to birds is a good idea.

That's HEAVY man...................

spurrit
12-06-2007, 03:03 AM
You have a two-story bedroom? How does that work out?
CM

Pretty well, once you put in the trapeze and the tumbling bats!

I would figure birdseed was more expensive that walnut or corncob media from petsmart.

Crushed Walnut ~1.00 / #
CornCob ~.75 / #

Walnut and corncob is pretty cheap at Wal-mart.