PDA

View Full Version : Loose nut behing the slide

Jim
11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
I got hold of a S&W SW9VE 9MM pistol the other day and took it to the range. I couldn't get a magazine through it without a hang. This morning, one of my friends, very knowledgable in autos, came out to look at it with me to see what the problem is. Turns out I'm the problem. I was limp wristin' the dang thing! After showing me the proper grip to shoot autos with, I ran a whole box through it without a hitch.
It's a nice little pistol in mint condition and accurate, too! I thnk I'm gonna keep it.

scrapcan
11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
You have discovered the most common reason for troubles with shooters new to autoloading handguns. This especially happens with new guns that have springs that have not been "shot in". You have now entered the world of chasing more brass than you can imagine. Enjoy.

I have a springfield p9 that makes new shooters honest ( and experienced ones even more so). Having shot it alot I can make it malfunction at will and prove to new shooters what has happened.

JMax
11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I have a SW9C that one has to be careful with or malfunctions occur.

danski26
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
This is a subject that has always bothered me. I've stood next to people on the fireing line as instructors crowded around them to try to fix there "weak" grip so the pistol would function.

My first problem is i can't get it to happen on any pistol i own or was issued! I have tried holding my pitols as "weak" as i ever could and they function. I did most of my testing with a sig p220 and a 1911 but have tried probably a half dozen more. I have gone as far as loading on live round then dummy rounds into the magazine (for safety) and held onto the pistol with two fingers around the grip........no luck.

My second problem is IF a pistol exibits this tendency i don't want it in my holster. Combat, weather it is in Iraq or on the city streets, is not a perfect grip. Weak hand, strong hand, mud, blood, water, boogers for all know will be on your hands in combat. My pistol has to function with whatever kind of kung fu grip i put on it.

Now......don't get me wrong. I know this phenomonon exist because we have all seen it. I am not an instructor right now at my current job, i am the armorer. I get called over when the malfunctions start and asked to look the piece over. All looks good to me, i test fire it and no probs, give it back to Mr noodle arms and vola' jams-o-plenty.

My question to all those with experience is two fold. First why can't i replicate the problem when i shoot Mr noodle arms roscoe? Second IF a pistol exist that needs a perfect grip to function why is it usefull except for a paper weight?

scrapcan
11-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Danski26,

I think there is more than just the weak/loose grip. As you stated you can fire with just two fingers and not have a problem, but you give it back and voila it is a jam-o-matic. What I see most is a weak wrist/limp wrist and the tendency to anticipate recoil or snap shoot. That is what happens with the springfield p9 I have. If you take just a little bit of the force from the recoil it will not function correctly. But if you hold it loosely and let the action cycle it is flawless. I would call that limp wristing, which is different than a loose but secure hold.