PDA

View Full Version : Got my antelope....not with a cast bullet but still.

dk17hmr
10-04-2013, 04:42 PM
I just had one tag this year in an area north of my house about 70 miles. I put in for this area because it had a pretty good chance for non residents to draw...well the non residents that hunt with me didn't draw. So I was stuck with a single doe tag.

My former boss and good friend Charles moved north about 100 miles and when I told him I would be hunting around his place he asked two questions, what day, and what was I going to do with the meat. His cousin said he was looking for some meat for his freezer and would take anything I was willing to give out. I'm not big on antelope meat so I gave him everything but the backstraps of this doe, I'm going to try and canning them to see if we will like it better.

This wasn't so much a hunt as it was just filling a tag. Charles met me on the highway between his house and mine about 9 oclock this morning. He got to the meeting place a little before me and already had a herd of goats picked out. Charles piled into my pickup with all his gear since he has an elk tag for the same area. Wasn't long before my rig was covered in mud.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/IMG_20131004_115236_zps1b37c6a3.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/IMG_20131004_115236_zps1b37c6a3.jpg.html)

We got onto the herd and this doe presented an easy 250-260 yard broadside shot.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/ResizedImage_1380910716233_zps3a158a8a.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/ResizedImage_1380910716233_zps3a158a8a.jpg.html)

Originally I was going to try and fill my tag with my M1 Garand but with the weather this morning I left the Garand and grabbed my Rem 700 30-06 instead. The load was a max charge of IMR4895 with a 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip, this load runs right at 3325fps out of my rifle and shoots well, 1/2" at 100 yards. Zeroed 1" high at 100 yards, gives me a dead on hold at 200 and give me a chest hold out to 300 yards. She ran about 30 yards and face planted it. The little 125 NBT made an exit about the size of a 50 cent piece. There was no wasted or blood shot meat, although I didn't open up the chest cavity I would guess from the blood spray all over the snow I turned the lungs into jello and likely blew the heart up.

Smoke4320
10-04-2013, 04:56 PM
great report and good shooting

roverboy
10-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Good shooting. Looks like some good meat for your friend. Sounds like you got a tack driver load there.

bhn22
10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Snow!!! I'm jealous...

DanWalker
10-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Great job! I'm not quite the sniper you are. My last shot was about 200 yards closer than that....

TXGunNut
10-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice shooting, hope your friend enjoys the meat. Must admit I have a stainless/composite bad weather rifle that still shoots those orange things.

429421Cowboy
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Very nice! Only one more week before we can head out, we have 5 tags in the family and are hoping to full them all next weekend. Seems like you have a lot of sage there, our antelope here live on wheat regrowth and alfalfa fields which has a lot to do with why we like to eat them so much, it'll make a believer in antelope meat out of anybody!

dk17hmr
10-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Yep we have a lot of sage, which is the local antelopes primary food supply. Who ever coined the phrase "you are what you eat" must have been talking about the antelope of SW Wyoming. I have had antelope from eastern Montana that my dad got when I was still living in Michigan and that was hands down better than any antelope I have put in the freezer here in Wyoming.

On a side note I pressure canned the back straps yesterday. Some Canadian steak season, canning salt, raw meat, packed into pint jars. 75 minutes on 14 pounds (I am a little over 6000 feet of elevation)

Stinky goat in the front and elk in the back.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/IMG_20131005_125909_zps2fddd339.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/dk17hmr/media/IMG_20131005_125909_zps2fddd339.jpg.html)

I had half a jar last night for dinner and was very pleased with the results, it wasn't even heated up just opened the jar and shoveled some on my plate. I think from now on my antelope will be pressure canned in this matter. My wife even liked it, with a little BBQ sauce, and she hates everything about antelope.

DanWalker
10-07-2013, 04:02 PM
VERY cool! Looks tasty!

OnHoPr
10-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Congrats and good shot on the goat. You seem to get one every year don't you? Don't you get the heart and liver along with the sweet bread?

I've really not liked canned venison that much in a bunch of recipes except just reheated then with a bunch of saute'd onions and melted swiss on a toasted onion kaiser roll with steak sauce. But, I did find a recipe from an Alaskan cook book that I tweaked a bit. Corned with Morton's Tender Quick & pickling spice, just brine the meat then cook it like a corned beef then can it. It makes great hash fixings for breakfast and good sandwich material. Plus after its cooked when you go to can you get twice the amount of meat in a jar. One of these days I might learn how to take a pic better.

avogunner
10-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Man, I WANT TO MOVE TO WYOMING!!!!!!!

DanWalker
10-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Congrats and good shot on the goat. You seem to get one every year don't you? Don't you get the heart and liver along with the sweet bread?

I've really not liked canned venison that much in a bunch of recipes except just reheated then with a bunch of saute'd onions and melted swiss on a toasted onion kaiser roll with steak sauce. But, I did find a recipe from an Alaskan cook book that I tweaked a bit. Corned with Morton's Tender Quick & pickling spice, just brine the meat then cook it like a corned beef then can it. It makes great hash fixings for breakfast and good sandwich material. Plus after its cooked when you go to can you get twice the amount of meat in a jar. One of these days I might learn how to take a pic better.

All I have to say about antelope liver is ACCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!! I don't think a gamier flavor exists. I'd rather eat 20 full grown sage grouse, than one antelope liver. We put 2 or 3 antelope in the freezer here every year. Tried doing different preparations with the liver. NO WAY! It is completely unpalatable. I usually boil the hearts and slice them into treats for my dogs. My beagle can run a pass route like an NFL wide receiver, and catch them in the air when I throw them.

dk17hmr
10-08-2013, 08:40 PM
If I draw a tag it gets filled when it comes to antelope. I usually draw at least one tag sometimes I draw three.

I will take the heart of a deer or an elk (if I gut them most of the time I don't), for antelope......coyotes gotta eat to. I'm not big on liver from any animal so that gets donated to the scavengers also.

Finished off the rest of jar I started this weekend of antelope......makes me wish I would have kept more of it

DanWalker
10-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I hear you Doug. We are in full on meat processing mode here right now. I killed 3 antelope in 8 days this year. Dehydrator has been going non stop making jerky and meat grinder is getting a workout from grinding meat to make the jerky out of. We only make steaks and jerky anymore. Ground antelope needs suet added to it if you're gonna use it for burger or sausage. We'd rather just gnaw on jerky.

MT Gianni
10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
We have grown potatoes in the garden the last few years. Holly will take a pint of canned venison and another of bottled spuds and have a stew ready in 5 minutes. She also uses it for hot sandwitches. Good stuff. + 1 on shooting lopers that don't know what sagebrush is.

DanWalker
10-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Our goats around casper taste fine. Your sagebrush must be contaminated from all the black smoke them hopped up oilfield pickups belch out every time the drivers toe touches the gas pedal.