PDA

View Full Version : Any way to finish

angus6
10-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Is there any way to finish the bases on these bullets ? These are 62gr SS109's and also have M193's the same way. I've got atleast a couple 5 gal buckets of them

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e219/angus6/100_2224.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/angus6/media/100_2224.jpg.html)

Reload3006
10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
you would need to start them in your point form die backward so you can start the base folding. then turn them around in your point form die and finish the flat it will roll over and flatten out. You will need a punch that fits the nose or your bullet or you will flatten it out too. But it should come back when you re-point form.

Zymurgy50
10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Have you tried to put any of these downrange? If they fly straight why mess with them?

angus6
10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I'll give them a try as is, if they work it'll take a while to shoot up a couple 5 gallon buckts full

2tiredandlazy
10-04-2013, 11:10 PM
maybe use a spent primmer

Hammer
10-13-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not a certified expert on bullets, but my research indicates those babies (SS-109's) have a steel core....If that is true, I don't know of a die made, available to us, that will allow you to reform the base of that bullet around the steel core..... I vote for reload and shoot and save the wear and tear on a die...

MOcaster
10-13-2013, 07:49 PM
You can always send them to me. I'll dispose of them safely, I promise. There is no reason to trouble yourself with such an awful predicament. :)

aaronraad
10-14-2013, 02:22 AM
I'm gonna say it.

gas check

somebody had to.

Upside-down maybe? Or a trimmed off 22LR case?

The scary question is why are they like that; and why do you have them? If they are rejects, are you sure they have only been rejected for a single reason?

BT Sniper
10-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Thinking off the top of my head...... a base punch to match the nose profile..... run the base into a boat tail form die.... then if need be run the bullet into a point form die again with a base punch to match the now formed boat tail and bring them up to final diameter.

What is the starting diameter of the pieces you have? about .222ish I bet.

Might be able to do it all in a simple .2240 boat tail forming die????

Anything is possible and I bet it could be done with the one die but done correctly with two.

BT

Utah Shooter
10-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I'll give them a try as is, if they work it'll take a while to shoot up a couple 5 gallon buckts full

I must agree with this! I bet they are just as good at 100 yards with or without the Boat Tail. If you would like to get rid of some I would be more than happy to buy some off of you!

As far as I see it these are CQB projectiles anyway!

I'm not a certified expert on bullets, but my research indicates those babies (SS-109's) have a steel core....If that is true, I don't know of a die made, available to us, that will allow you to reform the base of that bullet around the steel core..... I vote for reload and shoot and save the wear and tear on a die...

Although most call them steel core that is really not the exact truth. They are actually more lead core with a bit of steel then they are steel core with no lead.