PDA

View Full Version : AR information

kbstenberg
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I have never owned or worked on AR's. But I recently got the bug to build one. I watched Brownells videos an was further interested in building one.
I then started looking at Brownells catalog on line and it soon hit me that just the parts to build an AR were
just as expensive as buying a completed firearm.
Could someone with experience building AR's PM me to help me decide if an AR build is in my future. Kevin

Baja_Traveler
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
True - you do not save any money by building one yourself as a general rule (it is possible to build one on the cheap if you shop smart and get lucky).
But the one you do build will be exactly to your own specifications and needs. Along with 10/22's the AR platform is the most mod friendly rifle there is...

KYShooter73
10-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Ive done several builds from the ground up. You can generally buy an "off the shelf" AR cheaper. I build them because I get the rifle in the configuration and with the quality components I want, plus I enjoy the whole process, planning, assembling, experimenting, and troubleshooting (if any). It will end up costing more to buy the factory rifle then do the extensive modifications.

Jupiter7
10-03-2013, 08:49 PM
If you only want one AR, buy it. But, my built AR's have better components at similar or lower cost vs. buying. As for tools, it can be done for about $50 investment. As with everything, there are different levels of quality. My $1000 build is heads above any $1000 bushmaster.

Right now, palmetto state armory has some great deals. I could build a quality AR around $700 that you can't match if bought complete at $700.

Greg in va
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I've built about 200 AR's and some where in the area of 150 M-16's, it's easy to do and you can build it better and cheaper than you can buy, plus like was said earlier, you can build it with the components you want to suit your purpose.

frankenfab
10-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Yup, you get to cherry pick your parts, and have a unique gun you assembled yourself. As Jupiter7 said, you can definitely save some money on building an upper end gun.

kbstenberg
10-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Ya it would be my 1 AR. I'm looking at more of an entry level gun. More to say I built it. I never was interested in the AR platform until I found out I could make it.

savagetactical
10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
They are by far the easiest rifles to learn to build , and the most customizable . Usually though not the cheapest when you DIY, everyone I ever built exceeded the cost of a rifle off the shelf. They are however what I wanted them to be, and when they ceased to meet my need I added or removed the parts to make them so.

USAFrox
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
If you really want to go crazy, and get even more props when you say "I built it", try out an 80% lower receiver. You take what is considered a paperweight, and convert it into a working firearm. Check the local laws in your area, but it's legal in most places. Definitely more expensive than just buying one premade (especially if you are only going to do one), but some people like the fact that you then have an unregistered, no paper-trail gun. Can't build it to sell, though, unless you are a licensed manufacturer and put a serial number on it. Lot of builder's pride, though.

USAFrox
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Man, I'd love to build a 6.5 Grendel. Hard to find barrels for them nowadays. Maybe later, when I'm rich and famous...

W.R.Buchanan
10-10-2013, 04:27 PM
If you are looking for an AR kit find a Del-Ton Upper with lower parts kit from Midway for <$500. It is a complete rifle less the lower receiver.

They you add your lower receiver and assemble the piece parts into it and away you go.

Or you can go buy the complete gun for about $750-800.

This is an entry level gun that is very serviceable, and will do everything you want from an AR type rifle.

If you want to customize it more you just buy the other parts you want and bolt them on. Then sell the stuff you don't use.

I bought an AR lower before last Christmas out of fear. Never could find the parts to finish the gun.

I ended up buying a Bushmaster Carbon 15 for less than I could have completed the lower I had. I paid $770 for that complete gun ready to fire. I have since added about $300 in aftermarket furniture and doodads to the gun.

It is nearly the way I want it to be. Waiting on a particular BUIS to become available again to finish it out.

It would have cost me the same or nearly so to piece this gun together.

Randy

seagiant
10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi,
Very nice Randy! I see we share a lot of taste in somethings!

W.R.Buchanan
10-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes Greg we do, although you do tend to look at things from a left handed perspective. HA!

I am waiting on ARMS to finish making their folding front sights for the 5/8" dia. A2 barrels so I can get that mounted and then a Magpul rear sight to finish the gun. I really wanted the nice dark green stuff but it just wasn't available at the time. You can't really go wrong with basic Black.

That gun has an all Carbon Fiber Receiver and weighs 6lbs 4oz. the way you see it in the pic.

I do like the light weight stuff.

I did the Magpul stock pistol grip and fore end, and of course their magazines as well, along with a Rainier Charging Handle, and Magpul BAD lever to operate the bolt catch. Those last two little doodads makes it so easy to lock the bolt open quickly to clear malfunctions it is criminal and with either hand.:mrgreen:

The optic is a Bushnell TRS-25 on a UTG 13/16" riser which places the thing at the right height. The Streamlight TLR1S gives night time capabilities and is so bright you can use your iron sights on a target in complete darkness. The strobe function is for disorienting your enemy so you can shoot him in the right place the first time. :Fire:

Randy

JKH
10-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Model 1 sales has great kits in most any configuration you wish for on average about $500, then go to AIM Surplus and they have SAA stripped lowers for around $80 (sometimes cheaper), you can build cheap with all new components.

If you cany assemble uppers and shop wise, you can pick up great deals on used uppers, etc. on ar15.com equipment exchange, if you work at it you can easily put together a nice rifle under $500

And please, resist the urge to bolt all that **** on it! A standard 16" carbine or 20" rifle will fill the bill, I highly recommend using a standard A frame front site with a flat top upper, then use an A2 carry handle along with your choice of optics (keep it simlle). Avoid all the bolt on BS like lasers, lights, foreward grips, etc. ad nauseum, anything that bolts on can loosen up and fall off, anything that uses batteries can and will die, everything you stick on it adds weight and **** sticking out gets caught on stuff and pokes your body slung up. The best AR is a simple AR and not a mall ninja toy!

Go to ar15.com and read up on building a lower, no special tools are required and you can assemble the whole shebang in 30 minutes without experience, and have fun : )

paul h
10-17-2013, 04:55 PM
To me it's more of assembling a gun than building one, but I guess that is just semantics.

I've had a couple of factory built AR's and assembled one myself. After finding what I do and don't like in an AR I realized that to get what I wanted it would be less expensive to assemble the exact parts I wanted vs. buying a factory built rifle and replacing many of the parts.

While the M4 style rifles are very popular, its worth noting that a 16" barrel with a flash suppressor generates a considerable amount of muzzle blast and hence an 18" or 20" barrel might is IMHO much more enjoyable to shoot. And you don't have to think of an AR as a plinking rifle, with a good barrel and good ammo 1/2 moa accuracy for 5 shots at 100 yds is quite reasonable.

boltons75
10-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Here's my 80% receiver build, with a PSA holiday deal build kit that cost 479.00, 25 for my receiver, 100.00 for the jig. The current configuration has a nikon 3-9 p223 scope on top of it, I got it and the burris pepr mount used for 180 for the set.

My jig is being used on multiple receivers, so that cost isn't too much of a factor.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/18/typane8e.jpg

kbstenberg
10-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you everyone for your information. Since I don't have any experience with the AR's (except military) I'm thinking of buying both a completed upper and a separate completed lower. Put them together get some experience then start changing things around. I am thinking to go with a New Frontier Armory Polymer lower and a DPMS Panther upper with a bull barrel and target crown (for the accuracy)
What would be the #1 item that you would change on a stock AR to increase accuracy? If I could guess ahead of time I am thinking that a superior trigger would be #1. Kevin

W.R.Buchanan
10-17-2013, 08:03 PM
The barrel is the most critical item, but you really need to get a gun up and running first and learn to shoot it and run it.

The accuracy is what it is, and for the purposes intended they all are more than adequate.

Better to learn the manual of arms on the gun and then once you have gotten to some level of proficiency you can start changing things.

Otherwise you'll never know if it's you or the gun.

Randy

TCLouis
10-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm wanting a simple 20" 1:8 or 1:9 flattop upper, and complete lower parts kit.I did not find that listed on the company site that helps to support this group.

No Mall Ninja stuff, simple setup.

kbstenberg
10-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Randy I am not interested in a gun for competition or high volume round count. I'm looking for a reliable accurate firearm for punching a FEW holes in paper, and accurate enough to shoot coyotes at 1/200 hundred yards.

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2013, 03:49 PM
KB: Like I said, just about any of them will do what you want. You are not asking anything from the gun that can't be delivered by just about any AR style Rifle or Carbine.

Check out Del-Ton. Their rifle kits (complete upper, and a complete lower parts kit) are sold by Midway and others. Availability is the main problem right now, but if you keep up with the website Midway has stock on them frequently. They come in just about any configuration you can think of for around $500.

The only other part you need is the Lower Receiver.

The reason I say get something up and running and then learn to use it is because as you use it you will see things you want to change to accommodate your personal tastes.

Nobody I have ever heard of has built his first AR, and not modified it later on. It's one of the really cool parts of the gun. There is so much aftermarket stuff available for the platform it is almost funny.

There is currently over 100 outfits either making complete guns or making parts for these guns. You can go as deep or as shallow as you want. This is the reason I recommend just getting a simple gun to start with and learning how to operate and shoot it, and then making mods as you see fit.

Randy

Crytes
10-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I bought a complete lower and built my upper it was super simple and as to cost. I built a piston driven 300blk with 1:11 twist and mid gas system for $1200 and have seen some relatively pedestrian uppers that cost that much.