PDA

View Full Version : Melted down some commercial 9mm lead today

capt.hollis
10-02-2013, 11:36 PM
Guys I had a box of 500 "9 mm" commercial made bullets that I did not like how they shot in my gun so I decided that they might be good for my 300 black out. I poured them in my 30 cal 155-312 Lee mold, and after they cooled off I did the pencil test to see how hard they were. They came out to be "2H" which is a BHN of 26-28. I mixed the lead bullets 50/50 with my wheel weight lead plus 2% tin which was probably a waste. Do you think this is right with such a high BHN? Do you think they'll be too hard for the 300 AAC blackout? The bullets are the prettiest I've ever made, lol, they look like shiney solid silver with a mirror finish .
Thanks guys .:redneck:

Garyshome
10-02-2013, 11:44 PM
2H is Iffy at best. Get a real hardness tester! 2H is a pencil not a BHN for lead! That is not a reliable brinell hardness.

You are reading this while the the NSA is reading this post!!!!!
Note to the NSA... You are violating my rights. Protected by the 1st amendment/2nd amendment!!!!!!!

capt.hollis
10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
2H is Iffy at best. Get a real hardness tester! 2H is a pencil not a BHN for lead! That is not a reliable brinell hardness.

You are reading this while the the NSA is reading this post!!!!!
Note to the NSA... You are violating my rights. Protected by the 1st amendment/2nd amendment!!!!!!!I realize that the pencil test isn't the most precise measurement/instrument for BHN,,,,, but it's very close. The past few days I've double checked all the lead I've tested with my neighbors Lee bullet hardness tester, and so far the pencil test has been right on. It May be primitive , but it works . I am going to get a BHN tester, but haven't made up my mind on which one yet. I'll probably just get the Lee.

mikeym1a
10-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Be prepared for a long wait on the Lee tester. Mine was on back order for maybe 3 months. It finally came in. If I had the extra money, I would probably get the cabintree model (think that's how it's spelled). I have trouble with the little microscope and my fuzzy eyes. I read about the pencil method, but didn't understand how it worked. BUT I read several reports on this site that said it does work, and is quite close. The pencils are certainly cheaper and more easily obtained. capt. hollis' report is the 5th or 6th stating much the same. CHEERS!!!!

junkman1967
10-03-2013, 12:37 AM
I have some 9mm conical points that don't shoot well. I'm going to melt them down. Do I need to clean the lube off them?

WallyM3
10-03-2013, 12:41 AM
For what it's worth, I just recently melted around 1,000 240gr. boolets with lube, I got less smoke than I anticipated, and most lubes do help as a flux (though I've grown partial to saw dust).

Exhaust fan was my friend, though no more than usual.

capt.hollis
10-03-2013, 01:20 AM
I have some 9mm conical points that don't shoot well. I'm going to melt them down. Do I need to clean the lube off them?
Just throw em in the pot and let it smoke . Worked great . All the commercial moly/etc will come up to the too , and it's actually self fluxing itself , and you'll see the prettiest lead .

junkman1967
10-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Thx :-)

Spawn-Inc
10-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Be prepared for a long wait on the Lee tester. Mine was on back order for maybe 3 months. It finally came in. If I had the extra money, I would probably get the cabintree model (think that's how it's spelled). I have trouble with the little microscope and my fuzzy eyes. I read about the pencil method, but didn't understand how it worked. BUT I read several reports on this site that said it does work, and is quite close. The pencils are certainly cheaper and more easily obtained. capt. hollis' report is the 5th or 6th stating much the same. CHEERS!!!!

Titan reloading has 38 in stock. http://www.titanreloading.com/mold-melters-accessories/lee-lead-hardness-test-kit

lwknight
10-03-2013, 06:45 PM
I guess its possible if you melted "Oregon Trail" bullets down. They make some really hard bullets.
I have heard that they are expensive because the secret ingredient is silver.
Most all commercial bullets are going to be about 16 bnh and not even that till they age a few weeks.

bangerjim
10-03-2013, 07:15 PM

Jist melt 'em! The grease will burn off and act as a reducer like wax. May be a bit smokey, but I have done it. I have also dissolved the stuff out with laq thinner overnight and then washed with VERY hot water and SimpleGreen to cut any grease B4 I powder coated them.

bangerjim

bangerjim
10-03-2013, 07:20 PM
I realize that the pencil test isn't the most precise measurement/instrument for BHN,,,,, but it's very close. The past few days I've double checked all the lead I've tested with my neighbors Lee bullet hardness tester, and so far the pencil test has been right on. It May be primitive , but it works . I am going to get a BHN tester, but haven't made up my mind on which one yet. I'll probably just get the Lee.

If you can swing the extra $$, get the Cabine Tree tester. It is fast, reliable, and does not use you press to test. Just grab it and test. You can also take it with you to the salvage yards to test what you are buying!!!! The Lee is slow and cumbersome......I own one. After waiting 4+ months for it, I called Cabine and he shipped it out the next day! Never looked back. The Lee thing just lays there now. I use the microscope for inspections occasionally but never to test hardness.

bangerjim

thebigmac
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
If you can swing the extra $$, get the Cabine Tree tester. It is fast, reliable, and does not use you press to test. Just grab it and test. You can also take it with you to the salvage yards to test what you are buying!!!! The Lee is slow and cumbersome......I own one. After waiting 4+ months for it, I called Cabine and he shipped it out the next day! Never looked back. The Lee thing just lays there now. I use the microscope for inspections occasionally but never to test hardness.

bangerjim

O.K. Fellows; Hope I'm not in the wrong place with a question...BUT.. When smelting, can
wax (parifin) be OK to use to flux with??? Got a few pounds in a "Hand Soaker for arthritis).
Hate to throw it away if it can be used for good things...

Thanks for looking, (especially if you answer). bigmac

bangerjim
10-03-2013, 11:50 PM
O.K. Fellows; Hope I'm not in the wrong place with a question...BUT.. When smelting, can
wax (parifin) be OK to use to flux with??? Got a few pounds in a "Hand Soaker for arthritis).
Hate to throw it away if it can be used for good things...

Thanks for looking, (especially if you answer). bigmac

Kinda a thread hijack but........

Check out the threads on here about fluxing/reducing.

Short answer: Wax is a reducer....sawdust is a flux. There have been many VERY heated debates on here about the subject.

I use sawdust AND wax when smelting dirty filthy COWW's and crapola lead.

I use ONLY beeswax in my casting pot because the lead is 110% clean and all I want to do is get the tin back in there.

bangerjim

junkman1967
10-06-2013, 03:40 PM
Here is what mine came out looking like after getting the mould hot by casting a bunch and scooping all the **** out of the pot. What do you think?

Garyshome
10-06-2013, 04:43 PM
That's REAL hard for lead. Is it brittle?

capt.hollis
10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Here is what mine came out looking like after getting the mould hot by casting a bunch and scooping all the **** out of the pot. What do you think?
Look good !

runfiverun
10-06-2013, 11:55 PM
back when store bought cast was affordable I would buy 2/6 alloy from another local caster [at the outrageous price of $1.00 per pound] and add 2% more tin to the mix to make 4/6/90 alloy, this is still my alloy of choice for a few rifles.