PDA

View Full Version : Need a 38 SPL smokey blank WITHOUT using Black Powder

TCLouis
10-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Who has an idea how to make one?

I have Bullseye, Promo, Red Dot, Clays and then the next tier of powders also.

Projectiles that won't mostly self destruct won't work.

Will be outside.

Will a paper wad build enough pressure with bullseye/PROMO?

OK neighbors plug your ears, looks like there is gonna be some testing going on!

NoZombies
10-02-2013, 11:54 PM

Do you need theatrical blanks (generally crimped, nothing that can become a projectile) or will something that pushes a wad out be acceptable?

FergusonTO35
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Green Dot is pretty smoky.

375RUGER
10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
how about a black powder substitute? I haven't tried it, but was told that vermiculite packed tight on top of the powder makes a good blank. Just repeating what I was told. I don't have any vermiculite on hand to see how well it packs.
I bet if you look at womens makeup, you could find a dry powder to put on top of the powder charge to produce a "smoke cloud".

grumman581
10-08-2013, 11:07 AM
If you use a lot of powder with a wax plug on the top to seal it, the wax basically turns to a powder when it is shot, so it is not very hazardous at other than point blank distances.

1wise1
10-10-2013, 05:21 AM
I've done it 2 different ways, little difference. Put a small wad of Kleenex on top of the powder or a small ball of cotton like the kind you pull out of a new bottle of aspirin. Just make sure the wad you use is completely dry and keep the loaded blanks in a dry place along with a couple of those paks of silicia gel to draw the moisture out of the air. I worked one time with a stunt guy who took a bunch of cotton and dyed it bright red, then totally dried it before shooting it. He was looking to create a cheap squib for a low dollar movie. Didn't work.
Without thinking it through thoroughly, I suggested a tiny clear capsule filled with red food dye. Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed because somebody could have been shot in the eye.

wiljen
10-10-2013, 09:21 AM
T7 or pyrodex, magnum primer, cotton ball and wax over the top to seal as mentioned above will generally produce a nice large noise and cloud.

Wayne S
10-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Still unclear of your EXACT use for this. IF outside and need visual "smoke" as in a starter pistol. Bulls Eye and a case full of decron filler, the puffy stuff, not the batten, and a piece of card board to hold it in place.
I would warn against using a wax wad and thinker that about 1/8"! Ask me how I know about 1/2" think .430 wax wads.

375RUGER
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Ask me how I know about 1/2" think .430 wax wads.

OK, I'll ask. I know what a 3/8-1/2" wax .22 will do.

bigted
10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
some lubes smoke pretty good when fired.

w30wcf
10-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Projectiles that won't mostly self destruct won't work.
Will be outside.
Will a paper wad build enough pressure with bullseye/PROMO?
OK neighbors plug your ears, looks like there is gonna be some testing going on!

TCLouis,
I have made blanks with smokeless for the .30-30,.44-40 & .45-70.
Filling the case 1/2 way with bullseye and similar burn rate powders then pressing in a folded square of TP (toilet paper) works really well. If one wants a more robust report, add more powder (I have used up to 80% of the case capacity with no problems with a TP wad. (NO BULLETS!!).

Have fun,
w30wcf

'74 sharps
10-22-2013, 06:09 PM
If you use a lot of powder with a wax plug on the top to seal it, the wax basically turns to a powder when it is shot, so it is not very hazardous at other than point blank distances.

I would not want to be hit by a wax bullet. Many years ago I used to shoot them with small primers and no powder through a Colt Officers Model Match in 38 special. Will put a serious dent in a coffee can

grumman581
10-22-2013, 06:19 PM
I would not want to be hit by a wax bullet. Many years ago I used to shoot them with small primers and no powder through a Colt Officers Model Match in 38 special. Will put a serious dent in a coffee can

But if you put a few grains of powder in it, the wax basically turns to dust. I wouldn't want to be hit with it at very close range, but across my backyard, the dust decelerates quickly enough that I doubt that it would penetrate tissue paper. If you are wanting to create blanks for a starter pistol (or just to be able to shoot in the air safely as a replacement for real bullets that some cultures seem to like to do during holiday celebrations), this sort of wax bullet would be safe.