Garyshome
10-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Not pickled!

waksupi
10-03-2013, 12:51 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?131703-Pickled-Pike

MaryB
10-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Filet, salt, pepper, flour, pan fry, eat.

L Ross
10-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Waksupi's recipe is spot on. If you wish to emulate commercial pickled herring's taste, buy some white port wine and play with substituting the wine for some of the sugar and vinegar in the final brine.

Duke

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Some more info here !!!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106670-Pike-fry-bake-or-pickle&highlight=
I like some oil in mine, gives it a canned tunafish thing !

MaryB
10-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Never understood why people worry about the Y bones. Pan fry and once you know where they are they slide right out as you eat.

redneckdan
10-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Be carefull with pickled fish, the process does not kill any parasites that maybe present. Of particular concern are tapeworm cysts, pike are particularly susceptible. There have been several out breaks here on the range from pickled fish. Cooking will kill the cysts or freezing below 0f (colder the better) for several days will do it as well.

Last season an old Finn came into the aid room complaining of stomach pain and fatigue. I noticed his cloths fit loosely (ie recent weight loss), I asked if he'd had any raw foods lately and said pickled pike at New Years. I referred him to emergency services and told him to go immediately. Called ahead to brief the on call and advised to check for Diphyllobothrium Latium. She was skeptical. Couple hours layer the ER calls back confirming the tapeworms and stated it probably would have killed the guy.

nanuk
11-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Never understood why people worry about the Y bones. Pan fry and once you know where they are they slide right out as you eat.

I cut them out when I fillet.... takes little effort or time

as for panfrying? I NEVER use flour anymore... makes 'em greasy... just fish, seasoning salt and pepper, and I use canola oil for frying, as tallow/lard are never available for shore lunch

nanuk
11-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Be carefull with pickled fish, the process does not kill any parasites that maybe present. Of particular concern are tapeworm cysts, pike are particularly susceptible. There have been several out breaks here on the range from pickled fish. Cooking will kill the cysts or freezing below 0f (colder the better) for several days will do it as well.

Last season an old Finn came into the aid room complaining of stomach pain and fatigue. I noticed his cloths fit loosely (ie recent weight loss), I asked if he'd had any raw foods lately and said pickled pike at New Years. I referred him to emergency services and told him to go immediately. Called ahead to brief the on call and advised to check for Diphyllobothrium Latium. She was skeptical. Couple hours layer the ER calls back confirming the tapeworms and stated it probably would have killed the guy.

can you freeze THEN pickle?

redneckdan
11-28-2013, 12:06 AM
can you freeze THEN pickle?

Correct. Freeze then thaw and pickle. Fish will get a bit mushy after thawing but will firm up once the vinegar works its wonders.

waksupi
11-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Something I am going to try this winter ice fishing, is doing an alum soak for maybe 12-24 hours. Makes pickles crunchy, it may firm the fish flesh!

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Some more info here !!!
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106670-Pike-fry-bake-or-pickle&highlight=
I like some oil in mine, gives it a canned tunafish thing !

I have no idea why anyone would want to make it taste like tuna.....

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I have no idea why anyone would want to make it taste like tuna.....

Well, actually it doesn't taste like tunafish, it tastes like canned smoked fish and the small amount of oil gives it the texture of tunafish. It works well on sandwiches or casserole whereas pickled fish doesn't. Personally, I'm not a big fan of pickled fish...I can eat a bite or two as an appetizer, but I can't imagine using it in an entree ...and I prefer Herring as a pickle.