PDA

View Full Version : Short Throat 9mm, Help Design a Boolit?

Danderdude
10-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm having a hard time reconciling some data with reality, and need a hand guys.

I'm trying to design a boolit for Tom at Accurate Molds to make for me, but have just hit a wall. It's going to be a .357 diameter boolit for 9mm Luger, tumble lube design, and as close to 150gr as I can get. I sent him an e-mail this morning with this drawing I came up with, modifying the 35-147A he already has in his catalog, to add another full length driving band while maintaining overall length, weight and shape by "moving" the bevel base.

Full size: http://i.imgur.com/e2vcWNM.png

Measurements of the original
http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bullets/detail/35-147A-D.png

However, while testing some Lee Autodisk sizes with Unique, referenced against the new Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook data and how charges of Unique fill the case, I realized there's a problem. Lyman lists a max load with the Lyman 356 637 147gr bullet as 3.8gr Unique, with a rather short OAL.

Looking at Tom's drawing, the amount of the case occupied by his 147A is right at .30". However, a 3.8gr charge of Unique only leaves .27" of case length to work with before compression. This fact, coupled with my CZ 75BD Police having a .03" throat, is causing some trepidation. I couldn't take even the stock 147A design, seat it on 3.8gr Unique and make it chamber. It's a physical impossibility. I could back off the charge to the 3.2gr range, but then I'd lose a substantial bit of velocity in my 9mm rifle. I could also shorten the bullet to about 140gr but I'd rather not.

Does anyone have a Lyman 356 637 147gr bullet they can measure the length of for me? Any ideas or suggestions?

And before you ask, I have big jugs of Promo (aka Red Dot), Unique and 2400. I'd rather not have to buy other pistol powders.

338RemUltraMag
10-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Lengthen the middle drive band and get rid of one of the micro grooves. When tumble lubing you shouldnt have any build up in those grooves anyway.

captaint
10-03-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm with UltraMag here. Skip the TL design and do the best you can with one regular loob groove. May still have to reduce weight to make it happen. Mike

texassako
10-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks like Tom has a bullet design already for a .03" throat and only .27" of case to fit it in. Only problem is it is only 125gr and you wanted heavier. You can tumble lube any design, not just ones with TL grooves. Maybe try to fatten that one up in some way, shallower lube groove since you will tumble lube?

popper
10-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Get rid of the grooves and use the H-T coating. Leave the BB on, I'd shave a few thou. off the ogive with that short throat, possibly add back on the nose if the mags will take it. Don't know why the 150 requirement, 3 gr. going to make a diff? Obviously 231 will let you put in more powder.