PDA

View Full Version : I think I ruined my mold...

IROCZ
10-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Well I think I killed my 312-185 Lee mold. I was casting WW with it and the sprue plate started getting hard to move so I touched it with a little anti seize as per Lee instructions. Well I must have used too much as now it has got some type of light brown residue in the cavities and wrinkles every bullet badly no matter what the heat. I tried scrubbing with Dawn and even boiled it in water but the light brown sheen returns after coming back up to heat. I may try acetone or other thinners later today. I was also thinking of a commercial product that I used to clean aluminum prior to welding, but it seemed to etch the surface of the aluminum I have used it on before. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone solve this problem already? Thanks.

454PB
10-02-2013, 04:18 PM
One of the strong solvents you mentioned will work, I normally use brake cleaner, but acetone will work. You may never get the staining removed, but the mould will cast well again.

Rainier
10-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi IROCZ -
I managed to get some beeswax in my Lee 45 mold. It too turned brown and wrinkled all my boolits. I solved the problem with one of those long wooden handled cotton swabs that I wrapped part of a cotton ball around. I closed the mold, secured the handles with a rubber band, put a drop of dawn soap in the cavity and used the swab with the cotton ball on the end to clean out the mold. I gave the swab handle a back and forth motion like starting a fire with a stick. It didn't remove all the brown staining completely but sure fixed the wrinkles and didn't damage my mold.
Hope that helps,
Rainier

bangerjim
10-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Staining is not bad. Just make sure the cavities are smooth. Check them out with a strong magnifying glass and a thin wooden pointed stick.

I use bees wax the time for mold lubes and it can build up if you do not wipe it out after casting.

Of course it you think you ruined it, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. I will even pay the shipping!

bangerjim

MtGun44
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Scrub gently with tooth brush and Comet to clean.

Bill

williamwaco
10-02-2013, 06:08 PM
One of the strong solvents you mentioned will work, I normally use brake cleaner, but acetone will work. You may never get the staining removed, but the mould will cast well again.

Plus one on brake cleaner ( and a toothbrush )

You can clean it but it will take a little elbow grease ( Don't get that elbow grease in the cavity )

IROCZ
10-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the ideas Gentlemen. The first thing I tried was brakecleen. It didn't cut the crud. I cleaned it with acetone but didn't get a chance to fire up a pot. I'll try her out today if I get a chance. My son has this "toy" called an "Eyeclops" it's like an electronic microscope. I should have thought of that myself! The comet thing sounds like the nuclear option. Thanks again!

leadman
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
I use Comet frequently, works great on new molds along with the toothbrush to remove alot of the burrs. If you have any build up in the cavities it can be removed with a pencil eraser. This has a type of clay in it and is slightly abrasive. Works good to polish off rough edges in the cavities.
I gave up on antiseize and just use the Bullplate lube, which is 2 stoke engine oil.

williamwaco
10-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I have used comet too. Good results.

frankenfab
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Anti-seize does cling to things well! I put it on the tips of the handle screws, but use bull plate on the top parts of the mold.

John Boy
10-03-2013, 11:00 PM
IROCZ - + using comet and a tooth brush. You've got some scrubbing to do though. If you have an ultra sonic cleaner, that should clean the mold up also. I stopped using anti seize for the very issue you have
In the future, use paraffin ... lubes great and leaves no burned residue

IROCZ
10-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Plus one on brake cleaner ( and a toothbrush )

You can clean it but it will take a little elbow grease ( Don't get that elbow grease in the cavity )

Lol! I'll try!

IROCZ
10-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Well I tried the acetone/brakecleen/Dawn and scrubbing. I tried it in the bottom pour and ladled, I ran the heat from 675 to 850 and it still wrinkles pure lead. I sent the Wife to the store for Comet and she came back with "Barkeepers friend", she said it seemed appropriate. So I broke out the elbow grease and scrubbed it like 18 times, cleaning in between with Dawn (for the elbow grease that was flying around). It is really clean now! I would have tried it but had to run off to work. I think I've spent more in materials than the mold is worth! Bangerjim, you got dibs on it. I'm putting an order in with Midway and may just order another one if it still fails to comply. Thanks again!

bangerjim
10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Well I tried the acetone/brakecleen/Dawn and scrubbing. I tried it in the bottom pour and ladled, I ran the heat from 675 to 850 and it still wrinkles pure lead. I sent the Wife to the store for Comet and she came back with "Barkeepers friend", she said it seemed appropriate. So I broke out the elbow grease and scrubbed it like 18 times, cleaning in between with Dawn (for the elbow grease that was flying around). It is really clean now! I would have tried it but had to run off to work. I think I've spent more in materials than the mold is worth! Bangerjim, you got dibs on it. I'm putting an order in with Midway and may just order another one if it still fails to comply. Thanks again!

Let me know by PM! :bigsmyl2:

banger

IROCZ
10-07-2013, 04:24 AM
Well, I think its fixed, kind of... It will now cast COWW alloy fine but still wrinkles pure lead somewhat. I added tin to try to stop the wrinkles but no luck. It must be my metal.

runfiverun
10-07-2013, 12:23 PM
lead has a higher liquidous temp than ww's do turn the heat up a bit more.