PDA

View Full Version : Utility Scale

Thor's Daddy
10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm in need of a small scale for general weighing work. Prefer electronic and I'd rather not spend $300. Prolly use it for stuff that's less than a couple pounds. Its first job will be weighing beeswax for mixing up some Simple Lube, but I'm sure I'll find a half-million uses for it once it's on my bench.

I saw one at Harbor Freight for around 20 bucks, but folks seemed to dislike the 40-second shutoff, which really would be a PIA. And once it shut off, it would also lose tare, so I'm kinda skeptical about picking one up.

So, what do you use?

Mk42gunner
10-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I have an old Hanson 25 pound capacity scale that my Grandpa had when Dad was a kid. It works well enough for blending small lots of alloy.

Gravity isn't affected by electrical power surges.

Robert

DBH45
10-02-2013, 01:47 AM
There is a seller on ebay that has many Postal and other scales for sale, REASONABLY. I bought for 16.00 the same scale Hornady sells. I will be going back for a Postal scale for myself. His name is...
digiscalewholesale. I don't think he can be beat. Oh yes my scale came with a 10 year warranty.

Starvnhuntr
10-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Go on e-bay and look for postal scales. they are quick and accurate enough for lube etc. and inexpensive.

Thor's Daddy
10-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks, gents. I appreciate the help.

razerok1
10-03-2013, 11:38 PM
harbor freight has decent scales not sure what kind of accuracy your looking for.

Gar
10-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I have the HF scale that you're referring to and yes the auto-shutoff is a PITA. I use it to count out cases, bullets, etc. and if you move away from the scale for any length of time . . you get to start over :mad:
I've gotten into the habit of tapping the scale with my finger just to keep it active.

rockshooter
10-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Check with Bed Bath & Beyond or anyplace that sells kitchen stuff. Or Goodwill and clones- these small scales are quite common.
Loren