PDA

View Full Version : 2 or 4 cavity?

DirtyDusty
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Which is preferred and why? I am assuming there are pros and cons to both.

Echd
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
More is faster.

Fewer is lighter and less taxing if you can't or don't want to hold one for a while.

It takes a bit longer to get a big mold up to temp. Accordingly it stays at that temp better, given the greater mass.

But really you're just weighing efficiency vs comfort in casting.

I am not bothered by a 2, 4, or 6 cav mold, but swing around an old 10 cav armory mold and you might hate life after a while!

Also, fewer cavities means that the bullets you cast will be more similar, if you know what I mean- say you have a 6 cav and 2 of the cavs are a little "off". That's simpler to segregate if you have the same problem in a 2 cav... but that's an extreme example and can't say that I've ever had that problem, although one of my many 6 cav lees has a single sticky cavity that drives me nuts sometimes!

500MAG
10-01-2013, 09:57 PM
2 cavity is great for cost but if your shooting a semiautomatic you probably would want the 4 cavity.

Jack Stanley
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I prefer a four cavity because when I want a pile of bullets I'd rather not take all day to make them . I don't shoot benchrest anymore so I really don't need to be slow and precise . With multiple cavities I can spend more time at the range .

Jack

Mk42gunner
10-01-2013, 11:35 PM
For me, it kind of depends on the type of gun I will be shooting the boolits out of. It does not bother me in the least to use a single cavity mold for something that I am going to shoot out of a single shot, but I would not want to cast plinking ammo for a repeater with one.

Robert

oldandslow
10-02-2013, 05:05 AM
dd, 10/2/13

When I'm casting for pistols or semiauto rifles (.223) I prefer a mold with a large number of cavities- four through six. When I'm casting for accuracy in a rifle I like fewer cavities so I can make sure that each boolit is the same as the next (one or two cavity). With the pistols and semiauto I go through a number of boolits quickly and do not need the accuracy I would for the rifles. So you can figure out what your application needs and then buy the mold of your choice. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Hickory
10-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Arthritis has taken it's toll on me. A two cavity is enough.

Dan Cash
10-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I make about 1500 bullets for a BP /45-70 each year. It takes all winter to cast them up from a single cavity mould. My shooting partner and I use twice that number of cal. .30 bullets which are cast from 4 cavity Accurte moulds. It takes an afternoon to make a couple thousand with the 4 hole moulds.

mpmarty
10-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Rifle gets single or at most two cavity. Pistol I prefer a six cavity and would even use an eight or ten if I had it.

HeavyMetal
10-02-2013, 08:49 PM
it really depends on what and how much shooting you plan to do,LOL!

When I was competing I would cast with two molds of the same design, back when only 2 bangers were available this was good.

Today I have two molds for most of my go to boolits, 9mm 125 2R and the 452 H&G copy 6 bangers made by Lee, I can make a good pile of boolits fast with a pair of these going let me tell ya!

so it isn't a matter of which is best, it's a matter of which is best for you.

Pick you mold or molds with a thought to your future shooting needs, buy what you need now as prices for gear rarely go down.

doctorggg
10-02-2013, 08:56 PM
5 shoulder operations makes me prefer 2 cavity brass molds. Aluminum 4 is no problem. 6 cavity with Lee when available.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-02-2013, 10:01 PM
It is generally difficult to recommend tools or methods to folks as different people have different needs and expectations. A two cavity mold can turn out a respectable number of bullets, but will take more time to do it. A four cavity mold is quicker, but it weighs more and can tire some casters. If you really want to "rip", a 6 cavity or better yet an 8 or a 10 holer will generate large quantities of casts, but they (even with adequate mold support) will/can be tiring on the wrist-arm. You have to decide what you need in terms of quantities before you commit to buying. If you make a mistake/misjudge, then it is only an error and you can sell it and do it over. You have to be comfortable and satisfied with what you do...not committed to what someone else believes is the way to go. I have 0ne cavs, 2 cavs and fours and they work well for me. I at one time had a few sixes, but got rid of them as they were difficult for me to handle with increasing age, so keep in mind that even needs can change. LLS

Bigslug
10-02-2013, 10:45 PM
I find that sitting in front of the pot for longer periods is far more fatiguing to back and shoulders than manipulating the weight of the mold, so I tend to prefer 4,5, and 6 cavity molds - at least for most handgun applications. Unless it's a matter of 500 grain photon torpedoes for a .45 caliber rifle, I'm more about being as productive with my time as possible.