PDA

View Full Version : Assembly tips needed Browning Model 1885 High Wall, Miroku made

irhutch
10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I would love to hear from someone who has disassembled the Miroku made Browning High Wall, I have one in 45/70 with a failure to fire after years of use, I tried first to flush out any residue but still had the problem of it stopping at a half cock position every time I try to fire it. I have read several threads on putting one of these back together and would like to hear form someone who has done it, what is the trick to getting those double coil mainsprings back in. I seem to get the ends of the spring guides back in their holes after a day of trying.

EDG
10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Try Wayne at http://texas-mac.com/

I have had FTF when loading bullets long and forcing the loaded round home with the lever.
I assume the breech block was not rising all the way to to the top due to friction.
If I recycled the block down by opening the lever slightly and closing again it would always fire.
My FTF were always associated with long loaded ammo that I could not seat by thumb pressure alone.

NSB
10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
After reading on line about some other people trying to take one apart and put it back together, I think I'll just take mine somewhere. Everything I've read says you need three hands, a photographic memory, and an IQ bordering on genius. I'm lacking all three. Were you shooting black powder in it? Mine had a few problems with 5744 so I quit using it and it was OK after that. I know they don't like residue in the action.

irhutch
10-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I am the second owner no black powder, it is the safety system for lack of a better word, if I put pressure on the hammer to make it fall faster when I pull the trigger it will go all the way down like it is supposed to. I think what confused me reading instructions on the web was one set I read made it sound like you put the trigger group in first which is what I tried and the other said you put the trigger and hammer in more or less together.

irhutch
10-04-2013, 04:42 PM
The mistake I made was trying to take take the rifle apart as little as possible to make sure it was clean before looking for other caused for my failure to fire. I only removed the forstock, ejector parts under the forestock and drove the hammer pin out to removed the hammer and its coil springs with guides. Then I was able to better spray down into the trigger group to flush out any crud, there was some because before I flushed it out you could not even turn the trigger adjustment screw but after I flushed it out you could.

Then I tried to put it back together and got stuck. You can take out the hammer and its springs out without removing the trigger housing but you have no hope of putting it back together with the trigger housing still pinned in. Once I understood my mistake I removed the buttstock and trigger housing. Then I looked at how everything thing fit together and lined everything up with the trigger housing only partially in its channel. Even then when you get everything in place the pin that received the spring guide will rotate our of position, you simply turn it back to accept the guides and use the lever to push things in place. Then you open the lever just enough to line up the parts to insert the hammer pin. No problem. Hope this helps anyone who makes my same mistake.

What had been going on before is that when I tried to fire the rifle the hammer would stop at a half cock position, after a good cleaning of the trigger group it fell properly.