PDA

View Full Version : RCBS JR3 Press Restoration

Randy C
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I bought this press here a few months ago and It needs a good cleaning. What has worked the best for you folks when restoring a press, I think the paint will take the longest to get off most of it is dried grease. Thanks Randy
83255 83256

seagiant
10-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Hi Randy,
Here's what I do. Don't remove the paint get a good heavy degreaser from a hardware store and some green meanies and scrub the hec out of it! This removes the grease oil and dead paint/powder coat! Then get the paint you like rustoleom is good and give it about two coats of the color paint. No primer is really needed. Now the hard part,keep your nasty hands off of it for a couple of days or put it in a box with lights to cure for a day!

I also bead blast the bare metal parts and then SLOW rust blue. This makes it like new and looks pretty good!

Sweetpea
10-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Seagiant, that's some mighty fine advice...

Randy C
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
That sounds like good advice to me. I'M Going to stop and get Degreaser this morning I will spray it and put it in a bag to soak, I can try some Goof Off on the white paint. then attempt redo the finish latter. Is this Press painted or powder coated and can I still get the right color, It is a different green then my RC2/Rock Crusher.

I have several presses that are showing there age and I want to start getting every thing set up to restore them to the original color or at lest make a effort to get the right color... [ If this first one comes out wright ]. Eastwood makes a home powder coat system.

The list is RCBS JR3/Herters #3 that has ben painted the wrong color and a Hornady 366 that is sun faded and some of the shell holders on my DL155 presses need to be blued again my little female cat peed on the base of a couple presses, they are not allowed back in there.

There is a young man in town his Dad owns the Mustang Restoration parts shop and they have what I don't. He is starting to redo some old guns for people for side money smart kid.