PDA

View Full Version : I found some 7.62x54 brass for sale and glad I did.

unclogum bill
10-01-2013, 05:43 PM
I have two of these Russian rifles that were purchased at gun shows a few years back. Also at that time got about 30 pieces of brass from a vender. Started shooting them about a year ago, but alas the brass has always been impossible ,it seemed to come by. Well the source I found is Brownells . Lapua brand and 100 at $109 . Arrived today , seem to cycle well. I have got to admit the scarcity of components made me nervous. I have the mold (s) and now the brass . Looks like I'm set here forever. Best part , if you need some , they still got it for sale.

texassako
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I think brass is tough to find because so many shoot surplus ammo. The Lapua is some really good stuff. I should have bought more when a large amount arrived last year for real cheap, but nobody really knew much about the vendor. I hedged my bets and only ordered a hundred. Privi factory ammo has been my main source, but that feels like an expensive way to get brass when you are set up to load a caliber. The Lapua brass has been dedicated to my M28-76 since it is actually a 7.62x53r chamber like that brass is head stamped.

WILCO
10-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Glad you found some. Neck sizing will make that brass last longer.

Three44s
10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Here's what I bought a few years ago ......... and it's good stuff!!!

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12651

Three 44s

spfd1903
10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Surprised to find Prvi Partizan for $17 a box at Cabela's a couple weeks ago. Bought a couple boxes. Have been working with brass from either Winchester loaded ammo or PP loaded ammo for several years. One set is used in the M44 and another set in the 91/30. I neck size them after firing. Into the fourth loading cycle for both batches, no issues. Plan to anneal them after the fifth cycle.

johnly
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
I was just out shooting some Prvi Partizan 7.62x54R 182 gr Match ammo at the range today. Had to get those nasty jacketed bullets out of those nice cases don't you know. The 12" gong at 200 yards was getting a workout. I love it when old battle rifles deliver nice accuracy.

John

psl sniper
10-15-2013, 02:42 PM
how much does x54r brass usually go for? i found some at the local range. but i mostly shoot surplus and steel cased, out of my rifles.

Artful
10-18-2013, 01:05 AM
$46 per 100 at the link provided
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12651

Sweeper
10-20-2013, 01:57 PM
www.sgammo.com has 150gr. Soft point brass case ammo for $14.95/20 in 7.62X54R....

I've been picking the same ammo up locally for $17.99/20, IMO, just the brass is worth that price, and the jacketed ammo is pretty accurate for being mass produced Mosin fodder. Still, my homerolled boolits fare better up to about 500 yards :)

rupe01
10-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I am not sure if you watch YouTube at all, but Logcabinlooms on there has been using Lapua brass and consistently gets over 110 reloads per case from them! They may be expensive, but that kind of value is hard to beat. He says he has used the Privi too but gets far less with them. I just invested in 100 Lapua from Midway based on that report. He doesnt BS at all, so i should be set for a while now.

wallenba
10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Sometimes with 7.62x54r, it can be cheaper to buy loaded ammo than virgin brass. PRVI 20 round boxes of 150 SP @ around $16 at Midway, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773893/prvi-partizan-ammunition-762x54mm-rimmed-russian-762x53mm-rimmed-150-grain-soft-point-box-of-20
Five boxes of those will cost only $82.45, are reloadable and decent quality.
Lapua is top of the line stuff, you will love it. But you better baby that stuff to get the most value out of it.

Maven
10-22-2013, 12:42 PM
"Sometimes with 7.62x54r, it can be cheaper to buy loaded ammo than virgin brass. PRVI 20 round boxes of 150 SP @ around $16 at Midway, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/773...oint-box-of-20" ...wallenba

PRVI aka Privi Partizan aka Hanson is of excellent quality at least as far as 7.62 x 54R is concerned. I'm still using the brass from 100 loaded rounds I got back in the early '90's for Finn. Nagant.

unclogum bill
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
I am not sure if you watch YouTube at all, but Logcabinlooms on there has been using Lapua brass and consistently gets over 110 reloads per case from them! They may be expensive, but that kind of value is hard to beat. He says he has used the Privi too but gets far less with them. I just invested in 100 Lapua from Midway based on that report. He doesnt BS at all, so i should be set for a while now.
Thank you , thank you , thank you. I was beginning to think I had made a poor choice buying Lapua dollar wise. But at that time it was all I could find. There is comfort in knowing one is no longer dependent on government whims to keep ones rifle going.

mongoosesnipe
10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
lapua brass is just about as good as rifle brass can get if you keep your loads reasonable you can expect 20+ reloads per case, if you keep your necks annealed probably more. In 6.5 grendel fired through an AR15 at 50k psi loads guys get 20 plus reloads out of cases without any annealing we cull them out when the head stamp can no longer be read on the bottom of the case or when the head gets too tore up from the auto extraction there is probably plenty of life left in the brass you will not be disappointed even at $109/100

rupe01
10-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank you , thank you , thank you. I was beginning to think I had made a poor choice buying Lapua dollar wise. But at that time it was all I could find. There is comfort in knowing one is no longer dependent on government whims to keep ones rifle going.

Here is Logcabinlooms' video. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. He gets between 80 and 120 reloads per case with his Lapua!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywg2WQ3Pfbo

He is a very interesting guy and really lives the life "off the grid".

unclogum bill
10-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Here is Logcabinlooms' video. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. He gets between 80 and 120 reloads per case with his Lapua!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywg2WQ3Pfbo

He is a very interesting guy and really lives the life "off the grid".
Thanks for the video, I feel like I'm set for life now. I actually have 2 of these rifles , Two shooters or one for parts if needed. Will have lots of cheap shooting coming my way now that I have all the pieces. and the one I have been shooting hits on and fits me proper:-P

rupe01
10-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Yep, you're welcome! Haha! I know what you mean.........i started with one and now i have four! I swear they breed! Lol! At least, i have my wife convinced of that!

fortrenokid
10-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Howdy Pard

Congrats on locating not just good 7.62X54R brass but great brass ... take a bow, Lapua brass. Now ... unless you are firing that old smokepole constantly, 100 pieces of brass, particularly great brass, should last you a long time ... not an unlikely scenario that it will outlast you and go on to further service with the next custodian of the rifle (none of us really own a shootin' iron; we simply make use of it and care for it until it's ready to go on to the next custodian).

I own (custodialize?) a very old Mosin Nagant and continue to be astounded by its accuracy. A number of our rifle club members custodialize Mosins and , again, get great results. The rifles, alas, are not too swift when it comes to rapid-fire stages and reloading w/stripper clips but it surely is entertaining to watch the shooters go thru the motions.

I mainly shoot cast bullets in mine. I have had great results with the Lee 90385 (C312-155-2R). I cast 'em of linotype or water-quenched wheel weights, put 'em thru the Lee .314 sizer, gas check 'em, and tumble in liquid alox bullet lube. The same bullet shoots well in my SMLE No.1 Mark III and my SKS in 7.62X39. Gave some to a buddy with a Jap 7.7 and he got very favorable results. On a whim I bot some Sierra MatchKing .311 174gr HPBT and should not have been surprised at how well they shot. But the cast bullets are my preference.

Good luck and good shootin'! Bet you'll have lots of fun with that smoke pole!

madsenshooter
01-31-2015, 03:43 PM
I think brass is tough to find because so many shoot surplus ammo. The Lapua is some really good stuff. I should have bought more when a large amount arrived last year for real cheap, but nobody really knew much about the vendor. I hedged my bets and only ordered a hundred. Privi factory ammo has been my main source, but that feels like an expensive way to get brass when you are set up to load a caliber. The Lapua brass has been dedicated to my M28-76 since it is actually a 7.62x53r chamber like that brass is head stamped.

I jumped on that distributor sale too! I only have one Mosin to feed, and still haven't found the .317" size/lube die I need but the brass is real pretty sitting in that box.

Geezer in NH
01-31-2015, 07:48 PM
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12578

Tackleberry41
02-01-2015, 11:12 AM
My bag of 100 Prvi Partisan showed up yesterday from Grafs, $47. Midway only had Hornady and Lapua in 54r. I am sure Lapua is good but their pretty much insane on their pricing, especially for something like a Mosin, bag of brass is what I paid for the rifle. It was odd that 20 hornady cases were the same price as if I just went and bought a box of S&B reloadable ammo. I have been buying boxes of loaded reloadable stuff, just havent shot it off yet. I can buy brass, just set the boxed stuff aside for later use.

I have yet to see once fired 54r brass anywhere, going to say most who do buy that ammo arent going to leave it for others to pick up.

rsrocket1
02-01-2015, 08:26 PM
The Privi Partisan brass works great in my 91/30. I got 100 for $50 and some change at Powder Valley, but the Graf's price is better.
129269129270 << at 50 yards with iron sights, I can't see much farther than that :-(

skeet1
02-02-2015, 11:20 PM
unclogum bill (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?32158-unclogum-bill)
What WILCO said about neck sizing is good advice. I use a modified Lee Collet Die originally in .303 British and it has worked very well and the brass just keeps on going. If you just back off your full lengh sizing die it will help a lot.

Ken

Ohio3Wheels
06-15-2015, 04:09 PM
One of my local suppliers (SW Ohio) had Privi 54R at $32 per 50 at the gun show this weekend. He had quite a bit of it.

Try www.etbrass.com . He generally has a lot of military brass on hand.

Curt