PDA

View Full Version : Hercules 1987 Data for Handgun

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Earlier today I uploaded the data from Alliant's 2004 manual. If you compare the two, there have been changes. Some significant ones I noticed in 9mm data. As always, YOU are responsible. I'm just presenting this data for historical reference.83229

35remington
10-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Some of the most unusual, confusing and misleading data to be found was in the old Hercules manuals.

For example, in 45 ACP, none of the loads listed for the 230 grain lead bullet or 230 FMJ would actually attain the stated velocity in a cartridge that would be actually loaded....most were quite a bit slower. For example, 5 grains of Bullseye gets a lot closer to 805 fps than 905 fps with a 230 FMJ. There is absolutely no way 4 grains of Bullseye will get 810 fps with a lead 230 loaded to correct OAL.....more like 100 fps slower than that, almost.

The "min cartridge OAL" was by no means a guideline because if that length was approached the rounds would be way, way too short. I suppose if the cartridges were actually loaded to the rather ridiculous "min OAL" they would get those speeds, but nobody would do that. Correct OAL for 2 ogive ball or a lead bullet approximating the same weight was and is more like 1.265."

And some of the loads listed for, say, Unique with the 38 Special were a bit above Plus P levels today using the 158 grain RN....but list a non Plus P pressure.

Hmm. Don't use 5.5 of Unique with a 158 RN and expect you're not Plus P....and don't believe the 45 ACP data.

Data that goes both "optimistic" for actual attained velocity and on the low side for actual obtained pressure, both at the same time, is why I comment that the data is "unusual." Because it was and is.

It was confusing when I viewed it in 1987, and it still is confusing today.