PDA

View Full Version : Casting pots for initial ingot making

AlaskanGuy
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I need to figure something else out. I usually take my scrap range lead and such, throw it into a cast iron frying pan that i have been using for years and pour into ingot molds to store my alloys.... Just like most folks....

Well, as old age sets in, arthritis and such is making it more and more difficult to actually control the pan while pouring the lead when it is full... The weight of the cast iron, combined with heavy gloves and the weight of the lead are making it harder and harder for me to maintain the grip needed to control the pour .... Sucks getting older...

Anyway.. I thought about welding a pair of handles kinda in an upside down Y shape to the handle from rebar, giving me a 2 handed grip on the pot, but i think that the cast iron will crack.... But this would work the best for me i think...

I live remote, so no matter what i do, it will need to be done with what i have on hand.... No true value around the corner.... Any suggestions??83214

Zymurgy50
10-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Braze a couple of eyelets on the inside upper edge, one at the handle and one opposite. then take a piece of bar stock and fashion a "bail" handle. one hand to lift and the other to control the pour

novalty
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Could always switch to a dutch oven and ladle it into your ingot molds. You would be able to smelt larger batches of lead that way, instead of working with a small 10 or 20lb bottom pour.

I use a 12" dutch oven from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html) on a propane fryer I got from Cabelas.

I use a large ladle made by RayinNH, which holds about 4lbs of molten lead. I melt down about 60lbs of wheel weights in a batch, which fill the dutch oven about 2/3's full.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/novalty1970/Reloading/Casting/IMG_6649_zps0ff9f383.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/novalty1970/media/Reloading/Casting/IMG_6649_zps0ff9f383.jpg.html)

My father-in-law that introduced me to casting, used to clean his lead and cast out of a Lee 10lb pot--which took forever. After he helped me do my first smelt of 100lbs he was ready to change. He took my setup back to his garage and melted down 300-400 lbs in one day with my brother-in-law.

AlaskanGuy
10-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Yea, i dont have a torch so brazing is out... But the duch oven would be ok if i could find a ladle like the one novalty has.. I will check into that.... I wonder if a stainless ladle would also work? I have several stainless ones like those used in commercial kitchen just sitting around that would be the right size i think..... Stainless would be cool if it would work ok...?

novalty
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
A stainless ladle should work fine. Just be sure to keep an eye on where the handle attaches, as that will wear out over time--and you don't want a ladle full of molten lead dropping off the handle. I know RayinNH isn't a vendor sponsor here anymore, but you might still be able to get ahold of him to get a ladle like the one I got from him. You could always buy a Rowell too.

You can usually get a the dutch oven from Harbor Freight for about $31 shipped. Just "Google" a coupon code for Harbor Freight before purchasing.

bangerjim
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
I use a SST ladle just like that only a different brand. It is relative thin and heats up VERY fast when in the soup. Holds 4# of lead......easy to handle and fills my RCBS and Lee ingot molds nicely in one scoop.

I dip from several CI pots, from a 10# to a 75#, both heated up over an antique plumber's furnace....sounds like the after burner on an f-15! But is really heats fast.

Try the Dutch over and ladle thing.....easier on the 'ol body!

bangerjim

Smoke4320
10-01-2013, 05:10 PM
on the stainless ladle where the handle is attached to the bowl .. drill and install a bolt, washer and double nut .. all done and handle will not come off while using

Dan Cash
10-01-2013, 07:13 PM
For a temporary fix, clamp a pair of Vice-grips to the pan oposite the handle. It will give you full control of the pan.

AlaskanGuy
10-01-2013, 10:02 PM
Yea, dang it sucks getting old and watching the arthritis steal you iron grip....

novalty
10-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Yea, dang it sucks getting old and watching the arthritis steal you iron grip....

I know how you feel. I'm 32, was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoic Arthritis at age 7. Used to be able to spin the dial on the grip pressure gauge at Rheumatologist, now I struggle to get it over half.

500MAG
10-01-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm looking into one of those Rowell ladles too. They look like they will be very helpful.

AlaskanGuy
10-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Lookie what i found at a junk store..... Very cool, and an answer to my prayers..... I found it durring a recent "powder quest" to the mainland alaska.... Neato...

bangerjim
10-05-2013, 01:56 PM
That is an ole plumber's lead ladle. I have a couple of them and they will work. The straight handle makes is difficult to fill the thing from a smaller or shallow pot, especially when the level is getting down there.

bangerjim