PDA

View Full Version : New mold.

45-70 Chevroner
10-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I ordered a Lee 105gr 6 Cavity 38 mold from Midway early in September and I got it on the 28th. They said it was back ordered until sometime this month, so it was a nice surprise. I can hardly wait to heat it up. I have been using the 148 gr WC and the Keith 158 gr SWC for so long that I did not think there was any thing else I should be using. I have read a lot of good stuff on here about the 105 gr Lee that I just could not resist. It looks like it's going to be a couple of weeks though before I can get around to casting some up for testing. I have a new 4th edition Lyman cast bullet manual and it is nice to see that Lyman is showing other Companys boolits, and the 105 has a number of loads listed for the 38 Special and the 357. This boolit will also save about 1/3 of my normal lead consumption. Are there any pet loads that any of you have that you would suggest?

shoot-n-lead
10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I have the Lee 125gr gang mold and it is a blast to use...good bullets pile up quickly.

I bought it to cast for practice round for my 642, but I have actually stumbled across a load for the .357 that is very effective and fun to shoot.

Old Caster
10-15-2013, 09:53 PM
I use the 105's with 2.9 grains of 231 in a 38 special. It is fairly mild but not mild enough to have variations in velocity. Anything less and I do have different amounts of recoil and noise telling me it isn't burning right. I didn't expect much accuracy but was surprised that they are fairly good. I only use them for steel plate matches and didn't care how well they shot but used them one day in a timed fire 20 seconds for 5 rounds Bullseye match and shot a 97. It made me think that maybe I should get the Ransom Rest out and see what they might do with different powder charges at 50 yards. Presently RCBS 150's are my choice for that but if I can get away with 2/3 the amount of lead and do the same thing that sounds great especially considering one is a 2 cavity and the other is a 6.

MtGun44
10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
This was my first mold ever, in about 1975 or 76. I bought it and used it for 9mm. Still a great design.

Bill

guncheese
10-17-2013, 07:47 AM
i think im going to have to build a 9mm 2011
just so i can use that boolit on a good platform!