PDA

View Full Version : Who makes good cast bullets with good lube?

dj454
09-30-2013, 11:32 PM
If any of you have seen my other post about my leading issue it has led to more questions. From what I gather most cast bullet manufacturers use a hard waxy lube that works good to stay in the groove for shipping but isn't ideal for lubing. My leading issue was solved by pushing my bullets faster which some other forum members suspected the commercial lube. I am going to experiment with some LLA and boil some bullets to remove the current lube and make some pan lube and see how well that works for me.

My question is are there any cast bullet manufacturers that have a good lube for shooting slower speeds. I don't have any problems with my .38's I buy from a local bullet maker but he doesn't make any .40 bullets. I have some Z cast ordered. I only ordered 500 just to see how they work for me. I have heard good things about Dardas but I don't know if they will work well at slower speeds in the .40. I would like to find a bullet manufacturer that has a good lube already but if not I will just either use the LLA or pan lube them. I know the LLA is the easiest solution but I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the mess. It would be nice if I could find a .40 lead bullet that would work without the extra work but if not I'll do what I have to do. Thanks for the help.

btroj
10-01-2013, 07:07 AM
Learn to make your own? That is what the overwhelming majority of us do. It lets you control size, hardness, lube, design, and anything else you can think of.

Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings
10-01-2013, 09:24 AM
If any of you have seen my other post about my leading issue it has led to more questions. From what I gather most cast bullet manufacturers use a hard waxy lube that works good to stay in the groove for shipping but isn't ideal for lubing. My leading issue was solved by pushing my bullets faster which some other forum members suspected the commercial lube. I am going to experiment with some LLA and boil some bullets to remove the current lube and make some pan lube and see how well that works for me.

My question is are there any cast bullet manufacturers that have a good lube for shooting slower speeds. I don't have any problems with my .38's I buy from a local bullet maker but he doesn't make any .40 bullets. I have some Z cast ordered. I only ordered 500 just to see how they work for me. I have heard good things about Dardas but I don't know if they will work well at slower speeds in the .40. I would like to find a bullet manufacturer that has a good lube already but if not I will just either use the LLA or pan lube them. I know the LLA is the easiest solution but I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the mess. It would be nice if I could find a .40 lead bullet that would work without the extra work but if not I'll do what I have to do. Thanks for the help.

Shameless Plug:
If you do not want to fool with making your own give me a call, these will work well at any velocity you choose.
www.bayoubullets.net
225 324 4501
Donnie

jmort
10-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Try one of our vendor/sponsors like Bayou Bullets or Carolina Cast.

bangerjim
10-01-2013, 11:15 AM
B4 i started "rolling my own" boolits (LOTS of FUN!) I bought from Missouri Bullets with good success.

bangerjim

dj454
10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
I eventually want to cast my own but it will be awhile before I can. It is an expensive investment I can't afford right now. I have used Missouri but I had a lot of inconsistent bullets with them. I live in NC and I have heard of Carolina bullets but I haven't heard any feedback. I will look into them. I have heard of Bayou bullets also. I will look at each and see what will work for me.

gwpercle
10-01-2013, 03:53 PM
You have heard the old adage...." if you want something done right you got to do it yourself" ?
This was exactly the reason I started casting my own. The only way to get the design of boolit, desired alloy/hardness, sized and lubed the way I wanted ways to do it myself...only way I know of to get what you want.
As far as expense, Lee has made it quite affordable, moulds, melters and sizers that will not break the bank.
Try it you just might find it a lot of fun.
Gary

PbHurler
10-01-2013, 06:21 PM
/\ good post above/\ True words.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-01-2013, 06:31 PM
one of our members leadman sells boolits
this is a link to his add on specialty pistol
http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9156077864/m/3180088366

Grump
10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Wish I could help.

Have had generally good results with the Oregon Trail/Laser-Cast super-hard ones, but IIRC it was the .40 S&W stuff that was kinda bleh and leaded just a bit too much for me. Asked them if they would ship unsized, unlubed and they said no. My Dad left me a box of their .380 bullets, so I'll have to see how they do...

Problems with shipped lubed bullets, and trying to store sized lubed bullets, have put me into the mode of store 'em bare, and size 'em the same month you're gonna load 'em. When I get sick of casting my own, or just don't have time any more, I'll try to buy unsized, unlubed from one of our Site Vendors here. I have a suspicion that most, if not all, of them would be much more accommodating, and maybe even give some small discount. Hint, hint...

leeggen
10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Watch that casting your own it is like drugs and alc. IT IS ADICTIVE!!
good luck
CD

GLL
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
If you do not want to cast your own buy them unlubed.
Lube and size them yourself !

Jerry

mold maker
10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Of course you could just cut the LEE mule snot 50/50 with Mineral spirits and lube right over what you have. It will dry and should solve the lower volocity problem. It's cheap and doesn't take much work to try it.

stinjie
10-01-2013, 08:37 PM
For what it costs for 1000 cast boolits + shipping,you could get a Lee mold and a melter, or maybe a flea-market propane stove and pot.And don't forget about all the fun you're gonna have gathering lead.It's a "good"addiction!

dj454
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm sure I will eventually get into casting. I have a friend/coworker that casts and I have been picking his brain. He has all the equipment and has offered to teach me the tricks of the trade. He mainly casts in the winter because it is hot work and I am going to go help him one weekend to pick up on some of his tricks. I was all set to buy the Lee molds and he talked me out of it. He hates the Lee molds and he really hates LLA. Some things I take with a grain of salt but he has been casting for over 20 years so he has his way of doing it. So when I priced a lubrisizer and a couple of different molds the cost got too high so I held off. The next problem I ran into was sourcing lead. He had collected lead for years in the form of wheel weights. He is set probably for life with what he has but he isn't sharing it either not that I blame him. Nobody is giving wheel weights away anymore. He collected his over the years when tire stores would give you buckets of them. Plus now a lot of wheel weights are not made of lead anymore. I looked into buying lead and when I did the math I would have about .05 cents per bullet just in lead costs alone. I have been buying cast bullets all ready to load for .06-.07 cents per bullet. I know the lube hasn't been the best but I don't have a lot of time invested in them either. I hope to find somebody maybe selling all of their stuff and get into it if I can find a cheap source of lead if not it won't be worth it.

dj454
10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Well it looks like I am going to start casting my own bullets. I have found a source of lead to get me started. I should be getting some molds soon. I made my first ingots today. I also ordered the Bayou bullet coating Friday. I will coat the store boughts I have now and then use the coating on my own once I am satisfied I have my mix right. I will keep researching the forum since there is a ton o good info on here so hopefully the learning curve won't be so painful.

Ausglock
10-12-2013, 04:44 PM
If you want to buy cast bullets with the best coating to prevent leading, go with Bayou bullets or Gateway Bullets.
They use the HI-TEK Supercoat on their bullets.
Or if you want to cast your own, you can buy the coating and do it yourself.

runfiverun
10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
good deal on the lead source.
foster and take care of it and when you think you have enough lead,,, double that.