View Full Version : Got sighted in today

FergusonTO35
09-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Kentucky's deer rifle season and rabbit season open in November and I'm making preparations. We had a nice mild afternoon so I went to the Mercer County Fish and Game Club to get my trusty .30-30 and .22 rifles sighted in, a Marlin Glenfield 30 and Henry H001T. The Marlin wears a Swift 1.5-4.5X20 scope, the Henry has a Williams receiver sight. My .30-30 ammo was a pet hand load of a 150 grain Sierra j-slug and 31 grains of Hodgdon Varget. My .22 ammo was cheapo Federal Lightning 40 grain.

Both rifles are apparently eager for the hunt. The Marlin was printing 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards easily, the last group of the day was 3/4". This particular Marlin is a department store grade example from the 1960's I found cheap in a pawn shop. In spite of its humble pedigree this rifle has always been very accurate. With a nice squishy Limbsaver recoil pad the stock fits me perfectly. The Henry has a full octagonal barrel that is actually a little thicker than that of the Marlin. At 50 yards I was getting 1.5" groups, probably do even better with good ammo.

The annual sight in session heralds the beginning of a new fall and winter hunting season and I look forward to it. Usually my best friend comes along but he had to work, we will get him sighted in soon.

Browningshooter
09-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Good luck this season brother! I love hunting with lever guns, marlin and winchesters myself.