PDA

View Full Version : Mo vs IN, smooth bore shoot out

Boerrancher
09-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Had a rendezvous and shooting match down in Southeast Mo this weekend. I invited Dirt Farmer down for the event and we both packed our smooth bore trade guns for the event. I was glad to have him to shoot against even if he did beat me by one point. It quits being fun beating most of the rifle shooters at the matches. One rifle shooters managed to get ahead of Dirt Farmer and I to take first. Nothing like a couple of old farm boys with smooth bores showing folks how to shoot.

I honestly did not expect to come as close as I did to him in scoring. At one point I was actually ahead of him and we stayed tied for a long time. I blew my last shot by rushing it. All in all I had a great time camping and shooting with Dirt Farmer. He also makes a mean camp fire desert if you are diabetic it will put you in a coma and if you are not diabetic after desert you will be. Great food, great company, and some fine shooting, what more could a fella want.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
09-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Joe, don't give it away, I won't be able to win anymore of them coins in the quater matches. It was a good time and those MO folks sure do treat a stranger good. More food than I could eat and good company to boot. It was a real joy to see that many women and children in camp to.
Thanks to for getting a hard headed knot head started breaking flint into usable shapes.
Those of you who have a local get togather, look into going. This camp was well worth a 4+ hour drive.

waksupi
09-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Sounds like you both had a good time. I used to go to Brunswick for Larry Twyman's fall rendezvous, and to Len Carver's, back about 40 years ago. Lots of good moonshine around back in those days!

DIRT Farmer
10-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Ken I think in the "good old days" most of us spent more time around the camp fire and I did truly enjoy it but I think my shooting suffered. Now I use proformance inhancing drugs like anti inflamatorys and pain releavers so the joints work better.
It is a shame so many people don't take more advantage of these events.

Anonym
10-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a great time! I get over to Friendship for a weekend or two during their national shoots, but haven't ventured into anything else yet. Limited budget and young family keep me from doing much, but I plan on starting to shoot a match or two once in a while soon! It is a shame to not see that many people out enjoying this sport. It is one of the few left that actually test a person's skill and not necessarily their buying power.

Any way to find out when local events are happening? NMLRA does a decent job and I need to join. Probably will once this shoulder gets out of the sling...

Good shooting fellas!

waksupi
10-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Any way to find out when local events are happening? NMLRA does a decent job and I need to join. Probably will once this shoulder gets out of the sling...

Good shooting fellas!
http://www.smoke-fire.com/smoke-fire-newspaper.asp

DIRT Farmer
10-02-2013, 10:18 PM
You can also keep up at nmlra.org.

There is a lot of shoots and get togathers on smoke and fire.

Anonym
10-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Going to check out the upcoming events and see what I can get to once I get this arm out of this sling. Thanks guys! Good luck at the Turkey Shoot Dirt Farmer.

Boerrancher
10-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Well I passed on an original Hatfield Flintlock for $500 today. I tried to work a trade but the guy wanted cash. I have the money, but depending on how long the shutdown is I may or may not get paid next month. The house has been trying to fund the military and VA but the Senate keeps saying no. It would stink to have to buy it and then have to turn around and sell it. Did get a like new set of Dire Moccasins for 35 bucks though.

Best wishes

Joe

DIRT Farmer
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Joe sounds like the deal was simular on both the rifle and the moc's
The funding sucks but at this time it appears my son is still essentual and will be recieving pay.

Boerrancher
10-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Well Allen, no one in my area is going to pay $500 for any side lock, much less a flinter. I will see how things go and maybe pick it up next month. I have several mil surps I need to get rid of and now is the time of year to do it.

Joe

DIRT Farmer
10-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I gave up on thining the herd, I will let the boys do it when I'm gone. Dad left me with some headaches, I might as well leave a few to.
Alan