PDA

View Full Version : Did my pencil hardness test today . Thanks guys

capt.hollis
09-30-2013, 08:25 PM
After figuring out on how to do this thanks to you guys, I think I've figured out the hardness of the lead I've been pouring bullets out of. I came up with the "B" pencil that did not scratch the lead. According to the chart that's a 13 BHN. My mixture has been wheel weights, and 2% tin so does that sound fairly close to you guys?
Thanks again, and I hope I'm right

capt.hollis
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
One more thing. I've been using 95/5 sodder for my tin source. That's 95% tin, 5% Antimony.

bangerjim
09-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Sounds good. Hardness is not an accurate "has-to-be" value. As long as you know approx where you are, you are doing good. From my playing around with pencils I bought for a buddy and comparing them with my Cabine readings, they are relative close, not real fast, but pretty reliable!

Good luck and glad your boolits were about where you thought they were.

bangerjim

capt.hollis
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Sounds good. Hardness is not an accurate "has-to-be" value. As long as you know approx where you are, you are doing good. From my playing around with pencils I bought for a buddy and comparing them with my Cabine readings, they are relative close, not real fast, but pretty reliable!

Good luck and glad your boolits were about where you thought they were.

bangerjimBanger, you were lots of help sir. Appreciate ya.
Thanks man

JWFilips
09-30-2013, 08:50 PM
+1 with what bangerjim said: close is all you need it isn't rocket science especially if casting pistol boolits.
When I can run pencils on all my known test leads and see no surprises then I feel pretty confident that I will be close to what I see for my "boolit alloys" ( sometimes simplicity perplexes folks....& I know because at first I was an unbeliever until I ran my controlled tests)
Close enough for government work... and far closer then the current "Government work :shock:"