PDA

View Full Version : Metis Bannock

Reverend Al
09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
My wife Laurie is Metis (raised in Selkirk, Manitoba) and so I've researched traditional Metis recipes and I have several favorites included in my home-made cookbook. Bannock was a simple, home-made bread and it was a staple of the Metis settlers that worked for the HBC, hunted Buffalo, or farmed along the Red River. This is my slightly modernized and adapted version of their favorite bread. Try it sometime ... you'll like it!

Best Métis Bannock

Preheat your oven to 375 or 400 degrees (ovens vary), and while you're waiting assemble the following ingredients.

Dry ingredients

2 1/2 cups of white flour (or optionally 1 cup of Whole Wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups of white flour)

6 tsp of baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tbsp sugar

1/3 cup of any suitable shortening (lard, bacon fat, butter, margarine, etc.)

Wet ingredients

2 large eggs

1 cup of sweet milk

Combine first four dry ingredients and mix very well. Add whichever shortening you'll be using to the dry mix and use a pastry blender to blend until the mix forms fine well mixed crumbs. Combine the 2 eggs with the milk and mix well (I do it right in the measuring cup), then add to the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula to form a soft dough, and kneed as little as possible after placing the dough on a hard surface dusted with bench flour. Add a bit more bench flour if needed to form a soft or "satin" looking and feeling dough that is no longer sticky to the touch. Form the dough into a rough square or rectangular loaf and place on a baking sheet or in a suitable size baking pan. Parchment paper placed underneath the loaf will help to prevent scorching on the bottom. Using a fork, prick holes onto the entire top of the loaf. Bake on an upper rack, well off the oven element, for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

Best Metis Cinnamon Rolls

To make Cinnamon Rolls, use the same dough recipe as above, but add an extra two tbsp of sugar to the dry mix. Roll out the finished dough to about 1/4" thick to form a large rectangle. Dust the surface with cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins or currents. (I sometimes add Nutmeg as well.) Drizzle a bit of corn syrup or honey back and forth across the top of the dough, and then roll up the dough, sealing the end "flaps" shut. Using a sharp knife, cut slices about 1 ½” to 2” thick from the rolled up dough and place them onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet or in a baking pan. Again, baking for 20 to 25 minutes at 375 to 400 degrees yields a batch of tasty home made cake style cinnamon buns.

Note: When I use currants with this recipe, I soak them in warm water to swell them up, then add the flavoured drained water to the milk/egg mix for a bit of extra flavour in the dough. I also add a Tablespoon of vanilla for extra flavour. Just keep adding bench flour to the wet mix until the dough is no longer sticky and has a "satin" look and feel to it before you roll it out and add the inside ingredients.

Best Metis Double Chocolate Rolls

To make Double Chocolate Rolls, add 4 heaping Tablespoons of Fry’s Cocoa powder to the dry mixture, roll out as normal, drizzle with corn syrup or honey, and substitute a layer of chocolate chips instead of the cinnamon and raisins

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight001Large_zps525f6b2d. jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight001Large_zps525f6b2d. jpg.html)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight002Large_zpsd8ed1871. jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight002Large_zpsd8ed1871. jpg.html)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight003Large_zps46ca4277. jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BannockforMetisPotlucktonight003Large_zps46ca4277. jpg.html)

waksupi
09-30-2013, 08:30 PM
You missed using the bannock recipe for fry bread!

Keep 'em coming.

Reverend Al
09-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Oh ... you mean these ones?

:bigsmyl2:

Traditional Native Indian Fry Bread

Ingredients:

4 cups of flour
1 tbs. baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tbs. powdered milk
1 ½ cups warm water
1 cup shortening
Extra flour to flour your hands

Directions:

Put flour in bowl, add baking powder, salt and powdered milk. Mix together.

Mix in the warm water to form dough.

Cover hands in flour.

Knead dough by hand until soft but not sticky. Cover with a cloth and let stand for 15 minutes.

Shape dough into balls about 2 inches across then flatten by patting and stretching the dough.

Melt shortening about an inch deep in frying pan. When hot put dough in pan. Fry one side till golden brown, then turn and fry the other side.

This is a wonderful bread that can be used as a dessert by topping with honey, powdered sugar, etc. or it can be used for main dishes such as topping with taco ingredients for an "Indian Taco".

Indian Tacos

Ingredients

For the Fry bread:

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
½ cup water
Additional ¼ cup flour for shaping
2 cups oil for frying

For the Indian Tacos:

4 cooked fry breads
Cooked ground beef
taco seasoning
shredded cheese
lettuce, tomato, onion

Instructions

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Combine milk and water in a separate cup.

Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir with a fork to mix well. You will have a soft dough.

Flour your countertop well with the remaining ¼ cup flour and coat your hands, too.

Shape the dough into a cylinder and cut into 4 pieces.

Pat each piece out into a circle about ⅓” thick (1 cm) and 6″ across.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F and fry breads one at a time, for about 2 minutes on each side. Drain upright.

Serve topped with cooked ground beef, cheese, and vegetables of your choice.

A lot of the original Metis settlers were from Northern England most notably from various parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland ... but mostly Scotland. This is the more traditional Scottish Oatmeal Bannock ...

Traditional Scottish Recipe for Oatcakes / Bannocks

Oatcakes are a very traditional part of the Scottish diet. They were cooked on a griddle (a flat iron pot placed over the fire) but nowadays a heavy frying pan is used.

Ingredients

4 oz (125g) medium oatmeal
2 teaspoons melted fat (bacon fat, if available)
2 pinches of bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 tablespoons hot water
Additional oatmeal for kneading

Method

Mix the oatmeal, salt and bicarbonate and pour in the melted fat into the centre of the mixture. Stir well, using a porridge stick if you have one and add enough water to make into a stiff paste. Cover a surface in oatmeal and turn the mixture onto this. Work quickly as the paste is difficult to work if it cools. Divide into two and roll one half into a ball and knead with hands covered in oatmeal to stop it sticking. Roll out to around quarter inch thick. Put a plate which is slightly smaller than the size of your pan over the flattened mixture and cut round to leave a circular oatcake. Cut into quarters (also called farls) and place in a heated pan which has been lightly greased. Cook for about 3 minutes until the edges curl slightly, turn, and cook the other side. Get ready with another oatcake while the first is being cooked.

An alternative method of cooking is to bake them in an oven at Gas5/375F/190C for about 30 minutes or until brown at the edges. The quantities above will be enough for two bannocks about the size of a dessert plate. If you want more, do them in batches rather than making larger quantities of mixture. Store in a tin and reheat in a moderate oven when required.

waksupi
10-01-2013, 12:10 AM
All I need is some greasy curly fries, and I'd be set!