PDA

View Full Version : Sad morning

rockrat
09-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Had to put down one of my cats. He was getting old and with the recent cold spell, he could hardly get around. Think the cancer was finally getting him. 25 lbs last year and probably half that this year. I know he wouldn't survive the upcoming winter.

Came to me by way of someone dumping off a bunch of kittens, probably 10 weeks old, down at the end of our road. Heard a meowing in my garage, and thought. "great, another batch someone from town dropped off". Out comes this black fluffball, when I called. Had my pellet rifle ready, put it to his head, but just couldn't pull the trigger , so I adopted him. He was polydactyl (6 toes) and was what you would consider a typical cat. He would come to get attention and just drop on the ground and meow about 3 feet away, so I had to go to him, otherwise, he didn't want much attention. Liked to eat and get attention on his terms. He would sit on top of the boat and watch the world go by.

Gave him his pill this morning to kind of sedate him and fed him his favorite food this morning (people type tuna fish, not the cat food type), let him get sleepy and went to the vet. It was quick and I was petting him as he passed.

Funny, I hated cats when I was a kid, now I get choked up when I have to put one down.

He was a good cat. Got three left, one of them (another stray that stayed) is really going to miss him. Me too.

Blacksmith
09-30-2013, 04:08 PM
You'll meet again.

sundog
09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
He'll be there waitin' on ya.

JeffinNZ
09-30-2013, 05:14 PM
We had to let Griffin go back in April and it broke my heart. We rehomed two brothers who have turned out to be the most wonderful companions. One is like a dog the way he follows me around.

The hurt you feel is the price of unconditional love.

LUBEDUDE
09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Sorry Bud, know the feeling. Had to put my 12 yr old buddy down last yr. Diabetes got the best of him. Injections only lasted so long.

Folks don't realize that putting your cat down is just as hard as your dog.

brtelec
09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
I never cared for cats, but we got one for my daughter when she was young. The damn thing followed me around when ever I was home. Well of course it became my cat. So when he came down with feline leukemia and I had to put the poor guy down, I was actually surprised by how hard I took it. Nothing unusual about feeling bad when you lose friends. Sorry for your loss.

dragonrider
09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Sorry for your loss RR. You did exactly what you should have, it ain't easy. Had to put down my 23 year old cat in June. Won't have any more pets, it's just to hard.

jcwit
09-30-2013, 06:55 PM
So Sorry, they do become a member of the family and one of your own.

I've had to do the same a few times.

Garyshome
09-30-2013, 06:57 PM
I hate this thread! Too many lost friends are here.

Just remember the NSA is reading this at the same time you are!!!

km101
09-30-2013, 07:32 PM
It is never easy letting a friend go. I can understand how you feel, as I lost my pal of 21 years in July. My daughter got him as an 8 week old kitten. (we originally thought he was a she) When my daughter grew up and left home he became my cat. When he wanted attention it made no difference if you were reading, watching TV, or what ever. If you were sitting down, you got a lap full of cat. (24 pounds in his prime) His favorite place was on top of the TV and sometimes you had to watch your program around a tail hanging down into the screen. He was really frustrated when we got a flat-screen and he didn't have room to lay on the top!

I miss him, but he got sick enough that he couldn't keep food down and was wasting away. I had to take him to the vet. I cant even think about another pet yet, but maybe one day.

greenhornet-1
09-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I know how you feel. They are family members too.

theperfessor
09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I've cried like a baby over every pet we've lost. The older I get the more I like cats, have had as many as five but now we're down to three fur buddies, all rescues.

frankenfab
09-30-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, rockrat. One of my favorite cats of all time is getting on up there in years.

Pb2au
09-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Very sorry about your loss sir.
Our good friend is also our vet. I had to put down our oldest cat this year as well. While I was holding him when she gave him the injection, she told me something that has stuck with me.
"Doing this, is the last act of kindness you will do for your old friend."
It is not easy. It should be hard, it should hurt. Because you love em.

MaryB
09-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Sorry t hear of your furry friend. I have 2 cats and both are total opposites and I will miss them both when their turn is up.

smokeywolf
10-01-2013, 12:21 AM
rockrat, I'm sure sorry you lost one of the feline members of your family. I grew up with cats. We had one that was a mix of Persian and plain old alley cat; black as pitch. He had a very strong hunting instinct and would occasionally bring his trophies into the house in the middle of the night. My mother would wake up at 5:00 AM and head for the coffee maker. Half way down the dimly lit hallway she'd step on the remains of a bird, mouse or lizard.

During his last days my mother took him to the small town vet near us. The vet looked him over and immediately became very cold toward my mother. Apparently at first blush, he thought Klotz was a very neglected 13 year old. When he found out that Klotz was nearing 24 years old, he knew that he had been well loved and cared for and warmed up to my mother.

It's so very very hard to perform that last act of love. However, for me, the only thing more difficult is living without a four legged member of the family.

smokeywolf

bob208
10-01-2013, 09:30 AM
we can not get below about 10. right now we have a 14 year old and a 5month old the rest fill in between. people are always dropping them off. and we take them in. I call the vet and say it is becky's cat house and they know who it is.

Trey45
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Sorry about your cat. One of the hardest things I ever had to do was have my cat put to sleep a few years ago. While I was undergoing long term recuperation from several surgeries (4 years worth) he was my constant companion and I often wonder if I would have made it without him.

MaryB
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Yup tigger my 20 pound half Bengal half tabby has always been the one to cuddle up when I am recuperating from a surgery. Here he is saying quit typing and pet me

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/2012-11-02_00-44-24_636_zps5226bcde.jpg