PDA

View Full Version : Shortened Stock Ideas

Wildbillcody
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I have come into the possession of a Trapdoor that had been "sporterized" the butt cut off about 1 1/2", a rubber recoil pad was fitted and the whole back of the stock was oval-ed to match the pad. Since it is pretty much ruined and this is strictly a shooter gun (no historical value) I don't mind trying to "fix" the stock. now I could simply cut off the rear and fit a new piece of walnut, but that wouldn't look so nice. I'm also thinking of piecing it at the wrist where the difference would not be so noticeable. I would love to do a finger joint like on a Finn M39 stock, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on equipment to do it.

Just for fun I want to put a Pewter forend tip on it and I really like the look of the Sharps butt plate and patch box if I could find one.

So my questions are, any ideas on fixing the stock, and where can I find a butt plate and patch box, Re-pros preferred since they will be cheaper.

Or can I find a cut down original stock or Re-pro.
TIA WBC

Wildbillcody
10-02-2013, 04:06 PM
No ideas huh? I think I will just put a thicker pad back on it and keep on the look out for a original stock that is cut down.

Junior1942
10-02-2013, 05:45 PM
Your answer: Dixie Gun Works. They have a web site.

Wildbillcody
10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks, I looked there, nothing really what I was looking for..no Sharps stuff, that I could find anyway...

country gent
10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Try Gun parts corp for a used/replacement stock. A spacer could be made and fitted with a little work and looking a piece of wood with close grain might be found also.

Wildbillcody
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I tried them as well, thanks... I'm going to just put a limbsaver pad(yes I know not even close to original) on it and I already did the pewter forearm tip came out pretty good. The pad should be here today or tomorrow. I will post pics when I get it finished.

Wildbillcody
10-04-2013, 09:39 PM
One more thing I just thought of, since the trapdoor was a conversion to the original Springfield musket, if I found one of those stocks would that work?