PDA

View Full Version : i need some help

timmy61
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm new to the whole casting boolits thing, i was wondering if maybe y'all could answer my questions? i have the lee molds C309-113-F and C309-200-R i'm gonna use in the 30-06 and i did some in alox lube and some in the paraffin wax lube, i have unique,red dot, and blue dot on hand with WLR primers. does anyone have any suggestions to help me get started with these components?

Thanks in advance

Tim

gwpercle
09-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Timmy , the first thimg to do is get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Loads of information on bullet alloy , lubes, sizing , powders and powder charges. Very helpful read and you will use it often.
Suggestions depend on what you intend to do. Hunting loads are totaly different than target or tin can killing loads.
Unique and Red Dot are useful powders in cast boolit loads.
The 200 grain bullet and 13.0 grains Red Dot is considered "The Load" by C. E. Harris in the 30-06. He spoke highly of it in his published writings. Claimed it averaged 1450 fps and grouped into 2 inches with an iron sighted 1903-A3 springfield at 100 yards...which isn't bad for iron sights and surplus military rifle.
Gary

ukrifleman
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Timmy , the first thimg to do is get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Loads of information on bullet alloy , lubes, sizing , powders and powder charges. Very helpful read and you will use it often.
Suggestions depend on what you intend to do. Hunting loads are totaly different than target or tin can killing loads.
The 200 grain bullet and 13.0 grains Red Dot is considered "The Load" by C. E. Harris in the 30-06. He spoke highly of it in his published writings. Claimed it averaged 1450 fps and grouped into 2 inches with an iron sighted 1903-A3 springfield at 100 yards...which isn't bad for iron sights and surplus military rifle.
Gary

Are you new to casting or new to re-loading? Either way, the previous poster gave you sound advice, get at least one good re-loading manual and read it to get a basic grounding BEFORE actually loading ammo, if you know of any experienced re-loaders, get their help as well.
That way, you will produce good cast loads from the outset and have a much better chance of hanging on to eyes, fingers, (life?) etc!

No apologies for the s/ m****d comments, if you get it wrong through lack of experience/knowledge people could get hurt, and I don't mean just you!
ukrifleman.

timmy61
09-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Gary

thanks guys, i have a mossberg bolt action i'm gonna use for hunting, i seen in the lyman 49th edition it said 12.7 gr unique for the 200 gr cast boolit with WLR primer. is that true?

gwpercle
09-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes, 12.7 grains of Unique is the starting load for the 200 gr. #311299 bullet, at 1413 fps , with WLR primer, as listed in the Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition also. You have a safe published data load, listed in two manuals, so you are good to go.
Load safe and welcome to the forum.
Gary

pergoman
09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Timmy, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a completely different publication than the Lyman 49th edition you saw. The cast bullet book has tons of useful information that is intended for cast lead bullets only. The other one has a tiny bit of info for cast loads.

timmy61
09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Ok thanks , does it matter if it's a Lyman bullet or a lee bullet as long as it's a 200gr cast?

Randy C
09-30-2013, 08:57 PM
I think if they look the same and weigh the same go with it just stay away from max charges until you get some experience, most hot loads don't shoot a good group anyway.

timmy61
10-01-2013, 01:20 AM
can i use 115 gr load data for a 113 gr bullet? and has anyone heard of the loads that use like 3 gr of red dot?

gwpercle
10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Tim,
Don't go below the minimum listed load, for this bullet -30-06 with 113 gr. cast boolit
Red Dot - suggested starting load-11.0 grs.
maximun load...............15.0 grs.
Two reasons not to go below starting load. Bullet may stick in barrel...not enough pressure to drive it out. Next shot and there is a problem. Not enough pressure to expand brass case to seal, although not dangerous per say, not conductive to accuracy. I doubt 3 grains of Red Dot is going to work. Powders need a certain amout of pressure to burn completely and cleanly.
With some powders it is dangerous to go below a certian level. Weird things start to happen. Not enough powder is just as hazardous as too much powder in certian instances.

As far as bullet weight 115 gr. and 113 grain are the same if both are cast .

Stick with published data untill you get some experience, then you can start experimenting with loads.

Gary

timmy61
10-01-2013, 01:51 PM
ok thanks, i ordered a Lyman 4th edition today and ill have it this week, i was just wondering about the 3 gr load because i seen it online and i wasn't too sure about it. i'm pretty good with jacketed loads and shotgun shells but this is a whole new thing to me.

jonk
10-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Stay away from parrafin based lubes for now- that's my 2 cents. The Lee liquid alox is a fine lube to start.