PDA

View Full Version : Is Monotype Normally Thicker Than Linotype?

shotstring
10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Is there a rather quickish way to tell monotype from linotype without hardness testing? Is monotype pretty much always the larger thicker pieces or do they do monotype in all sizes? Have a chance to buy some lino or mono but don't really know what size pieces to ask for and I don't think the person selling it knows either. They have all different sizes and thicknesses.

Morgan Astorbilt
10-31-2007, 12:22 AM
Linotype is cast by the machine as a complete line of type. Monotype is cast by the machine one letter at a time, just like hand set type. They both come in different size type, as needed for the job being printed. I've got barrels of both, and mixed in with the type, is the metal, which has been ground up by the machine in preparation for remelting and casting the type. This is the consistancy of coffee grounds. Makes it much easier to weigh out when mixing up a particular alloy, such as Lyman No.2.

Morgan

454PB
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Here's a picture. The large pieces are monotype, the long thin ones are linotype.

[IMG]http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1578&d=1149353294[IMG]

jim4065
10-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Must be a fascinating machine, to be able to mold different fonts and sizes. I'd like to know how it works.

shotstring
11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your answers, but I should have clarified that what was available was all long bar stock. I would assume that anything over 1/2" in thickness would be monotype bars rather than linotype bars, but not having any idea how the machines or process worked, I didn't want to buy linotype when mono was available if I just knew what size to ask for.

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2007, 03:47 PM
if its cast into bars its going to be tough to tell witout a hardness tester.

crabo
11-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Is one better than the other? Does it matter which you get?

Scrounger
11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Is one better than the other? Does it matter which you get?

The only significant difference in them is that Mono type contains more antimony than Linotype and is therefore harder, harder to find, and more expensive.

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2007, 06:41 AM
the print shops ive talked to casted there own linotype pieces but usually bought the monotype ones allready casted to there specs. Most of them were decorative designs and block letters and numbers and they were used over and over and thats why they were casted harder. the linotype castings might have been used one time and remelted.
Must be a fascinating machine, to be able to mold different fonts and sizes. I'd like to know how it works.

Scrounger
11-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Monotype comes 1 letter at a time (mono), while linotype comes as a whole line of words/letters (line of type). Easy to remember that way. Now if we could just fit in Stereotype...

Bass Ackward
11-02-2007, 10:25 AM
The answer to your question is yes. There is a PIA way to tell the difference between lino and mono if you are sure that's what they are.

Put sample A in pot and mold a good quality bullet. Empty pot. Fill with mix B and mold a good bullet.

Weigh both bullets. The one that is slightly lighter and larger in diameter will be the monotype.

God I love my hardness tester!!

Scrounger
11-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Actually, a 'good ear' should be able to tell which alloy is harder by listening to the 'ring' when you drop a chunk on a concrete floor. The harder alloy should make a higher pitched noise.

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2007, 08:05 AM
used lineotype is pot luck. Ive got batches that were not as hard as new lineotype and ive gotten batches that were harder. Some print shops when they know there done with the monotype letter blocks just melt them in with there lineotype to richen it. Only real way to know for sure what you have is to take it to a lab and have it tested. You can also cast some bullets for comparison like was mentioned but to know exactly the composition youll need to have it tested.

nighthunter
11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I think some people are selling linotype at $1.00 a pound on Ebone that is really WW + a little tin. I fell for it once and what I got was deffinately not linotype. It was maybe a little harder than WW but not by much. Be careful of the source.
Nighthunter

Lloyd Smale
11-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Ive bougtht lineotype from printers that has tested as low as 18bhn and basicaly thats what new linotype and ww mixed 5050 will give yo so like nighhunter said it would sure be easy to cut good lineotype and sell it. Hell the drug dealers have been doing this for decades!

Morgan Astorbilt
11-03-2007, 05:29 PM
That's why I only buy it as it comes from the Linotype and Monotype printing plants, complete lines or pieces of type, and the ground "fines" that the machines make prior to remelting. I used to sell it this way, or in ingots, customers' choice. I have a commercial Monotype ingot mold that casts the word Monotype into the dozen 1/2lb. bars it makes, and customers felt more comfortable if the bar actually said Monotype. In actuality, the plants would use the metal until it started giving casting problems, and then rejuvenate it with a little tin to improve casting. Linotype is ideally, supposed to be 84-4-12 (Lead-tin- Antimony) but has also been given as 86-3-11., with a BHN of 22. Monotype is supposed to be 82-3-15, which makes it a bit harder. The bulk ingots in both types, are usually half-round in cross section, 2" wide by 1-3/4" thick, about 30" long, with rounded ends. If you find any shaped like this in a scrap dealer's yard, you can be pretty certain it's type metal of one kind or the other.
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
11-03-2007, 06:25 PM
WOW! Just found a Lyman bullet making guide( The ones that come with their molds) printed 4-99, that lists Monotype at 72-9-19 with a BHN of 28. Didn't think it was that hard, I thought it was about the same as hand type. It lists Lino at 86-3-11 BHN 22 which is what I thought it was.
Morgan

WineMan
11-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Just found three of the long "canoe" shaped ingots at a local scrap dealer. I got them for $0.90 per lb. The also have a "ring" cast at one end (for hanging?)

kirb
11-04-2007, 01:12 PM
So now I can tell the between linotype and monotype, and no that I have been mixing them when I put into ingots. Now I have learned to be more carefull. But what is the little thin spacer mixed in with the type metal it is between the letter rows in the print box bends real easy,

Kirb

Scrounger
11-04-2007, 01:45 PM
So now I can tell the between linotype and monotype, and no that I have been mixing them when I put into ingots. Now I have learned to be more carefull. But what is the little thin spacer mixed in with the type metal it is between the letter rows in the print box bends real easy,

Kirb

That too is lino, it is part of the pouring process.

Scrounger
11-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Just found three of the long "canoe" shaped ingots at a local scrap dealer. I got them for $0.90 per lb. The also have a "ring" cast at one end (for hanging?)

They are called "pigs". Print shops cast their unused lino this way. It hangs by that ring and is lowered into the melting pot as needed.

454PB
11-04-2007, 05:36 PM
The monotype in my picture hardness tests at 28 BHN.

FISH4BUGS
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM

I have 8 of those. They say STAR PARTS on the top of the ingot. They are about 25 lbs each. The looped end was for hanging in preparation for the melting pot. It is very interesting to see a linotype machine still in operation. They have one in the Shelburn Museum in Shelburn VT. It makes me drool to see the pile of linotype they have there. They won't sell it. I asked.

Misfire99
11-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Ive bougtht lineotype from printers that has tested as low as 18bhn and basicaly thats what new linotype and ww mixed 5050 will give yo so like nighhunter said it would sure be easy to cut good lineotype and sell it. Hell the drug dealers have been doing this for decades!

You mean my pharmacist has been adulterating my prescriptions??? Oh the Horror!!