PDA

View Full Version : Sight Adjustment (machine shop style)

Johnny_V
09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
I'll bet there are many of you that would like to move or change the rear sights on such pistols as the 1911, XD, Glock, etc., but can't justify the cost of the tools. My solution involves using the milling machine and its vise (obviously not for field use). Just follow the steps below....

1: Take a couple pieces of thin aluminum (I use shingle tins, as they are easy to cut), and trim them to the height of the vise jaws.

2: Mount the slide in the vise with the dovetail just clearing the top of the vise jaw using the aluminum to protect the sides of the slide and tighten the vise. I use parallels to keep the slide even.

3: In the lathe, turn a taper on the last 3/8" of a 2" long, piece of 3/8"dia. drill rod, matching the taper on the side of the sight.

4: Mount the drill rod (taper end down) in the mill and tighten the collet (leave as little of the drill rod exposed as possible for rigidity).

5: Move the knee of the mill up to the quill and align the drill rod with the dovetail. Do not extend the quill, move the knee to meet the quill for added rigidity.

6: Now simply use the "Y" axis of the mill and push your sight into position.

I had a 1911 that the sight would not budge on, and this method moved it. I have used it a couple times since and it worked both times.