PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy of my No1Mk111

303carbine
09-30-2013, 12:06 AM
I shot some 150 grain Hornady's over 42 grains of H380 and was amazed with the accuracy, I shot a three shot triangular group that measured 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch at 52 yards.
With the factory irons and my 55 year old eyeballs, that's not bad. I'm happy with the results to say the least.

Outpost75
09-30-2013, 12:10 AM
I would like to see what it does for three or more TEN- shot groups, excluding nothing.Three-shot groups don'tvprove anything. There are no "lucmy" ten-shot groups. Anything less than 1 mil.is Victory!

303carbine
09-30-2013, 12:58 AM
When it ever stops raining here, I am going to the range to check it out a bit further, I am going shoot a full mag and see how it does on paper. This rifle was a restoration project and shows good possiblities so far. It was restored out of a trashed Lithgow and a sporter BSA.
I know a three shot group isn't a definitive test, but it does show promise. I restored it to go hunting with, I believe it is accurate enough for that purpose.
When I get to the range, I will update the post.[smilie=s:

303Guy
09-30-2013, 01:27 AM
That's not too shabby at all. I'm looking forward to further results. My 'accurate' Lee Enfield's never give me an excuse for missing the target - it was me! Mind you, thinking about it, I've pulled off some pretty tidy shots. Not groups, just first shot hits where aimed - the proof being in the dead critter - at fair ranges. You know, 303carbine, you are making me want to get out and do some shooting!:mrgreen:

A three shot group can tell you a lot. If it's bad it won't get better - but if it's good it gives you hope. And if it can shoot the first three shots into a tight group then why not the next three, and the next? But I've had groups were three were in a tight cluster, two opened it out a bit and two opened it out even more. Dang that's challenging. It could have been the wind. It really was gusty and strong gusts at that. I like to think it was the wind! [smilie=1:

I'm sure you know the SMLE has a reputation for shooting more accurately downrange than up close. I don't know if that applies to sporting bullets.

303carbine
09-30-2013, 01:43 AM
It definitely shows promise for what I should be able to do with it a bit further out. I just wanted to see if it would shoot reasonably accurate after the restoration. I built it to primarily hunt with, accuracy at longer ranges is a good thing.

milprileb
10-02-2013, 04:09 PM
4.5 inch groups with cast bullets at 300 meters and I have witness to that.

How accurate can a No1MkIII* be ? At least 1.5 MOA at 300 meters!

303carbine
10-03-2013, 12:11 AM
4.5 inch groups with cast bullets at 300 meters and I have witness to that.

How accurate can a No1MkIII* be ? At least 1.5 MOA at 300 meters!

I'm not sure if I could do that, but I will try all day long for sure.:bigsmyl2:

Gtek
10-03-2013, 01:13 AM
If my old memory serves me- if she is still in full dress, how that barrel is getting touched out front can have a lot to do with how she acts after the pipe gets warmed up. Gtek

303carbine
10-03-2013, 11:56 AM
It's been raining constantly here, as soon as I get a little bit of sunshine, I will be off to the range to put a full mag through it and see where it shoots after warming the barrel.

303carbine
10-04-2013, 12:14 AM
I got to test the No1Mk111 out today between cloud bursts, I got a quick 6 shot group off before making for drier places.
I fired fast off the hoo d of the truck, it shot into a 2.5 group at 55 yards, not bad for shooting fast. I am going to tune up a load with the Krag brass I boutght today and see if they make any difference in group size.
Hey Longbow, do you know the correct pressure point bedding for the No1Mk111 rifles?

303Guy
10-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Say you know, I have a copy of Howe's double volume book "The Modern Gunsmith". I wonder if it's covered in there? I'll take a look.

303carbine
10-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Say you know, I have a copy of Howe's double volume book "The Modern Gunsmith". I wonder if it's covered in there? I'll take a look.

I did a search on Skennerton's site a while back, the article said said to have upward and downward pressure at the muzzle and under the front band of the No1Mk111.
I am going to try that method, it was referred to as a "packed rifle'.
That's the same method that the guys at Enfield performed on Queeen Lizzie's No1Mk111.

303Guy
10-04-2013, 03:04 AM
My uncle who was WWII armourer then gunsmith told me of haw a 'properly packed' SMLE could shoot so well at long ranges. He was referring to cork packing in the barrel channel. He said the SMLE was more accurate at longer ranges due to the spiral bullet path which dampened down (or did not get worse) down range. It's that packing method I'm trying to find out about.

Howe mentions barrel to wood front and behind the two barrel bands. I didn't read what he says about the nose cap arrangement.

303carbine
10-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I used cardboard wrapped around the barrel under the nosecap behind the front sight and under the front barrel band, I sure made a difference, it's also the first one I have done.