PDA

View Full Version : Bradley .22 rifle

rosst
09-29-2013, 10:36 PM

Hi, probably not a rifle you guys would know about, unless you were in New Zealand 20 odd years ago when Hugh Bradley decided to put them into limited production. He also made a .magnum version and a center fire action which i have never seen in hunter and target/varmint versions i believe. Probably only made a few thousand examples which has of course made them scarce on the ground and sort after. The problem was price, they were more expensive than say a Brno so they were up against stiff competition for the average kiwi hunters dollars, we are a conservative bunch.
Hawkins barrels were used and have a reputation for outstanding accuracy, mine lives up to its rep, being a tack driver with most ammo i have tried.
They were made in different grades/options, mine has the ten round mag and the 5 round mag in the butt housing with 16 inch barrel and factory suppressor.
When i picked it up for the first time i just had to have it, the feel, balance of the rifles is superb, its perfect for a kiwi hunters rifle. With the short barrel and mounting of the sling swivel it carries low keeping it out of the way. The stock/fit is very good, slim without being a toothpick, the pistol grip naturally supports the hand.
Metalwork is of a high standard with deep blueing, whoever the machinist were they obviously took some pride in their work.
My example has been carried over miles and miles of countryside back in the day, mostly for coons with fox terriers. For the last few years its been put aside for other more specialized/longer range rifles but i decided recently to spend some money on a trigger job and get her out and about again. i will leave the rangefinder at home when i go for a walk across the paddocks, fit a good 4X scope and do some old school hunting again . . . .

cheers R.

starmac
09-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Neat, I always thought bradleys were tanks.

atr
09-30-2013, 07:36 PM
nice clean looking rifle...
I still have my old .22 single shot....first rifle I bought...J.C. Higgins.....and I still use it for squirrels and the occasional racoon raiding my corn patch

NoZombies
09-30-2013, 07:38 PM
It's a great looking rifle. Please give us a range report when you have the chance.

Also, how quiet is the moderator? It looks fairly small, but looks can be deceiving.

rosst
10-01-2013, 11:33 PM

a quick session at the range this morning with CCI standard velocity ammo at 50 yards with an old jap 8-32X44 Tasco target scope on top. Four 5 shot groups and one 3 shot ( end of a packet ) all around half and inch which is as good as that ammos accuracy potential in any of my .22s

better make a move, work calls . . .

cheers R.

rosst
10-02-2013, 03:23 PM
i have never heard of a Higgins rifle atr, i will do a google later in the day . . . but i have read about hunting/shooting your coon, sound like tough critters. Read 2 books lately by Leon F. Whitney on training bloodhounds, he mentions his coon hounds and hunting adventures often which i enjoyed very much.

the moderator works very well, more so with subsonic but also useful in taking the sting out of the high speed stuff. With good sub ammo you cannot hear the sound of a shot a few yards from the rifle. Heres a good example of how good they are, i was once overlooking a rabbit warren from about 70 yards away from good cover, there were about 8 rabbits in and around the burrow entrance. i shot all of them without the others being aware of anything going on. i have a few moderators, we call them suppressors, i will put up some pics later in the day.

its a pity Bill you have so much trouble having them, theyre very popular here, especially on the centerfires now. If you can get NZ hunting magazines you will see most shooters have one on the rifles, thats bush shooters and tops shooters as well. Theyre lighter and more effiecent now as the makers fight it out to get the shooters business. The other day a young guy was shooting some groups with what i thought was a suppressed .243, sounded like a .22mag, turned out to be .25/06

rosst
10-02-2013, 04:05 PM

from the left - .308 overbarrel, 12 inches long, 3 inches ahead of the muzzle

.308 and .223 can types, forward of muzzle

2 x .22, steel parkerhale and alloy

.22 mag and .17 hmr - 6 inches long - .308W for size comparison

the Bradley is 4 1/2 inches long and built like a bank safe, forgot to put that in the pic . . .

i had almost saved enough for a new very light suppressor when i came across a heavy barrel .308 the other week, luckily it turned out to be a tack driver so i dont feel so bad about soldering on with the present ones. .. for a bit longer.

cheers R.