PDA

View Full Version : Modification to Lee 6 Cavity Sprue Handle

leadman
09-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Just before I had received the new first new style 6 cavity sprue plate handle to leave the factory I was thinking of a modification to the original handle.
Well, I finally got around to doing it and it works very well. It pretty much eliminates the sprue not cutting all the way when the mold is too cold. Very easy to do with a file or a Dremel tool, just file or grind away the metal even with the section by the rocker part of the handle so this new section will travel under the sprue plate. The angle that stops the travel of the sprue plate handle is changed as well as the nose of the rocker section is rounded.
In the hopefully attached picture the original handle is on the left, my modified handle is in the center, and the new Lee handle is on the right.83086

propwashp47
09-29-2013, 10:23 PM
nice fix every one will need to try that out

leadman
09-30-2013, 03:39 AM
The new style handle is available from Lee seperately for those who do not want to do the modification plus it should be on the new molds by now.

nhrifle
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I just did this mod to one of my moulds this morning and it lets the sprue plate shear off the excess easy as can be. Only took a couple of minutes in my mill to make the cut and then deburr the edges and round the nose. The rest in my collection will get this treatment soon. Thanks for posting!

Hardcast416taylor
09-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Still helps to have the mold adequately pre-heated before you start.Robert

Rattlesnake Charlie
09-30-2013, 04:08 PM
That is a good idea.

I have purchases a couple of the handles from KAL Tool. Wow. The length of the part making contact is longer, and it has way more leverage. Since I can move the cutoff handle from mold to mold, I figured I could get by with two of them. Just another consideration.

GLL
09-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Is the new LEE version still powder metal technology or machined steel like the KAL ?
The KAL is outstanding !

Jerry

leadman
09-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Same material for the new style Lee. It is always best to preheat your mold to around 425 degrees at least. This modification just helps eliminate the use of the screwdriver between the mold body and the contact area on the handle for a mold that is not quit hot enough. I did try it on a mold that was room temperature and it did work but took some effort to get it to cut.
My way of thinking on the sprue handle is if it takes more than 1 finger to cut the sprue the mold is too cold. I have never broken a sprue plate or handle in the many years I have been using Lee 6 cavity molds.