PDA

View Full Version : wax for wet weather

testhop
10-30-2007, 08:02 PM
:coffee: i have for a long time wiped down my firearms with johnsons floor wax the outside and the stock the t.c.hawlkini take the barrel out of the stock and caaaaoat the barrel and barrel chandle wellafte4r the season is over i clean them verry good to remove the wax:castmine:

JMax
10-31-2007, 12:54 PM
I use RIG metal preservative for blue steel plus dessicant in my safe.

nicholst55
11-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I've used Johnson's paste wax on my hunting guns for years and years. RIG works well also, but I have seen cases where guns will rust under the RIG. Unusual instances, to be sure, but it does happen.

EEZOX gets my vote for the best rust preventive oil. I've seen a number of independent tests where it proved to be superior to a number of other popular products.

22cf45
11-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I use wipe mine down with Rig after each use and place it in a safe with a Goldenrod. Never have had any rust.
Phil

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
for years ive gave my guns a coat of car wax before hunting season. Up here in the north its a given that there going to get wet and the wax has allways worked.

KCSO
11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
When I brown a barrel I rub bees wax into the barrel when it is hot and I coat the butt, the barrel channel and the lock inlet with bees wax. You can throw a gun so treated into the pond, pull it out, swab it off and go back to work.

waksupi
11-05-2007, 10:35 PM
KCSO, I use exactly the same method.

mooman76
11-05-2007, 10:53 PM
You can also rub wax like parafine or beeswax on the finish for those with the nice shiny guns to break up the reflection before hunting season and it won't hurt the finish of coarse. Just remove it after hunting season to get your gloss finish back.

Char-Gar
11-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Years ago, when I used to hunt waterfowl in the salt water marshes of the Texas coast, my shotgun would rust before I could get back to the car. I used liquid Turtlewax auto wax on the metal and didn't have any problems after that.

Ricochet
11-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I've long used Johnson's Paste Wax on my rifles.

doc25
11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
I like rusty rifles![smilie=1:

uscra112
11-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Yes, Johnson's Wax does a real good job. Have used on modern guns for years. But it does need renewing from time to time

Just let me suggest an alternative, though probably more appropriate for muzzle-loaders and other Holy Black fans.

Long ago when I first started studying up on muzzleloaders and the old-time smiths who made them, I learned that whale oil, beeswax and linseed oil were about all they had. Linseed oil was an important commodity, even in the 18th century, because it made such good foundation for paint, especially for ships. Reasonably easy to get, if you were anywhere near civilization. I started using it on the metal, as well as the wood.

Linseed oil makes a much thicker coat than wax, and it will stay on for a long, long time. I've bought one otherwise very sad old Hopkins and Allen shotgun, over 100 years old, probably hadn't been used in 50- 75 years, which had what I think was linseed oil under the forend, and it had zero rust under there.

I've noticed that linseed oil will even keep that corrosive residue of black powder off my flinter's metal parts better than anything.

It is easy to clean linseed oil off metal with turps or mineral spirits.

Quite a wonderful plant, is flax. Wonderful cloth, linseed oil, and flaxseed meal to eat or feed to the livestock.