PDA

View Full Version : Silicone paste lube attempt.

stinjie
09-29-2013, 04:31 PM
After reading about the silicone spray as a lube, I tried some silicone paste.I loaded 30 rounds of 158 gr RNFP for 357m with 6.5 grains of Unique and REM 5-1/2 primers.Big time pain in the rear to apply by hand.Put through Lee sizer to 358.Loading with this silicone past lube was a breeze,as everything was super slick.the crimping went super smooth I don't think any other wax or alox lube will stick to the dies for quite a while.Went to the range and fired off all 30 rounds.Lots of smoke and accuracy was good.Ran a jag with patch thru and pushed out LOTS of lead.Much more and bigger flakes than with other lubes.I think I'll use the past for lubing my press turret and,keep lubing bullets with beeswax,ATF and STP. Thanks for reading,stay safe-Stinjie

geargnasher
09-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I've been meaning to try that for years, thank you for confirming one of my suspicions! I've run several wear tests with dielectric compounds and some silica-thickened silicone lubricating greases, my conclusion was that the fumed silica might act as friction modifier and improve bore consistency, or it might just shred the boolits, but shooting would be the only way to tell. I'm VERY surprised about the smoke, that's one thing I was pretty sure would be almost non-existent with the silicone pastes, so again thank you for helping put that idea behind us.

Damn, I was hoping it would work, though. Oh well.

Gear