PDA

View Full Version : Handi-Rifle Custom Shop?

Tatume
09-29-2013, 08:42 AM
Hello Folks,

For several years I’ve been interested in getting a really nice top-break rifle. I’ve looked at Blazer and Merkel in particular, but have not been able to get one. The reasons why are another story, which I will be happy to tell if asked.

Over this same period I’ve acquired several barrels for my H&R Ultra Hunter. The H&R is sufficiently accurate, and takes down for transport nicely. I’m very pleased with this rifle, especially now that a fellow in Virginia has built a smokeless muzzleloader barrel for me. But, I would like a nicer looking rifle, and one that is even more accurate.

Although I joined the Grey Beards group, so far I haven’t found what I seek. Do you know of a reputable shop that restocks Handi-Rifles? I’ve seen articles by one fellow here who puts together “barrel stubbed” rifles, but who won’t do it for others. Do you know of anybody who offers this service? Are there aftermarket parts for the H&R, things like steel trigger guards (stock is plastic), and machined opening levers (the stock item is bent sheet stock, which doesn’t look nice but works perfectly). A custom scope base is another item I seek, one that moves the scope forward about two inches (compared to the H&R base).

Before anybody accuses me of trying to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear, I reject the premise. The H&R Handi-Rifle is an excellent platform on which to build a custom rifle.

Thanks, Tom

Goatwhiskers
09-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Tatume, untill I can do some more research I will touch on two of your concerns. At this time there are no metal trigger guards or forend spacers available, several people have looked at the prospect but nothing has ever come of it. You could cut off the trigger guard even with the frame keeping the inner part which houses the trigger and barrel latch springs, then replace the outer part with a brass guard such as are used on muzzle loaders and are available from various suppliers. Replacement stocks are available, you could check with suppliers to see if pre-finished stocks are available if you don't have the skills. The barrel latch, well maybe someone could make a suitable outer part and weld it to the inner part, it would be too expensive to mill out the whole thing. If I come up with more info I'll let you know. GW

gandydancer
09-29-2013, 11:32 AM
none better. http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/aboutus.html

Tatume, untill I can do some more research I will touch on two of your concerns. At this time there are no metal trigger guards or forend spacers available, several people have looked at the prospect but nothing has ever come of it. You could cut off the trigger guard even with the frame keeping the inner part which houses the trigger and barrel latch springs, then replace the outer part with a brass guard such as are used on muzzle loaders and are available from various suppliers. Replacement stocks are available, you could check with suppliers to see if pre-finished stocks are available if you don't have the skills. The barrel latch, well maybe someone could make a suitable outer part and weld it to the inner part, it would be too expensive to mill out the whole thing. If I come up with more info I'll let you know. GW

dangerranger
10-05-2013, 10:09 PM
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/NEF-stocks/Handi-rifle-stocks.htm

Heres a guy that makes semi custom stocks for the Handis. DR

dagger dog
10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Tothtool.com offers a Handi Rifle CNC machined steel fore end spacer with screws for 25 bucks plus shipping, it's real nice fitting and a dark matte black,perkloafm.com has a couple real good articles on Handi trigger work.

If you pound the gun parts section on Ebay you might be able to find a late model Topper trigger guard, I think the model # is 158, it still had the top opening lever and the steel trigger guard can be modified to work with the Handi.

I have both installed on my H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic.

NLS1
10-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Ditto the D and T customs! My son has one and it is absolutely incredible. Plus David is an awesome upstanding guy. The build quality on this thing blows my mind.

Dan

bubba.50
10-08-2013, 12:28 PM
don't know if any are still available but, a vendor on graybeard's made a run of steel triggerguards & for-end spacers a while back. look around over there or just ask in the h & r section and you should be able to dig up some info. also, midway used to offer them( fore-end spacer at least).

grumman581
10-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Funny, I didn't remember H&Rs having plastic trigger guards. I guess I never paid much attention to it. I have an older "Topper" .410 model. Not sure on the year, but my grandfather owned it and he's been dead for at least 35 years and I remember him having it when quite a bit before then. I just pulled it out of the back of my safe and took a look at it. The opening lever does not appear to be bent sheet steel, but the trigger guard is definitely plastic. I seriously doubt that the recoil pad on it will offer any cushioning considering how hard it has become. Might as well have a steel butt plate. Not that it really matters for a .410 though.

dagger dog
10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Tatume,

Try this scope mount for your Handi it has eight Weaver style cross slots and can give more options, it's by Ironsighter model IR-NEF M, Handi-Rifle Tracker 172 Ultra Topper drilled and tapped, comes with three screws and allen wrench, from Midway.