PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 sight adjustments

beezapilot
09-29-2013, 06:24 AM
I don't usually buy new weapons, but through some twisted logic it made perfect sense to buy my first pistol in .45 ACP off the shelf. The proud owner of a Sig P220 with factory 3 dot night sights. I've casted, loaded, and now have ammo that cycles well and holds a nice group.... about a foot low at 50 feet. (RCBS 230gr RN over 5 gr of Bullseye) The sights are not adjustable, but rather numbered for elevation. To adjust the point of impact I am to (1) Calculate the correction (2) order the correct sight (3) install and adjust for windage.

Before I call Sig customer service- am I overlooking something???

I've not done much in the gunsmith arena, is that something that requires a special tool?

I know that when I assume things... but if sight change is required for accuracy, is that something that might have shown up in a test fire scenario at the factory when they fitted the sights?

SO there you have it, a rant and some questions rolled into one.

Lead Fred
09-29-2013, 07:26 PM
They want you to buy the after market sights. My 220 has the older 2 dot sights that are not adjustable.
They work with my load, so I have not even looked for any.

what I can tell you is that the item below makes a big difference on your hand.
Best $12 I ever spent

http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/pro_handgun.php

beezapilot
09-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Thanks Fred- I'm recoil tolerant, but have ordered one for my wife-

beezapilot
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
I guess it is a good thing that I find humor in things, at least for a while. I spoke with Sig customer service and they were well acquainted with the problem- he said that was the way that Sig set their sights up. Said that rather than a pumpkin on a post sight picture you "had to completely cover your target with the front sight"... uh... so you can't see what you're shooting at??? "Yes, our military and lawenforcement clients prefer it that way". I've seen newspaper commentary that spoke of police firing over 50 shots to bring down a bad guy, not being able to track a moving target might have something to do with that I suppose. On another note, like LeadFred said they would be happy to sell me a $54 (plus S&H) sight to put it where I coud see the target.... I knew I should have bought a another Springfield...

alrighty
09-30-2013, 03:53 PM
I guess it is a good thing that I find humor in things, at least for a while. I spoke with Sig customer service and they were well acquainted with the problem- he said that was the way that Sig set their sights up. Said that rather than a pumpkin on a post sight picture you "had to completely cover your target with the front sight"... uh... so you can't see what you're shooting at??? "Yes, our military and lawenforcement clients prefer it that way". I've seen newspaper commentary that spoke of police firing over 50 shots to bring down a bad guy, not being able to track a moving target might have something to do with that I suppose. On another note, like LeadFred said they would be happy to sell me a $54 (plus S&H) sight to put it where I coud see the target.... I knew I should have bought a another Springfield...

Sir , I agree with you concerning the Sig "combat" sight picture as they call it.You can either learn to aim this one gun differently or you can do as I have done on a couple and change out the sights.I was very unhappy about the the P.O.I. of my new P226 and after researching I found out about the "combat" sight picture.It is not hard to change them out if you have a Sig sight pusher and a chart of their number heights.I have since traded the P226 for another 1911 but I do still have the sight pusher that I could let you borrow if interested.I will have to check and see if the one for the 226 will fit the 220 but I think it will.I still have a P229 and it works with it as well.On both the P226 and the P229 in .40 caliber I simply bought the set made for a 9mm and it changed it to a pumpkin on a post sight picture on my targets from 7 feet to 21 yards.
Here is a chart with the heights concerning Sigs sight number system.
Another suggestion would be to look at the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights ,The night sights version stand out the best for me in both daytime and dark.
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/sigsauer/night-sights
Rear Sight Heights:

#4 = 5.24mm (0.21 inches)
#5 = 5.52mm (0.22 inches)
#6 = 5.80mm (0.23 inches)
#7 = 6.07mm (0.24 inches)
#8 = 6.35mm (0.25 inches)
#9 = 6.62mm (0.26 inches)
#10 = 6.90mm (0.27 inches)

Front Sight Heights:

#5 = 6.01mm (0.235 inches)
#6 = 5.88mm (0.230 inches)
#7 = 5.74mm (0.225 inches)
#8 = 5.60mm (0.220 inches)
#9 = 5.46mm (0.215 inches)
#10 = 5.32mm (0.210 inches)

beezapilot
09-30-2013, 06:22 PM
That, Sir, is very kind of you. I've loaded up some different loads and will be going to the range to proof soon. If you would be so kind as to check that the tool will fit, I'll see if I can calculate the required sight and determin if Sig gets more money out of a brand spanking new pistol of if Ameriglo gets my dough.
Thank you.

alrighty
10-01-2013, 07:00 PM
That, Sir, is very kind of you. I've loaded up some different loads and will be going to the range to proof soon. If you would be so kind as to check that the tool will fit, I'll see if I can calculate the required sight and determin if Sig gets more money out of a brand spanking new pistol of if Ameriglo gets my dough.
Thank you.

I have been informed the sight pusher will work on your P220 , I just remembered that I have used it on a P225 as well.I know I had to modify it somewhat to use the Truglo TFO sights , some aftermarket sights are a little tall to fit the pusher.Here is the link showing the factory pusher.
http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=29&productid=89