PDA

View Full Version : Any Happy Colt SS Combat Commander XSE owners?

birch
09-29-2013, 04:43 AM
I ended up doing some trading for a nice old Ford 8n tractor. I had to get rid of a really nice cz527, but ended up with this nice 4.25 Commander as part of a long trade. the more I have shot and held it, the more I am starting to like it.

I have never been a fan of series 80 blocks, but this one is designed/fitted so well that I can barely notice the intrusion. I even like th downturned duckbill grip safety. Like all 1911's it is a natural pointer, but the serrated mainspring/gripsafety/and novac sights really make this gun shine.

Also, at first I truly thought someone had the barrel upside down. It only took a couple of seconds to realize that the toggle would not allow that, but still it looks like the barrel throat is on the top. I was concerned with feeding issues, but it has fed anything and everything I have given it. I even loaded an empty into the magazine and it chambered that baby.

I was just wondering if anyone else has this style Colt and their overall opinions on the piece.

Thanks again as usual.

ElDorado
09-29-2013, 05:56 AM
First off, congratulations on the new acquisition.

I don't own one, I've never even held one, but I was thinking about getting the same gun, but in 5 inch. I currently own an Auto Ordnance 1911A1, which I've fiddled with and replaced enough parts that it is now a decent, reliable shooter, and I like it.

I must admit that I don't know much about the series 80, other than it has a safety block or transfer bar (or something)for the hammer. I realize that a lot of people don't like that feature. Can you tell me why you're opposed to it, or at least "not a fan"? Is it just an affinity for the old style or are there other considerations?

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but since it's on my "list", I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm glad you like the gun. It makes me a little more stoked to get one.

MGD
09-29-2013, 06:53 AM
Have shot several that friends own (3), 2 in 45 acp 1 in 38 super. They all fed everything and shot well for a factory gun. Personally, I have a L.W. Commander (blued) that is my CCW gun of choice. Colt really did well with the design. It has enough grip for good control, enough cartridge for the job, yet it's still light and flat. It carries very well in a Milt Sparks Summer Special ISP holster. I will always have one. I am very in a L.W. Commander in 38 super.

MtGun44
09-30-2013, 12:56 AM
I have a friend with a full sized XSE and he is quite happy, it is a well made pistol.

Bill

birch
09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
"I must admit that I don't know much about the series 80, other than it has a safety block or transfer bar (or something)for the hammer. I realize that a lot of people don't like that feature. Can you tell me why you're opposed to it, or at least "not a fan"? Is it just an affinity for the old style or are there other considerations?"

Eldorado,

The series 80 has a little plunger that is pushed up when you pull the hammer. This clears the firing pin channel to allow the hammer to drive it forward. The issue I have had with some 80 series guns is a gritty and harsh trigger pull that feels more like a two stage military trigger. It seems that colt has taken alot of time cleaning everything up and the extra creep that usually goes along with the safety feature are barely noticable.

Tdart
09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
I've had one for a couple years now, and love it. I agree, it is a natural pointer. I've never shot groups with it, but I hit the pig or duck gongs from 15 yards 9/10 times. And I'm not even a particularly good shot.

The fit to my hand is perfect. The finish has developed some "rust" spots from carrying in my truck (warm humid Alabama summers). Not sure how to take care of that, but it is purely cosmetic.

Keep it. You won't be sorry.

Silver Jack Hammer
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
You know, if while your cleaning your Series 80 a couple of parts launch and land in the carpet and get lost, you can call Brownells for a shim that is designed to fit in the frame and your Series 80 will be in all practicality a Series 70.

bhn22
09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
But you do have to remove the slide mounted plunger as well, or it's permanently "drop safe".

ElDorado
09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
"I must admit that I don't know much about the series 80, other than it has a safety block or transfer bar (or something)for the hammer. I realize that a lot of people don't like that feature. Can you tell me why you're opposed to it, or at least "not a fan"? Is it just an affinity for the old style or are there other considerations?"

Eldorado,

The series 80 has a little plunger that is pushed up when you pull the hammer. This clears the firing pin channel to allow the hammer to drive it forward. The issue I have had with some 80 series guns is a gritty and harsh trigger pull that feels more like a two stage military trigger. It seems that colt has taken alot of time cleaning everything up and the extra creep that usually goes along with the safety feature are barely noticable.

birch,

Thanks for the info. I'll be following this thread.

birch
09-30-2013, 04:05 PM
The first "80" gun that I had was a ParaOrdnance. It was the worst and I actually did buy the little dam/shim from Brownells. I had a friend (CWP Instructor) tell me that if something ever happened as far as having to use the gun to save my life, the jury/prosecuter/judge might take the modification into consideration against my favor. I figured since the para was mainly a concealed gun, the trigger pull might be the least of my worries if I had to use it.

T-dart.

I agree that it is not a target gun. Usually accuracy is my first concern when trying out a new firearm, but for some reason, the pointablility of this baby trumped punching small holes on paper.
I had my brother out when I first got it. He was not blessed with a trigger finger when it comes to handguns, so as usual, he was struggling to keep them on a paper plate at 10 yards with slow fire. I loaded up a mag and fired a full mag in 4 or 5 seconds and only missed the plate once. He thought that was pretty neat--I did as well mostly because I think I could duplicate the results more often than not.

9.3X62AL
10-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Had a Series 80 Gold Cup Nat match not come along at a killer price, my 1911A1 choice would have been a stainless Colt Commander XSE. The difference in finish and fit between the XSE and the base model Colt offering is like night and day, and the price bump is only ~$125. If any examples ever return to the known world, I still might snag one.