PDA

View Full Version : New England Custom Bullets, Inc - Jackets

Phineas Bluster
09-29-2013, 12:25 AM
I recently obtained some .30 caliber jackets from New England Custom Bullets, Inc., one of our vendor/sponsors here at Cast Boolits.

Upon receipt, ten jackets were taken at random from the lot of one hundred received. These were numbered 1 through ten with a felt marker and weighed and measured. The results are contained in the table below:

Wall thickness was measured with a vernier caliper as a ball micrometer was not on hand at the time. Concentricity was not checked for lack of a proper micrometer, however, I expect the concentricity to be good judging from the consistency of the other dimensions.

Wall thickness is greater than jackets previously used and will require I turn a new core seating punch of smaller diameter than I presently have on hand. I intend to make a flat base open point bullet with a six caliber tangent ogive in the 160 - 165 grain range and have figured that a punch of .268" diameter will be needed.

The "as delivered" diameter is just a bit too large (we're talking tenths) for my core seating die to be a slip fit. The jackets will be run through a ring die to reduce them for my core seating die. This is not a criticism of the jackets. I have run into this before with different lots of other makers jackets.

Now, I just need to find the time to make a new punch so I can swage up some bullets for testing.

You can PM bullet maker 57 at New England Custom Bullets, Inc. He is knowledgeable and quick to respond to questions. Delivery times are very good. I had my jackets a few days after I placed the order.

PB

Lizard333
10-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I've made some real gems out his jackets. Good stuff.

Greg in va
10-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Does he make other jacket sizes/Cal. ?

DukeInFlorida
10-05-2013, 09:50 AM
He doesn't have a web site (yet) but did list his offerings in the Vendor Section:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181287-Bullet-Jackets

Does he make other jacket sizes/Cal. ?

Greg in va
10-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Thank you Sir......

bullet maker 57
10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
PB, Thanks for taking the time to take all the measurements that you did and putting the information in a table. It is very easy to see how consistent the jackets are. My jackets have been rolled on a Junke machine and are concentric. Thanks for the review. I welcome any and all comments.

Lizard333, I haven't heard from you in awhile. Thanks for the review. ( need more jackets yet)? LOL

Thanks gentlemen
Pete

BLASTER62
10-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Like this one Pete, when I set up to make a projo I check each function before I make a bunch.

bullet maker 57
10-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Exactly like that one if I remember correctly.

BLASTER62
10-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Exactly like that one if I remember correctly.
Too bad he went out of business!

bullet maker 57
10-09-2013, 07:58 PM
It is to bad. I hate to see businesses fail. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those machines.