PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you should take a video camera hunting...

Sweetpea
09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I finished up my muzzleloader hunt yesterday evening on a little buck.

I had some issues starting out, with brush blocking shots.

Yesterday afternoon we took off on a 3 mile hike to another saddle to see if we could locate a buck to fill my tag. There was a little buck feeding there, with a doe and a fawn. The buck was lasered at 258 yards.

I told my buddy Nathan, that's just too far... I have open sights, and that's just a crazy shot.

We started working around the hillside, to get closer, but the buck decided he was going into the trees, and if he did, he was gone.

Nathan lasered the buck at 304 yards, and told me to hold a foot and a half high...SURE...

I laid back on the steep hill, with a rock under my right shoulder, and pulled the front sling swivel into my left knee. I took careful aim, and squeezed the trigger.

This is when I expected the buck to run off, and we could continue on our hike...

The buck DROPPED, CRUMPLED, whatever you want to call it.

I was STUNNED, to say the least. That's a stupid long shot, and I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

We hiked over, gave him a finishing shot, and stripped him down. The only bone that came out was the skull.

That 3 miles back to the Rhino sure seemed shorter...

Brandon

Sweetpea
09-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Wow, nobody calling BS, or saying it was unethical...

Lucky works.

dbosman
09-30-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm sure your Nathan was an expert at ranging and sighting, so the shot was fair.

horsesoldier
09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Congrats! What was the load and rifle? Any idea on what the drop was?

Sweetpea
09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Knight Bighorn, 120 grain equivalent of loose pyrodex, 245 grain powerbelt.

I have no idea what the drop was, but the wind blew it about 2.5 feet.

Went straight through the hips, didn't damage the hams or the backstraps.