PDA

View Full Version : lapping the chamber of a .40sw

kweidner
09-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I have a Taurus 24/7 that has a very sharp entrance to the bbl from chamber. I suspect has a bit to do with the leading I get from this gun. This 40 load only leads in this gun. How can I lap it out? Any suggestions?

Tatume
09-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Here is the chamber drawing for your cartridge.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/40%20SandW.pdf

If you are certain you're not looking at the shoulder on which the cartridge headspaces, you might be able to taper the throat a bit. However, I have several guns with abrupt throats, and it doesn't cause leading in any of them. My opinion, the leading is attributable to something else.

Take care, Tom

RED333
09-28-2013, 10:26 PM
UM, I dont think you want to mess with the chamber on a 40 S&W, it head spaces off the front or mouth of the case.

Tatume
09-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi Red,

Like I pointed out (take a look at the chamber drawing), there is a shoulder for headspace and a throat. The throat may or may not have an abrupt shoulder. This would not affect headspace. However, I doubt it would affect leading either.

Take care, Tom

MGD
09-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Take the slow and easy route, clean well then polish. See if that solves the problem. Polishing can't hurt. Lapping can.

kweidner
09-30-2013, 05:40 AM
I think I am going to fire lap it. Certainly wont hurt it. Never done a semi auto before. Stay tuned.